Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to teach dogs to swim?

Options
  • 06-05-2007 9:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭

I noticed that my dogs liked to wade into shallow water during the recent hot weather and they have been astonished to see other dogs swimming but never seem to want to try it themselves.

Obviously its something I would be worried about too so don't want to push them to do something they might be afraid of. I know all dogs are supposed to be able to swim naturally but how do they know that?

As with humans its always good to be able to swim so I would like them to be able to but don't know how to get them to. :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Some kinds of dogs find it easier to swim than others. Little terriers with tiny short legs and relatively big bodies don't have enough steering power for it to be easy, compared to, say, a labrador with long legs. Some dogs just hate deep water, because it's not safe for them.

The way I taught my dog was first to teach her 'Fetch!'.

When Fetch! was established as her all-time favourite game, I started throwing the ball into the water - first into a shallow part, then going a little bit deeper, very gradually.

She also had a doggy friend who swam powerfully, and she always wanted to do what Oisin did.

She now loves swimming.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Jotter

Our last dog never swam a day in his life, he was regularly on beach, beside lakes etc but hed go as far as the edge and if his toes got wet he was gone like a light! I now have another dog of same breed and hes the same, this suits me though bec I dont fancy going for a walk and having to put a smelly wet dog in the car at the end of it!!!
    If they enjoy fetch you could prob try it but Im pretty sure my guy would just stand at the edge barking! Personally I think if they wanted to go in they would so I wouldnt push them too much!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭Rigsby

As far as I know, all dogs have a natural ability to swim. Having said that the majority I see are content (mine included ) to just paddle or splash around in the shallows.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

As with humans its always good to be able to swim
    Most deep sea fishermen can't swim and don't want to learn. It only prolongs death! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

The dogs I had just enjoyed swimming, learnt via playing fetch in shallow waters or swimming with them.

And when gone jet skiing won't miss a heart beat to jump in and attack the wake :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Some dogs like to just potter about and wade in the water I guess some aren't into it as much as others. Unless you got in yourself with the dog

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭*Roisin*

My labrador thought herself to swim at a very young age. Was going for a swim myself, and left her on the shore with my sister (who also owned her, so the dog was perfectly happy!) but that wasn't good enough for her, she just powered out after me. Could be a lot to do with her breed but she just took to it natually. The fact that I was in the water probably made her more secure as well. She loved swimming, swam everyday right up to the day she died, and if we didn't take her swimming, she'd sulk and cry and take herself off so that you'd have to follow her. Waterbaby so she was. It's great exercise for them, especially bigger breed dogs who are prone to arthritis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

teaching a dog how to swim is the same as teaching a dog to walk, by that i mean you dont teach them, THEY ALREADY KNOW!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Hootie

I had a retriever that would just not go out of his depth, as soon as he felt his legs lifting he would come back into the shallow. God knows I tried everything, there is a river near me so I decided to throw the dog in after a stick in the vein attempt that maybe some kind of instinct would kick in. After that I brought into the sea by waiding out with the dog on a lead and walking parallel with the shore. After a minute I would release the lead and the dog would make a dart for the shore, I had people staring at me on the shore but I wanted the dog to get used to the water. Finally admitted defeat and the dog just did not like to swim. The dog I have now is the opposite and I can't get him out of the sea, go figure!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I was wondering that myself. Is it cruel to just throw them in? my last dog loved swimming, he was a large collie though, but now I have a westie and I feel reluctant to take him swimming coz of his little wee leggies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Some dogs are better than others but I think they all can learn easy enough and test the water themselves. Don't go throwing your dog in, I wouldn't advise it anyway. Maybe try and coax him into shallow water for a start with their favourite toy or better still, bring a pair of wellies and join them. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

Wait for a hot day too - the dogs seem to know its a good method for cooling themselves down. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Hootie

All dogs can swim, I have never heard of a dog that cannot, but I learned that my old dog just didn't like to swim. The only cruel thing to come out of this was me getting scrapped to bits in the sea, the dog was worse than a baby but serves me right.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Rogueish

When my furbaby was a puppy, while walking along the river decided that she could jump onto the water, that it looked solid enough. The shock on her face was soo funny because she didn't expect to fall into the water and it was so cold. I couldn't help but stand there laughing.

The main thing was that she was able to swim back to the bank and crawl out. Since then she chooses not to swim but I know that she can if needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Bex01

My german shepherd used to only go into the water up to her legs, but in the park I bring her to all the dogs go in deeper for a swim. She used to be scared to go in further but she got frustrated standing in the shallow water and not playing with the other dogs so one day she just went in after them and was swimming with them. I praised her for doing it herself and now she always goes in for a swim in the river or in the sea at the beach. She's a bit of a show off now :)

I wouldn't suggest just throwing them in, then they might get a fear of the water. Just let them do it themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

My dog absolutely loves to swim.. I cant actually remember the first time she swam ( have her 5 years) but each time i bring her for a walk in the park and she is off the lead she will head straight for the river and stand in it so that the water reaches the top of her legs and keeps barking until I throw her ball into the river so she can play fetch.. She would happily swim all day until she could swim no more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

My little sheepdog pup surprised me today by jumping in to a shallow pool near the sea shore and immediately begin to swim.

She seemed to enjoy it too but only stayed in a few seconds as the water must have been cold. The dobies could not believe it and initially one of them went to rescue her thinking she had fallen in. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Out of our three, the Beardie is a reborn otter ...she just loves swimming. The OES mix loves playing in the water, but only in the shallow stuff. Proper swimming isn't his thing. The terrier mix just stands at the edge and barks ...she can swim but she hates it.

Advertisement