Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PLEASE HELP - any advice on frogs?

Options
  • 05-05-2007 9:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

Hi, my sister's primary school class have been looking after tadpoles as part of a class project, but now that the school year is getting closer to an end and the tadpoles are beginning to look a lot more frog-like, what am i to do with them (having been give custodial care, so to speak...). I'm gonna re-realise them with the exception that i'd love to keep one as a pet, but don't know where to start. Can anyone offer me any advice, including what materials i'll need and where to get them?
    I'd really appreciate any advice/information you could offer me,
    cheers,
    Mark.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Where was the frog spawn gotten from in the first place, maybe it can be returned there. Somewhere where there is a pool or pond and not too many fish. I wouldn't advice keeping one as a pet.

Here's a site with more info.

http://www.enfo.ie/leaflets/bs33.htm
    Quote from site
    Garden ponds play an important role in maintaining frog populations. Common frogs often find new garden pons unaided and successful populations can develop within a few years (MARNELL 1997). The best way for an individual to help the Irish frog is to create a garden pond. IT must have a minimum depth of 60cm and should have shallow edges.

Do not introduce fish or exotic amphibians like the American bullfrog into your garden pond. Some of these species are highly efficient predators and can eat large numbers of amphibians and other animals

Another site
    http://www.ipcc.ie/frogfaqs.html

I could be totally wrong here but not sure it's legal to take frogspawn from the wild.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

I'm pretty sure its against the law to take frogspawn from the wild.

OP- Put them back where they belong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭King.Penguin

I disagree, not aware of any legistlation that covers the removal of frog spawn, they're not an endangered species. Not that I condone the activity.

Ok, I think the advice GPR gave you is excellent, attempt to make a garden pond out the back. Is there any possibility you could do that? Get you Dad/someone to help you. I've never made one myself but they can be as simple as digging a large hole in the garden (better ask you Mam too!), think in proportions of a paddling pool, put some waterproof plastic covering in there (roof covering, black bags etc) to stop the water being absorbed into the ground and pond drying up. Preferably put it in a shaded place because evaporation will also reduce the water level and you might have to top with the garden hose. Then you just dump the froglets in and leave them be.

Other wise, return them to where they came from.

Final option, which I wouldn't recommend would be to keep them in a large aquarium in which you'd have to feed them yourself which will be tricky. Frogs produce a lot of eggs and most of the resulting frogs do die naturally so it maybe be a bit ick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

They may not be endagered but in parts or Ireland they are quite rare. Haven`t seen one in 2/3 years and we usually have them passing through our garden

Advertisement