Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Healthy overclock?

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Yeah I think you'd only have to worry about that really on massive overclocks.

Have my 6400 now at 6600 speeds, seems relatively fine, temperatures a bit higher but nothing to worry about. Maybe a new cooler would be tempting after all...

Differences in 3dmark06 (cpu scores)

@2.13 1817
    @2.25 1877
    @2.39 1999
    @2.45 2048

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

Hi All:

I'm relatively new to this overclocking mullarkey (muddled with it years ago with an old Duron, but nothing since, so it's pretty much all new to me all over again)

I picked up a Core 2 Duo E6320 (it's a "G", in case anyone asks), and it's giving me 3.3GHz stable (472 * 7.0) at 1.375v - this seems to be the best stable speed I can manage. Core temperatures are maxing out at 50C but I'm using a Scythe Andy Samurai Master (dumb name, feckin' huge though) heatsink/fan when I run Prime95 on both cores simultaneously.

Based on this (considering my chip is a 1.86GHz part where yours is 2.4GHz stock) I suspect you could push your chip a bit harder if you felt like it, DeafVision?

Gadget

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Not always, Sometimes the lowe chips clock higher. But that does not always mean it will be faster. As different ammount of cache ect ect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Anti wrote:
    Not always, Sometimes the lowe chips clock higher. But that does not always mean it will be faster. As different ammount of cache ect ect.
    yeah and inspecter gadgets cpu has the same amount of cache as the top end (4MB) so that is a really nice clock you got your self there man. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

I was going increase it this morning bu I went to bed... Ill go do it now for the laugh... and do tests on it overnight. :rolleyes:

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Advertisement

Should I lower the multiplier?

Now I just got my 1st windows fail to boot screen... I had it set at 8 multiplier and I went up to 2000 in the FSB thing... I think my bios are different to alot of peoples..

This is where I up the voltage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

DeafVision wrote:
    Now I just got my 1st windows fail to boot screen... I had it set at 8 multiplier and I went up to 2000 in the FSB thing... I think my bios are different to alot of peoples..

This is where I up the voltage?

wtf 2000 well thats wrong.yep try upen the voltage and see.

awhir wrote:

ill have to take a picture of my bios screen... Its nothing like ive seen before.. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

awhir wrote:

I'm not so sure - these things are quad pumped, right? My FSB is set to 472, but CPU-Z is reporting something like 1890 (472 * 4?) in the "Rated FSB" box?

As I understand this stuff, you're better off keeping the multiplier exactly where it is and meddling with your FSB. If 2000 is in fact your bus speed, you've gone for 500MHz FSB; with the 9x multiplier on the 6600, that would imply a CPU clock of 4.5GHz :eek:

Try something lower in the FSB stakes, like 350 or 400; keep the multiplier the way it is, as you'll get more headroom out of your RAM (I'm running decent 800MHz modules with relaxed timings, which is probably the only reason I'm getting the speeds I am; with a 1:1 FSB:memory ratio, my memory is running at 972 MHz, with the same ratio, yours is trying to run at 1GHz with a 500MHz FSB). Work up slowly, use Prime95 and Memtest to ensure that all is well.

Good luck!
    Gadget

• Advertisement

Heres my bios screen for when im overclocking(not my exact one)

asusp5n32esliplus_BIOS2.jpg

and heres 2 overclocks since yesterday..

overclockidle-2.jpg

Overclock6.jpg

Havnt tested it yet at 3.2 but ill be playing games tonight.. so should be grand then ill run ORTHOS for 12 hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

awhir wrote:

Isn't this thread about overclocking processors and processors performance, not graphics cards?

tuxy wrote:
    Isn't this thread about overclocking processors and processors performance, not graphics cards?

said some where cant find now, that i wanted to beat his 3d mark score so he is score here so i posted mine here.

also 3dmark is not 100% gpu ,cpu can make big score diffrence and this is about overclcoking and when you overclock you bench and thats what i done.

awhir wrote:

I see 17127 as yoru score.

hmmbg0.jpg

**** thats my 06 score .

amm as i ry to look its says its gone but in ur pic its says E6600 and mine is a E6400.

Weird.

ok cant find it dam 3dmark accounts .

when i finnish cpu testing i will give it another go.

hmm... im going to make a thread about this.. post up scores one(even tho there already is one lol

• Advertisement
Advertisement