Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom bb wifi gateway

Options
  • 05-05-2007 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭

hi lads,

is there any way i can test the modem's range, i can't seem to get any connection upstairs or even in the other side of my house, i recently bought a internet radio, so am a little pissed that it will not work anywhere but in the same room as the modem. any ideas?
    thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

From my relatively limited experience of the eircom router it has a reasonable range and if the internet radio is working properly the combination should not be confined to one room. You can buy wi fi detectors but they would hardly be of great assistance in this case. Do you know anyone with a wireless laptop that you could invite for a visit:) Seems the simplest way to check out the strength of the wireless router.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Do you have a laptop with a wireless card? If so download something like netstumbler. Will show you the signal strength as you move around. Of coure windows will do that for you as well, but this is a bit easier to use..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭tinner777

thanks for getting back to me,

got netstumbler and it shows the following graph, not sure what it means though?

i mostly get a red bar from -200 to -100 and green from -100 to -73 and then nothing upstairs.

so is my modem the problem? is it broke or just rubbish, would i be better off getting a new /different modem or buying new aerials for it or maybe a hawkings booster?

thanks again

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

i have heard of wireless problems solved by flashing the firmware, see support pages at www.eircom.net for the netopia

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Is it by any chance an old house with thick walls?

There is also the possibility of course that its the internet radio that's at fault - any opportunity to try that out in someone else's house?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭tinner777

hi,
    no new house, normal walls, radio worked great in friends house, also now when i try to update software for router it keeps on failing?

Advertisement