Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

literature and social criticism in east and west europe

Options
  • 05-05-2007 9:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭

could somebody please help, if this seen this title in one of my sample history papers, but i dont have a clue on how to write an essay on it, id very much appreciate it if you would help me,

kind regards boger

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭lilmizzme

god help me for actually indulging in this, but what topic is it from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭boger

it is under division and realignment in europe 1945-92

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭lilmizzme

not my topic...sorry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Steve01

It sounds notoriously vague, I wouldn't worry about it coming up in the actual Leaving Cert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

I think you should base your whole essay on 1984 and animal farm by george orwell. Both can be interpreted as propoganda(criticising the soviet and facist systems respectively, fear mongering(this is the future,).
    Not only that but 1984 is set in the aftermath of an atomic war, the great fear of the period. It also signifies the great union between the U.S.A and Britain, and the new found superpower status of the U.S(the currency in Oceania is the dollar). You could write an essay longer then animal farm itself.(not that it is that long admittedly.):D
    There are many good sites on Orwells work and the modern editions all have very good introductions and notes, dealing with the varied political themes in the book. A question though, in criticising facism, is he praising democracy?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭boger

thanks very much dan. to answer your question, to answer your question i would say he was because i dont no if this is right but fascist regimes were against democracy and communism, so if he was criticising fascism who would inevitably be on the side of democracy, hope this helps.

Advertisement