Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How far is too far to be from a toddler?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/6696497.stm

The McCanns are now getting to visit the Pope. Im sorry but these people are guilty themselves of child endangerment and they get rewarded with celebrity promises of rewarding people who find their child and papal visits?

They must have some PR machine behind them.

If you scroll down the page on that BBC article you can see the distance between the restaurant and the hotel room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

I doubt the Mc Cann's feel that anything that is happening to them at the minute is any kind of reward. Not knowing where their child is, or whether she is alive or dead is about the worst punishment they could possibly get. If the celebrity/ pope connections help in any way towards getting her back then great. The plight/ fate of the child is the most important thing just now.. time enough for criticism if and when she is found alive. (IMO)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/6696497.stm

The McCanns are now getting to visit the Pope. Im sorry but these people are guilty themselves of child endangerment and they get rewarded with celebrity promises of rewarding people who find their child and papal visits?

Would you not lay off them? They made a bad judgement call but they're going through hell now and I don't think visiting the Pope is much of a consolation to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭\m/_(>_<)_\m/

simu wrote:
    Would you not lay off them? They made a bad judgement call but they're going through hell now and I don't think visiting the Pope is much of a consolation to them.

leaving your 3 kids in a ground floor apartment while you go out for dinner is not a judgment call, what it is is criminal...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

leaving your 3 kids in a ground floor apartment while you go out for dinner is not a judgment call, what it is is criminal...

I wouldn't do it but it takes far worse for a child to be taken into care. Anyways, the moral outrage is pointless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

It's not criminal, it's a dumb thing to do and one of those "why would you do that?" situations, but it's not criminal.

Where I come from it is criminal. They would have been arrested or the foster care would take them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Where I come from it is criminal. They would have been arrested or the foster care would take them.
    Where's that then? Michael McDowell Land?

New York City.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

Yep. I remember this story quite well. I was working in Manhattan at the time and remember the outrage expressed by my co-workers. I tried to explain that in the more family-centric Scandinavian societies that was acceptable behaviour but they were having none of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭\m/_(>_<)_\m/

nesf wrote:
    It's not criminal, it's a dumb thing to do and one of those "why would you do that?" situations, but it's not criminal.

are you sure...
    well it should be.
    you need a licence to drive a car, but ant idiot can be a parent

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Jotter

Gyalist wrote:
    Y I tried to explain that in the more family-centric Scandinavian societies that was acceptable behaviour but they were having none of it.

I can see why it was considered an overreaction but at the same time I wont leave my dog outside my local shop to nip in and get milk and i certainly wouldnt leave my baby. If a rest or shop wont accept buggys or are too full or whatever I just go somewhere else. Leaving a baby outside in NY, sure theres that many people there you could be sitting by the window looking at the buggy, turn around to get waiters attention, look back again and buggy gone.
    Id rather have the police called on me then to be calling the police.

In saying that though I would have said it to the parents first rather than called police on them straight off.

Advertisement