Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAO Leimrod

• 05-05-2007 10:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭

Hey mate, XS is down again, so I am going to post this here :)

Regarding our conversation about the best non-SLI board for quad cores, here's what I found out today about my unmodded Commando:
    I could do 400MHz fsb for 24*7 (400x8) since 1st boot. 405 would hang in POST.
    It turns out that there is an fsb hole around there, cause I took down the multiplier and tried 1 jump straight to 440MHz and it's been stable for over 1 hour of quadruple Prime:

440yi0.jpg

After that, I tried 458Mhz, in order to get 3200MHz with multi *7 and that I could compare it with my previous 24*7 settings (400*8=3200MHz).
    It was also stable, so I kept going up and started getting my first errors at 480MHz fsb.

How's that for quad core ready? :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

also try the dfi-965s that the cammndo and the ds3 are the top 965 overclcokers .

will trough my scores next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Chosen

I had the first DS3 and I hated it...
    I've tested the following boards (in chronological order):
    Gigabyte DS3 - Abit AW9D - DFI CF3200 - Abit IN9 32-MAX - Asus P5N32-E SLI Plus - Intel XBX2 and now the Asus Commando.
    I finally found the board I am going to stick with, until Bearlake arrives. My QX loves it too :D

70820831ot3.jpg

I would love to try out the DFI 965 Dark though, cause I had both the NF2 and the NF4 DFIs and I loved them. The only company that knows how to make BIOSes ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

wow man thats 1 nice overclok congrats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

And thats on air cooling :eek:

No, that's with water cooling. A Crusader block, Laing pump 350lt/h and a dual Black Ice Stealth rad, all inside the case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

cheers chosen. I'll probably go ahead and get the commando next payday. Is there anything I should know about the BIOS before hand? Does it need to be flashed out of the box?

I'm going to be running air (either my Tuniq or IFX-14 if I can find it) plus I don't expect to be getting anywhere near 4Ghz, but the headroom will be nice.

Keep us updated anyway. How long was it prime stable at 4Ghz? What are you full list of settings (clocks, fsb, volts, ram settings... etc) that you used to get that stable?

Hows the vdroop also?

EDIT: Also, Chosen are you using the stock chipset cooling? If so, how good is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭TonyM.

your cpu voltage is reported at 1.136v I doubt if my computer would boot at under 1.5v with that overclock .

L31mr0d wrote:
    1) cheers chosen. I'll probably go ahead and get the commando next payday. Is there anything I should know about the BIOS before hand? Does it need to be flashed out of the box?

2)I'm going to be running air (either my Tuniq or IFX-14 if I can find it) plus I don't expect to be getting anywhere near 4Ghz, but the headroom will be nice.

3)Keep us updated anyway. How long was it prime stable at 4Ghz? What are you full list of settings (clocks, fsb, volts, ram settings... etc) that you used to get that stable?

4)Hows the vdroop also?

5)EDIT: Also, Chosen are you using the stock chipset cooling? If so, how good is it?

1) I haven't touched the shipped BIOS (0803). I am very pleased with it and don't really have a reason to upgrade.

2) Don't underestimate the Tuniq ;)

3) Prime at 4GHz? Not even as a joke. Only SuperPi 1M at 4GHz; Wprime and 3dMark06 and the rest, at 3850

4) Horrible 0.1V... Even at lower frequencies, e.g. my everyday 400x8, I need to give 1.425V in the BIOS, in order to get 1.32V in full load. The Vdroop mod is fairly easy, but it's a very tight situation inside the P160 with the watercooling and all, that I am waiting to make a decision on which Lian-Li to get and the Vdroop mod shall follow :)

5) Yeap, the stock heatpipes, only replaced the NB's pad with Ceramique-ish paste. Gets a little bit of fresh air treatment by the 8cm fan that aims mainly at the DIMMs. It's a P965 chipset, doesn't really need anything more.

TonyM. wrote:
    your cpu voltage is reported at 1.136v I doubt if my computer would boot at under 1.5v with that overclock .
    Ignore the CPUz reportings of Vcore, they never worked for C2Ds. I gave 1.675V for the 4GHz run.

Advertisement