Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fianna Fail Voters

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

McSandwich wrote:

Can anyone tell me how Bertie manages to come out on top, no matter how many dodgy financial dealings involving him and his cronies are uncovered. The opinion poll in today's indo still show him as the country's preferred choice for Taoiseach. People seem to like him even more each time he's found out - makes me mad.:mad: :confused:

Meh, found out what, Things which are over sold, stop being believable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭McSandwich

Boston wrote:
    Meh, found out what, Things which are over sold, stop being believable.

Much the same was said about Haughey. He taught young Bertie well, the 'most skilful, most devious, most cunning of them all' I believe he said (refering to Bertie)- I wonder what he meant? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Boston wrote:
    See you're first bit of a rant persumed I cared about any of the national issues you mentioned. That last bit, about anybody being better, is simply untrue. For instance FG plan to buy back Eircom, or at least claim to (bernard burkan (SP?)) directly said that to me. As for enda, can't relate to the man.

Yes, the mighty Eircom. Sold by FF and banted around for all to make a few quid out of. Maybe we should have bought it back. Eircom has as much backbone as FF has at the moment. Slightly more than the "2% party" however. You say you're not concerned about the national issues I've mentioned above. What other issues are there? I think the health of our people is a fairly important issue TBH. Are you not concerned about house prices? O wait, why would you? Probably have a house already. Probably a few Section 23's as well. Bully for you. Its a very real issue for a lot of people.

Of course you dont care because you cant defend the pityful effort FF has made to tackling these issues. How could anyone defend the undefendable?

stepbar wrote:
    Yes, the mighty Eircom. Sold by FF and banted around for all to make a few quid out of. Maybe we should have bought it back.

That would be an incredible bad invested, and more politically motivated then motivated out of common sense.
    Eircom has as much backbone as FF has at the moment. Slightly more than the "2% party" however. You say you're not concerned about the national issues I've mentioned above. What other issues are there? I think the health of our people is a fairly important issue TBH. Are you not concerned about house prices? O wait, why would you? Probably have a house already. Probably a few Section 23's as well. Bully for you. Its a very real issue for a lot of people.

So let me get this straight, I should vote based on what other people care about? how does that make sense. Also I fail to see how any other party plan to step in and solve things like house pricing, road congession, health care.
    Of course you dont care because you cant defend the pityful effort FF has made to tackling these issues. How could anyone defend the undefendable?

The opposition aren't making their case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

DJDC wrote:
    I am just wondering what reasons people have for voting FF in the upcoming election.FF will probally gain in excess of 30% of the national vote and be the largest party as a result.
    in fairness it is a secret ballott people aren't meant to have to divulge their preferences

• Advertisement

Boston wrote:
    So let me get this straight, I should vote based on what other people care about? how does that make sense. Also I fail to see how any other party plan to step in and solve things like house pricing, road congession, health care.

The opposition aren't making their case.

Are you saying that you're supporting FF simply because they're the best of a bad lot?

The issues described here (watch the video too) lead me to believe that the current lot have hit rock bottom and any alternative would be an improvement: http://www.politics.ie/news_index.php?topic_id=18933

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

stepbar wrote:
    Are you not concerned about house prices? O wait, why would you? Probably have a house already. Probably a few Section 23's as well.
    Tone down the personal rhetoric please, stepbar.

Boston, you wouldn't be trolling just a teeny weeny bit, would you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Jackz

I think Boston is just saying something similar to what I have said on other threads, in order for people to be convinced its time for a change;

- stop just stating that things are "terrible" and its the fault of FF/PD government.

- start explaining the ways your fantastic been in opposition for 10 years coalition will do things better.

If supporters of opposition parties are confident that their policies are better than those of FF debate the issues and not just Bertie.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Just after reading the thread, and I do think Boston is trolling. Arguing to death for FF, and refuses point blank to even consider any alternative. Seems to pick and choose what issues to discuss (sidebars earlier post was completely missed, and was very well put together) and will shoot down any arguments beating him of the table.

Anyway, id like to express my view. In the last general election my interest in politics was pretty nill. I didn't have a vote then either, but I took some bit of an observation.

I had the view that neither of the alternatives to FF could change things. FF were making excellent promises (some of which affected me) and I thought they were the party who were getting their point across and offering some excellent future changes. Didn't exactly think they were the bees knees, but better then any of the other crowd at least.

They got into government never the less, and it now comes election time again. Iv been thinking back to those promises made by FF and the fact that 90% of the time they have failed to stick to their promises and the only thing that seems to have improved under their terms in office is our economy. That's great, but I don't think we should keep a government in just because of that and let the rest of the place go to wreck and ruin. In fact, the only person in FF id slightly appreciate is Martin Cullen. Why? Because for a long time (and still is) Waterford has been a forgotten city. We have been ignored when it comes to funding and development. Martin Cullen has been very helpful for Waterford, and has effectively helped put Waterford back on the map.

Our roads are in a poor enough state and slowly changes are being made. To slow for my liking. Road deaths are a scary fact of life in Ireland, with several daily, and I do believe that FF have failed to properly act in addressing the issue.

The biggest issue of all is our health service, which is a disaster - not waiting to happen, its already happened. Harney is pretty much letting the nurses run riot and refuse to do their jobs. VHI are taking the leader board in health insurance and all other parties have to pay the piper - literally. Forcing competition, out of our market. So, I think Harney has just stood by and let things get even worse. Out I say.

Education has come a long way, but still needs a lot of improvement. Placing Hanafin in for Education was scary - I do believe she doesn't care about anything but whats close to her. All around Ireland schools need funding and if they are lucky to get it - it takes ages for them to actually get them developed. Some say this is the local councils fault. Well, then I think that she should be applying pressure and getting them to get their act together. Primary and Secondary schools are over-crowded and are in prefabs which all grant money is being wasted on, all because the government have failed to secure them funding or even a contractor.

Telecommunications is a right disaster. Eircom rule the whole area of telecommunications and any bit of competition to get us away from third-world telecommunications is bet away by Eircom with a big stick. The government sits back and looks at the mess it caused, and couldn't be bothered to clean it up.

There are so many areas that the current government while in term have failed to act on, or radically improve, as promised many times. Bertie never bothered me that much, amused me a lot, but seeing the whole issue surrounding his financial (sorry, not his but his ex-wife's) affairs which has rapidly gone from bad to worse without any proper explanation (beside the odd tear and sob story to win back those who were considering not voting him again) - iv lost pretty much all faith in him as a leader and cant trust him. He is in a position and he needs to clarify any issues surrounding him - if not for his political career, but for those who have faith and trust in him and keep voting for him and his "team".

Don't get me wrong, the finger is pointed directly at the PDs as well. I respected Minister McDowell until he decided to join forces with Berty and shut up. He was always one who spoke his mind, but not since joining FF. Also, his latest publicity stunt where he got "new information" and was considering "pulling out" of government - which was complete lies and he made a fool of himself and the people who believed he would.

So looking at all the problems we currently have, all the empty promises, the fact that FF have had a chance to fix things for long enough and have failed - I think its time we say "Thanks, but no thanks" to FF and look at the alternative who are doing their level best and making promises which may affect their political career in times to come. I don't think we will see Enda made a laughing stock across Europe. You cant compare his image to George W. Bush, as its not any bit a fair comparison. One is the leader of a small country called Ireland, the other is the leader of a huge and powerful country called America. He has acted like a dumb puppet and has made choices which effectively killed many American normal people, and innocent foreign victims. I cant see Enda or Pat Rabbit heading anywhere near that direction. Nor Berty.

The current government has failed, fact. They have failed before, and have promised reforms. That reform has failed. Again and again. Why the hell should we vote in a government which clearly can not do what they have promissed to do? When the leader is up in front of a tribunal for his financial affairs and acts as if its none of our business - when it actually is.

Why so, should we vote in for an alternative who might not sound the best but are offering a hell of a lot more then FF are, and are doing a lot better with their campaigning and putting their political career on the line? Why should we vote in someone who might actually make a difference to this country? Why shouldn't we give a new government a try?? I fail to see why people can agree that FF have done poorly, but are to scared to try an alternative.

Jackz wrote:
    I think Boston is just saying something similar to what I have said on other threads, in order for people to be convinced its time for a change;

- stop just stating that things are "terrible" and its the fault of FF/PD government.
    I gave an example, water supplies contaminated with sh*t (http://www.politics.ie/news_index.php?topic_id=18933). It disgusts me when I read about similar conditions in 'third world' countries, but it's just not acceptable in a supposedly 'rich' country like ours.
    - start explaining the ways your fantastic been in opposition for 10 years coalition will do things better.
    I agree, the opposition have been rubbish for most of the last 10 years, but FF+PD were in Government. This was 10 years during which the economy has never been better, yet still there's a lot 'more to do' even after all this time. The public service inefficiencies which were apparent 10 years ago are still there, what has been done, have they even started to implement change? Not that I can see..
    If supporters of opposition parties are confident that their policies are better than those of FF debate the issues and not just Bertie.

I am not a supporter of any party in particular. I voted for FF last time round as I thought at the time that they did a good job between 97 - 02, against my expectations. At present most parties seem to have reached a consensus as far as policies are concerned (with the exception of SF - but I can't even find their manifesto). A FG/ Labour/ Green alternative are unlikely to implement policies too far removed from what FF/ PD might - with the exception of the Green influence on environmental policy, which would be a good thing. The main difference would be a change in personnel and a fresh approach bringing with it new ideas, which after 10 years is a healthy thing in any democracy. Much the same situation exists in Britain, where Blair and Labour are starting to look tired after so long in power.

I expect you to retort by telling me that the opposition (to FF/ PD) have no experience, but that's just the nature of politics. How many of the current cabinet are experts in their areas? Oh, and don't get me started about the whole corruption thing..

• Advertisement

oscarBravo wrote:
    Boston, you wouldn't be trolling just a teeny weeny bit, would you?

I'm genuinely going to vote for no change in government. In the absence of a convincing argument as to how a new government will benefit me, I see no reason to take a risk. Some people here are of the mind "anything but FF", I'm not of that mind set. I was raised on the horror stories of the last time FG/Labour where in power, I see letting them run the country as a major risk.

People like StepBar and Scully are so blinded by there hatred of FF that they can see why anyone might vote that way, but still I don't think there's any doubt that they'll be the biggest party in the dail after the next election, so I'm not alone. I simply don't trust Labour and FG has never represented people of my socio-economic back ground. I think the Greens would rip the country apart and send us back into the stone age if they ever got into power and I think Sinn Fein should never be in government.

Now you may disagree with the above, but is it what I believe and it's logical for anyone believing the above to vote FF over any other party.

Scully, you make a lot of accurate points, but I'm not see where you're drawing parallels with other parties and how they would have acted differently.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Sully wrote:
    Just after reading the thread, and I do think Boston is trolling.
    Please read the charter. Accusing people (especially Boston) of trolling is my job.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Right. It was only a comment on what you had said, im not trying to do your job or anything. Its an opinion.

Ill take a look at the charter, just to save myself. Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

Boston wrote:
    I was raised on the horror stories of the last time FG/Labour where in power, I see letting them run the country as a major risk.
    You mean the first budget surplus in 30 years? Free third level education? Lowering taxes?

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Macker

Chakar wrote:
    It's great you're voting for the PD's then. ;)
    PD's don't have the bottle to run a candidate in my constituency

Boston wrote:
    I'm genuinely going to vote for no change in government. In the absence of a convincing argument as to how a new government will benefit me, I see no reason to take a risk. Some people here are of the mind "anything but FF", I'm not of that mind set. I was raised on the horror stories of the last time FG/Labour where in power, I see letting them run the country as a major risk.

People like StepBar and Scully are so blinded by there hatred of FF that they can see why anyone might vote that way, but still I don't think there's any doubt that they'll be the biggest party in the dail after the next election, so I'm not alone. I simply don't trust Labour and FG has never represented people of my socio-economic back ground. I think the Greens would rip the country apart and send us back into the stone age if they ever got into power and I think Sinn Fein should never be in government.

Times change. FF also changed - in many ways. Im not going to hold stuff that happened many years ago against them or any other party.

However, I will hold what has (or has not) happened (in recent years) against FF this time around. I do personaly feel (and I didnt in the last election) that FF needs to leave government. They did NOT stick to the promises set out in the last election. The countrys only real sucess is the economy. A lot is needed to be done, and FF have not done "the next steps" while in government the last two terms. This is why I am of the conclusion that we need another government. Its time for a change, and I just dont think FF should be part of that change - this time around at least anyway.

I am not "anything but FF" nor am I completely anti-FF. I would never in my lifetime vote in Sinn Fein. NEVER. I would give Greens my vote, but not (at least for now) first preference. I would not like to see Greens in government by themselves, and would only appreciate them in with a responsible government (im sure FF could handle them fine. Dunno about the PDs tho). I have seen green party members actions in Waterford, and id hate to see what he does here while representing his party, have a global affect. As for other parties, I dont have time for them.

I think FG & Labour are the better alternatives out there at the moment. Im sorry that you dont like the fact I dont want to see FF in again - its not out of hatred. They had a chance in government and they blew it. Id like to see someone else step in, take over, and see how they get on. You can be damn sure if they slip up ill hit hard against their mistakes.

Now you may disagree with the above, but is it what I believe and it's logical for anyone believing the above to vote FF over any other party.
    Scully, you make a lot of accurate points, but I'm not see where you're drawing parallels with other parties and how they would have acted differently.

Id appreciate if you didnt decide to change my username. Its what it is, and id appreciate if you didnt change it to something else. ;) (Tho, on a side note, your not the only one to make that change :D :P)

I made points as to FF have failed, and why I think its time for them to leave. Iv looked at the other alternatives, and id approve a FG / Labour collation. Wouldnt like PDs in government again, and if FF do get voted back in - I do hope they wont bring them in with them.

I wont say "Well when FG were in government years upon years ago, they messed it up. Oh its a tale that was told to me by my father, who was told by his father before him, and his father before him and his....". I wont apply the same attitude to FF or anyother party - apart from Sinn Fein, who iv never trusted and still dont to this day. For someone to use that against any government, I dont think they deserve a vote. Its time to move on, we all make mistakes and we all will change. Other partys have had plenty of time to get their act together and make a real go at a government. Its time to let them in. :)

Boston wrote:

If you don't mind me asking, what are the issues which affect you?

Do you really not consider the issues affecting other individuals/ groups, or the country as a whole when you vote?

Care to share some of your horror stories?

This is not an attack on you for choosing FF btw, I'm just trying to understand why FF are the only party who can 'do it' for you - despite everything they haven't done during the past 10 years.

InFront wrote:
    You mean the first budget surplus in 30 years? Free third level education? Lowering taxes?

Massive unemployment and political instability.

Sully, The thing is, I'm not here to try and convince you to vote FF, you want to hold there mistakes against them grand. But respect that I can have perfectly valid reasons to vote for them.

McSandwich wrote:
    If you don't mind me asking, what are the issues which affect you?

Do you really not consider the issues affecting other individuals/ groups, or the country as a whole when you vote?

Care to share some of your horror stories?

Do you give precedence to issues large affecting others over those directly affecting yourself? I'm not that humanitarian.

You asked what does "FF" do for me. Think of it this way, I don't want a change in government, and I, personally, will be not be better off with another political party in charge.

Horror stories, go look up your history. If the coalition governments where so great, why where they voted out again and again after just one term.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Boston wrote:

A leftover from the 80s FF governments and Haughey perhaps?

• Advertisement

Boston wrote:
    Massive unemployment
    The Rainbow coalition reduced unemployment dramatically... have a look at this link which shows how unemployment fell by almost 6% in just one year under the FG coalition, outperforming all of the other OECD countries in the same survey. It shows how they were ranked first in terms of economic growth among the countries sampled, and how they enjoyed unprecedented job creation and low inflation - and they did this at the same time as abolishing third level fees and bringing about the budgetary surplus that I already mentioned. How anyone can say they failed economically is beyond me.
    and political instability.
    As opposed to the Labour-FF government before them that collapsed? You think the PDs are in a position to offer stable government at this moment?

I don't mind someone voting Fianna Fail, but when reasons like that are put forward it will cause a bit of eyebrow raising.

InFront wrote:
    The Rainbow coalition reduced unemployment dramatically... have a look at this link which shows how unemployment fell by almost 6% in just one year under the FG coalition, outperforming all of the other OECD countries in the same survey. It shows how they were ranked first in terms of economic growth among the countries sampled, and how they enjoyed unprecedented job creation and low inflation - and they did this at the same time as abolishing third level fees and bringing about the budgetary surplus that I already mentioned. How anyone can say they failed economically is beyond me.

And for all their great work the people voted them out in record numbers in 1977. Unprecedented job creation untill the FF government of the 90's.
    As opposed to the Labour-FF government before them that collapsed? You think the PDs are in a position to offer stable government at this moment?

I don't mind someone voting Fianna Fail, but when reasons like that are put forward it will cause a bit of eyebrow raising.

Well they've lasted 10 years. Also not making a great arguement for labour there.

Boston wrote:

Please tell me thats not the only reason your voting in FF and not others?
    Sully, The thing is, I'm not here to try and convince you to vote FF, you want to hold there mistakes against them grand. But respect that I can have perfectly valid reasons to vote for them.

So your making comments about me holding "mistakes" against FF, when you yourself are holding a grudge agaisnt others because of their "past"?

Im not holding what FF did years ago against them. Im holding what they have failed to do from Day 1 of being in government in the last two terms against them. Why? Because if we keep voting them in thinking "they can fix the misakes and carry out their promises" things will end up getting worse not better. IF they havent even a small bit managed to improve the situations in the last two terms, I cant see them doing it this time around. Espically with such politcal unstability.

Sure, as someone here compared Enda to George Bush - let me make a silly comparsment. The Americans voted back George to fix the problems he caused. In the end, he has made things a lot worse then better as a result of voting him in.

Once biten, twice shy.

Twice bitten, anaphylactic shock

Boston wrote:
    Well they've lasted 10 years.

I think that FF are doing well because of FF Die-Hards who will always vote for them no matter what. They are a government which for some reason has great backing all the time, even if they make a balls of things (im talking about if FF really messed up here). The vote is "passed down" from family to family a lot of the time to.

Other governments will find it hard to get elected as a result of these die hards, who either care about themselves or just care about FF because they idolise them so much.

Sully wrote:
    Please tell me thats not the only reason your voting in FF and not others?

I told you why I'm voting FF.
    So your making comments about me holding "mistakes" against FF, when you yourself are holding a grudge agaisnt others because of their "past"?

Again with the coming at me like I'm trying to convince you to vote FF.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭Dalfiatach

Boston wrote:

In 1994-97? Wha?

They were a pretty good hard-working and reforming government on the normal socio-economic matters. Unemployment dropped significantly in those 3 years (from 15% to 10%), inflation was under control, exports were booming, taxes started to come down, they delivered the first budget surplus in 30 years, introduced the 12.5% Corpo Tax, reduced third level fees, won (just!) the divorce referendum....overall good solid stuff.

But I voted against the Rainbow in 1997 because I'm originally from the North and I thought John Bruton was disastrous for the Peace Process. And for that reason alone.

And d'ye know something? I regret it.

Because we've had 10 years now where this gombeen shower of chancers have taken the strong export-led, built on fundamentals, global trading economy of 1997 and turned it into an unsustainable joke of an economy fuelled on nothing but massive private debt and a property bubble. We had good governments 1987-1997. Every year things got a bit better, things got reformed, stuff got done, there was energy and positivity and hope in the air. That all ground to a halt the moment Ahern got his hands on power. All reform stopped dead. Every single issue that was in need of fixing in 1997 is still in need of fixing. 10 years of rolling in cash and our exports are down, the balance of payments is in the red, we're back to budget deficits, inflation is rampant, nobody can afford houses, we're all massively in debt, we've no indigenous industry, our broadband is an international joke, our economy is wildly over-dependent on property and construction, and our health, education, justice, transport, planning services are still in shambolic chaos. And the water is full of human sh1te.

Yeah, great job, Bertie.

Boston wrote:
    And for all their great work the people voted them out in record numbers in 1977. Unprecedented job creation untill the FF government of the 90's.
    It was 1997, not 77. And yes, the unprecedented job creation continued past June 97 into the Fianna Fail term, but most people are aware that Ireland wasn't exactly writhing in poverty before Bertie came along. It was doing extraordinarily well, economic growth only started to show its face under Fine Gael and this is a fact.
    Also not making a great arguement for labour there.
    Huh? Labour were in power from 1992 to 1997, it was Fianna Fail who had to bow out, remember?
    As it stands, there is no credible bloc to oppose Fine Gael's at the moment. The PDs do not seem to be in a posItion to form a credible alliance with FF - there's no leadership on that side whatsoever. I find it strange that a FF supporter would even want to bring it up given the current political climate.

Dalfiatach wrote:
    In 1994-97? Wha?

They were a pretty good hard-working and reforming government on the normal socio-economic matters. Unemployment dropped significantly in those 3 years (from 15% to 10%), inflation was under control, exports were booming, taxes started to come down, they delivered the first budget surplus in 30 years, introduced the 12.5% Corpo Tax, reduced third level fees, won (just!) the divorce referendum....overall good solid stuff.

But I voted against the Rainbow in 1997 because I'm originally from the North and I thought John Bruton was disastrous for the Peace Process. And for that reason alone.

And d'ye know something? I regret it.

Because we've had 10 years now where this gombeen shower of chancers have taken the strong export-led, built on fundamentals, global trading economy of 1997 and turned it into an unsustainable joke of an economy fuelled on nothing but massive private debt and a property bubble. We had good governments 1987-1997. Every year things got a bit better, things got reformed, stuff got done, there was energy and positivity and hope in the air. That all ground to a halt the moment Ahern got his hands on power. All reform stopped dead. Every single issue that was in need of fixing in 1997 is still in need of fixing. 10 years of rolling in cash and our exports are down, the balance of payments is in the red, we're back to budget deficits, inflation is rampant, nobody can afford houses, we're all massively in debt, we've no indigenous industry, our broadband is an international joke, our economy is wildly over-dependent on property and construction, and our health, education, justice, transport, planning services are still in shambolic chaos. And the water is full of human sh1te.

Yeah, great job, Bertie.

Yea, put look at the peace process now. great job, Bertie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

stepbar wrote:
    Anybody would be better than these shower of wasters. Anybody. I would love to see Bertie give the nation a promise like Enda has. However Bertie being Bertie I dont think he'd be able to. He too sly for that.

Well he can't, he announced he'll be stepping down this term!

Also it's very easy for Enda Kenny to make his contract promise because he knows he won't be leader of Fine Gael for the next GE.
    Sully wrote:
    The biggest issue of all is our health service, which is a disaster - not waiting to happen, its already happened. Harney is pretty much letting the nurses run riot and refuse to do their jobs. VHI are taking the leader board in health insurance and all other parties have to pay the piper - literally. Forcing competition, out of our market. So, I think Harney has just stood by and let things get even worse. Out I say.

I'm not suggesting it's not a disaster but results have been achieved.
    http://www.progressivedemocrats.ie/our_policies/energy/health_reform/

The nurses is a tough one, I honestly think Harney's right in her stance & the nurses are being incredibly selfish(not for the work to rule but for doing it just before a GE)

I don't think they deserve more for what they're doing. I'm not entirely sure what Harney should do to address the situation but it is to her credit that she didn't buckle because of the looming election.

As for what you said about VHI & competition she recently reduced risk equalisation payments by 20%
    article

Also it was this govenment which brought in the smoking ban. Which I personally belive has prompted the UK to follow suit. Fianna Fail are the only party that would take that risk given our pub culture. This is a measure that means fewer people will need hospital beds in future.

Our roads are in a poor enough state and slowly changes are being made. To slow for my liking. Road deaths are a scary fact of life in Ireland, with several daily, and I do believe that FF have failed to properly act in addressing the issue.

You can't expect perfection overnight. Everyone I know from Monaghan is incredibly pleased with the road/motorway(i don't know the name I don't drive) to Dublin. It's a much shorter trip on the bus than it used to be going to Belfast. Most road deaths are down to speed, & cameras are being put in. There's not much else can be done to slow idiots down.
    I don't think we will see Enda made a laughing stock across Europe. You cant compare his image to George W. Bush, as its not any bit a fair comparison. One is the leader of a small country called Ireland, the other is the leader of a huge and powerful country called America. He has acted like a dumb puppet and has made choices which effectively killed many American normal people, and innocent foreign victims. I cant see Enda or Pat Rabbit heading anywhere near that direction. Nor Berty.

When you see him on tv he just comes across as a nobody. When I compared him to George Bush I wasn't suggesting he'd start dropping bombs on some middle eastern nations. However his image is similar to Bush's - "I'll make the criminals(evil-doers) pay" Our jails are over-crowded as it is. He's just trying to appeal to the deserves punishment instinct in the average citizen. Like republicans in America do. Also he's anti-abortion & wants to modify our neutrality.

I agree with what you said about telecommuations. Breaking promises is another one but when exactly have politicians kept them?
    Roanmore wrote:
    O Dea likeable, are you serious. When FF need a hacking job to be done (ie Sunday Independent every week) they roll him out. This guy has no likeable features unless you are a FF supporter.

He always comes across very logical, measured & realistic on primetime. Despite how this post comes across I wouldn't consider myself a "supporter", they won't be getting my first preference certainly.

Stepbar wrote:
    Are you not concerned about house prices? O wait, why would you? Probably have a house already. Probably a few Section 23's as well. Bully for you. Its a very real issue for a lot of people.

I'm sorry but we're living in a country thats gone through the celtic tiger, had huge corporations create hundreds of jobs, people have therefore stopped emigrating & immigrants have arrived....

What do you expect should happen to the house prices? What in Christ's name are Fine Gael going to do to slow them down?

I can understand why people want a change & I can see there is merit to wanting a change simply for the sake of change. I just wish there was someone other than Fine Gael!

Advertisement