Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer Problem

Options
  • 06-05-2007 11:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭

Hi

Sorry if this is in the wrong section I just dont know under which heading to place it.

So anyway there I was playing a good old game of CS:S when all of a sudden the power dies to my bedroom. So I was WTF??? And went downstairs to check the trip switch. I flicked it up but it wouldnt stay so went upstairs again with my brother and told him to wait here I am going to try flip it again.

So I flip it up and he starts shouting something about a bang. I was like WTF???? Again. So I Unplugged my computer, TV and moniter to try work out which one was problem.

Again turn up the switch on breaker board and it stayed. So then I smelt around and my room smelled of something burning. So I worked it out to be my moniter, Or so I thought. So I plugged my computer back in and BANG this time I am around to actualy see the sparks coming off the PSU.

Now I was livered and Pissed off. So I took all the connection off the back and opened up the computer. Unplugged all but the Mobo, 1 mem stick and the CPU.

Plugged the computer back into the socket and BANG. So now I am here.

Can anyone please help me go through how to fix or know of the problem. Would be great Thanks.

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 3800+ (Socket 939) - Retail (ADA3800BVBOX) (CP-134-AM)
    Samsung SpinPoint P SP2504C 250GB SATA-II 8MB Cache - OEM (HD-018-SA)
    PowerColor ATI Radeon X1800 XT 512MB GDDR3 AVIVO TV-Out/Dual DVI (PCI-Express) - Retail (GX-048-PC)
    Asus A8R32-MVP Deluxe Crossfire (Socket 939) PCI-Express Motherboard (MB-131-AS)
    Enermax Liberty 620W ELT620AWT ATX2.2 Modular SLI Compliant PSU (CA-024-EN)
    G.Skill 2GB DDR HZ PC4000 (2x1GB) CAS3 Dual Channel Kit (F1-4000USU2-2GBHZ) (MY-008-GS)
    Asus DRW-1608P2 16x16 DVD±RW Dual Layer ReWriter (Black) - Retail (CD-016-AS)

I suspect it might be the PSU, But will wait for your judgement

Regards
    Matdehaast

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

If you smelled something burning and saw sparks fly :eek: your PSU is almost certainly a goner time for a new one I'm afraid.

Cross your fingers and hope that's the only thing that went, open up the case and inspect the motherboard and make sure nothing else is fried.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭matdabomb

Ok thanks. Can you look at my system and see if a 500w power supply will handle the rig? I will pop into maplin on Tuesday and get one for sub 100 €

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

if you bring out to my house i let you use my psu to cheak it.

am its not a year old yet so overlcockers.co.uk should rma it.

well if ur mobo just went boom ur lucky i got 1 for sale mat :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:d

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭matdabomb

Lol whirskey. Yeah will try rob my bro's PSU when he aint looking to test it. But yeah I will take the mobo if mine is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

just take it out of ur bros pc and tell him to **** off.

oh btw go on msn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

i think everyone has somehow had their psu burn out....myself, i like countless others went for the 230v-120v switch....then BOOM, big pupley/blue explosion.............bolloxs..:D :D:D

Advertisement