Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VRT Exempt after 6 months :-)

Options
  • 05-05-2007 7:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭

Living in Belfast for the past 6 months or so.

Bringing a 2005 Porsche 997 C2S down to Dublin.

Bought it in the UK and brought it to Belfast.

The car cost me €90K Euro.

The cost down in Dublin for a similar car and year is around €130K

I have to keep it for 12 months before I can sell it.

I reckon I will still make money if I do decide to sell it in a year.

Am I missing something here? Or am I right?

Doubt I will sell it though for any money though. Love the car too much.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

The Porsche has been "living" with you in Belfast for at least six months ...or you just bought it recently?

If the latter ...you're sh*t out of luck ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Jizzer

peasant wrote:
    The Porsche has been "living" with you in Belfast for at least six months ...or you just bought it recently?

If the latter ...you're sh*t out of luck ...

Got it over 6 months ago.

Took out a mortgage on it..lol..Payments are heavy...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I think you have to own it 12 months...came up recently...or maybe have been at your current out-of-state address for 12 months. One or the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

In that case it might just work. I'm not that "up" on s/h Porsche prices to confirm or disprove your figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

You have to own it for at least six months, but afaik you have to be living outside the state for a minimum of 12 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,353 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Jizzer wrote:
    I reckon I will still make money if I do decide to sell it in a year

Yes most likely you will make money. You've owned it for at least 6 months while you were living in Belfast and you can prove this. You will need to own it for a further 12 months after registering it in the Republic (and living here). After that you are free to sell it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

According to this you have to be able to prove you were resident full time up north for 12 months before you can bring the car in and not have to pay VRT.

Looks like you'll need to stay up there a bit longer if you don't want to be taking out a 2nd mortgage to pay the VRT !

• Registered Users Posts: 22,279 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Sorry to laugh at you, but.....muahahahahah! :D

You have to be resident there for at least 12 months, and have owned and used the car for at least 6 months. You will have to prove these facts with documentation. Also, being resident abroad as a student doesn't count - hope you're not one. Surprised you didn't do more research before diving in.

Hope you don't lose too much selling the car there!

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TommyT

esel wrote:

I would find it very hard to laugh at someone in a 997, so you must drive something pretty special.

OP you will have no bother shifting the 997 if you cant get round the VRT and as everyone knows Porsches dont depreciate a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

esel wrote:

You have to be resident there for at least 12 months, and have owned and used the car for at least 6 months. You will have to prove these facts with documentation. Also, being resident abroad as a student doesn't count - hope you're not one. Surprised you didn't do more research before diving in.

Hope you don't lose too much selling the car there!

I'd doubt the OP is a student, being able to pay €90k for a 997.

Unless he has something else going on the side. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭DrivingInfo

Exemptions from paying Vehicle Registration Tax

There are different reliefs and exemptions from VRT. Even if you are not required to pay VRT, you must still register your vehicle when you come to Ireland (see Rules below). The following groups are exempt from paying VRT:

* Certain disabled drivers
    * Visitors to Ireland who have owned their vehicles abroad for more than 6 months and who will be resident here temporarily
    * People who have owned their vehicles abroad for more than 6 months and who are moving permanently to Ireland
    * People posted to Ireland as part of the diplomatic corps

NOTE: If you are moving to Ireland and are among those exempt from paying VRT you cannot sell your vehicle for more than 12 months after the vehicle is registered.

If you are required to pay VRT, then you can sell your vehicle here in Ireland when you wish, once it has been registered. Further information is available from your local VRO.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,279 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Apart from the 12 month minimum residency requirement, the OP will have to prove that they used the car during the 6 months or more of ownership. Insurance, mileage at purchase and current mileage will all be looked at.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭cL0h

TommyT wrote:
    I would find it very hard to laugh at someone in a 997, so you must drive something pretty special.

You're possibly the biggest idiot I've ever encountered !! I own a 997 so don't bother replying since by your rationale I am obviously a better person than you are.
    cL0h

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

@cL0h - first and last warning.
    Do not make comments like that. Please read the charter (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055037358) if you want to continue posting here..

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Hope the intrest rate on the finance was good, there's a hell of a lot of interest on 100k. I also would have thought most people spending that kind of money would do so in a dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭embraer170

How do they define being a student? How about people who both studied and worked 2-3 hours a week... that's working right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

embraer170 wrote:
    How do they define being a student? How about people who both studied and worked 2-3 hours a week... that's working right?

From what I've read on the subject if they consider your primary purpose to be education they take you to be up there solely on educational grounds et voila you're VRTed.

Advertisement