Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tiny chip in windscreen

Options
  • 05-05-2007 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭

Howdy folks,

A stone hit the windscreen this afternoon and chipped it. The chip is tiny, about 1 or 2mm across, and is only on the outside of the glass - the inside is still smooth. Questions for the more experienced: (a) is it likely to stay that way, or will it grow, and (b) if it might grow, is there anything that could be done to fill/treat it rather than replace the entire windscreen. As I said, it's really small and barely noticeable.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

AndrewMc wrote:
    Howdy folks,

A stone hit the windscreen this afternoon and chipped it. The chip is tiny, about 1 or 2mm across, and is only on the outside of the glass - the inside is still smooth. Questions for the more experienced: (a) is it likely to stay that way, or will it grow, and (b) if it might grow, is there anything that could be done to fill/treat it rather than replace the entire windscreen. As I said, it's really small and barely noticeable.

Thanks!

Best thing to do is keep an eye on it. Chances are if it is going to travel it will be noticable quite quickly. I think some windscreen replacement companies offer a service where they can inject a clear liquid into it to repair it, not sure how successful this is though.

To be honest if it is really small and barely noticeable I would leave it alone. I have a few like that in my front windscreen for ages, about the same size as the eye of a needle. They never got any bigger and were not an issue for the NCT either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Most windscreen companies offer a service where they inject the stone chip and the finished product is almost un-noticeable. You will see a blemish if you look really closely. I would recommend geting it done. If you have windscreen cover your insurance company will cover the cost, better that than replace the windscreen later on.
    Bring it to a windscreen place for them to have a look at it, if we get a cold snap then there is a risk of it spreading. Any chance you could post a pituce here for us to have a look?
    If it's a "bullet hole" type, i.e little cracks coming out of the whole then you sould get it looked at, it it's just like a sliver of the outer layer is gone it's not as critical to get it done.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭AndrewMc

Any chance you could post a pituce here for us to have a look?

Attached. Thanks for your help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

Just call your insurance company.they should be able to get it done for you for free.I got my windscreen changed last week because there was a tiny crack in it

Advertisement