Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

how do i buy a car?

Options
  • 05-05-2007 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭

Hi, catchy title (i hope).

ok situation:

I want to buy my friend's almera.

he's leaving the country 3rd june. (emigrating - end of studying).

im going to be here, but im going on holidays 2nd june.

nows not the problem.

ok, he is going to nct the car on the 19th, and id like to have bought the car before the 2nd of june (ie, all registered to me, nothing more for him to do).

How does he sell the car to me? what documents does he have to have, what needs to be filled, and where does he have to send the documents that we both completed.

how long does it take for this to be processed and me getting it back? because ill need the documents to then apply for insurance (im thinking insurance from geico, USA). they are pretty nice and very cheap. its a cheap car - 800 euros, and the fact i have an international licence, insurance here is 3 times the value of the car! (i have a provisional - but im going to be driving on the m1 everyday as from july - if i pass my finals - to go to work).

anyway, low down is, documents required, and time frame to get things done? also, does he need to bundle the proof of sale?ie, we have to make a receipt amongst us 2 and send it?

Thanks for ur answers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Tails142

CHANGE OF OWNERSHIP FORM - get one from the garda station?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

To transfer ownership you just need to fill out the "change of ownership" part of the registration document for the car(your friend should have this in his possession). You fill in your name and address(or your friend can do so), and post it off to the Environment office in shannon. The address to send it to is on the registration form. The form is about 3/4 the size of an A4 page, a couple of pages green in colour. Once you have sent this off, the car will be in your name on the system and you will receive the registration with your name and address on it within a few weeks. You can drive the car once you have payed for it and insured it.

You don't need to send a receipt to anyone, just send off the form with your details filled in. I would recommend getting your friend to give you a receipt just for your records and to prove you payed for it in case of a dispute though.

You should be able to insure the car as soon as you have paid for it and sent off the form, you don't need to wait to have the registration form back to insure the car, and you don't need to carry it in the glovebox like you do in the U.S.(I'm assuming your from the U.S. by your post?:confused: ) To tax the car, you will receive a notice in the post before the tax is up and you can renew it online or in various tax offices around the country.

Hope that helps!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭$Leon$

Your going to need to get Irish insurance. You can't drive the car on american insurance. Quinn direct are your best bet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

True, I missed that issue! You can't insure the car with an American insurer unless they operate in ireland. You will need to get insurance with an Irish company with either your international license or your provisional. You can get insurance online or over the phone, they won't require the registration document.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭gobby

Spipov wrote:
    i have a provisional - but im going to be driving on the m1 everyday as from july - if i pass my finals - to go to work
    Can't drive on the motorway if you are on a provisional license.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,280 ✭✭✭✭Esel

gobby wrote:
    Can't drive on the motorway if you are on a provisional license.
    Safe to assume the OP knows that - from the 'but' in his post.

OP, as people have said, you probably can't use a US insurance company to get cover here - unless you know something we don't? Also, the seller is supposed to post the document, not you.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Spipov

well, the us company offers cover here in ireland. however, they have a requisite that the person applying must have everything registered under his name before applying.

i have a few friends here using that insurance. i think they are AIG over in uk, but are called geico in the US. they do offer international insurance and ive already been in touch with them. they said no problem to cover me here, as long as the car is registered under my name.

so it takes weeks to get the form stipulating its under my name back?not a week?

about the provisional and the m1.

thats why i want to be insured on either my international licence, or the licence i have from back home (6 years driving there now). since u cant drive on a motorway with a provisional.

im applying to do the driving test here, so thats why i want to use that method until i can get the irish licence. - long wait...

$Leon$ wrote:
    Your going to need to get Irish insurance. You can't drive the car on american insurance. Quinn direct are your best bet.

Nope.:
    from quinn direct
    Driver Requirements
    ▪ Must hold a valid Irish/UK or EU driving licence

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

I thought the OP was mad with his talk of Geico, but he may have a point!
    http://www.geico.com/auto/overseas/Locations.htm

Advertisement