Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog lovers needed

Options
  • 06-05-2007 12:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭

Hey guys,

Just thought I would let you know about an event called dog-jog. Its going to be a great day for anyone who loves dogs!

www.dog-jog.org

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭Rigsby

It's a great idea and also for a good cause. Hope it's well supported.
    Thanks for letting us know. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Dalas

Thanks a million! I hope so too, they have gone out on a limb since it hasnt been done before so they are really nervous about how it will do! So comments like that are great!! I know its going to do well though they have had a good reaction so far!

Opps! I should probably mention if anyone has any ideas or wants to help out just email them. They'd be delighted to hear from you. They were on the radio this morning!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭JB1

great initiative.I'd surely join if I can find a way to get me dog into morley park..without public transport lol...

Where abouts are you coming from? They were thinking of letting Dublin bus and the luas know about it and maybe they would make an exception for the one day! you never know!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭SuzyS1972

You know I was going to do this then I read further into the ASH website and I am horrified that they do not mention neutering male dogs at all in their re-homing policy
    It just says that spays should be done at 7 months or after the 1st season ( assuming the adoptees are not stupid enough to let the dog get caught or ASAP if not already done

God I just don't get it - WHY oh why are rescues not neutering their dogs before re-homing them.
    Surely this is only adding to the problem ??? Why keep taking dogs in and not neuter them - I was under the impression that this would be the most important aspect of any rescue.
    I understand some run on limited funds but would it not be better to take in 5 dogs and neuter them all then 15 and recycle them ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Leeby

SuzyS1972 wrote:
    You know I was going to do this then I read further into the ASH website and I am horrified that they do not mention neutering male dogs at all in their re-homing policy
    It just says that spays should be done at 7 months or after the 1st season ( assuming the adoptees are not stupid enough to let the dog get caught or ASAP if not already done

God I just don't get it - WHY oh why are rescues not neutering their dogs before re-homing them.
    Surely this is only adding to the problem ??? Why keep taking dogs in and not neuter them - I was under the impression that this would be the most important aspect of any rescue.
    I understand some run on limited funds but would it not be better to take in 5 dogs and neuter them all then 15 and recycle them ?

I got my dog from Ash in September 2005 and I can tell you they're strict about neutering. He was about one and a half years old, they hadn't had a chance to neuter him yet but just flat out refused to let me take him home without him being neutered first. I swore I'd get him neutered straight away as I really wanted to take him home that day as I couldn't make the drive out the next week. They wouldn't let him go without being neutered, no exceptions, so they held onto him for the week to get it done and then drove him to Dublin for me the next week.

This is a great cause, I won't be able to make it but I'll definately be making a donation to make up for it :)

edited for clarity

Good to hear !

Hi Suzy,

As Leeby mentioned there is a pretty vigorous and in-depth interview and home visit that happens before any of the dogs are rehomed. So the idea would be that most responsible dog owners would get the dog neutered themselves and will not be allowed take the dog without it being neutred.
    Adding to the above you have to try and remember this rescue center is run on private funding the vet bills can be anywhere from 50,000 a year to 127,000 a year. They just don’t have the money/time (there are over 120 dogs) to neuter all the dogs. At least individual owners can afford it.
    Either way I am not sure by not donating you would achieve anything. The idea is to help them. Protesting by not participating really wont help. If you feel strongly about it call into them and see for yourself that they really do take neutring and rehoming very serioulsy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Anyone know how else to get info on this...their email link on the website info@dog-jog.org doesnt seem to be active?

• Advertisement

Great I am not taking away from the work they do - I stand by the fact that any rescue not neutering adult dogs is adding to the problem.

I know for a fact that not everyone who seems responsible neuters dogs as promised - my own parents put it on the long finger over and over again - and I don't consider them stupid or lazy people.

I say if they are low on funds then up the re-homing fee and neuter the dogs - or stop taking in so many - you can't save them all - I would rather take in 10 dogs , vaccinate and neuter them - find them excellent homes than take in 120 and send them out intact.

This is NOT a direct hit on ASH honestly as I know Remi and Helena do great work - I just feel strongly in a week where SO many dogs were surrendered into the pounds that if rescues are not getting the spay and neuter message across we will only ever mop up after the general public.
    I don't expect anyone to agree with me - it's just how I feel

I've mentioned to them that the mail isnt working.
    If you need anything while they are fixing it PM me and I will let them know. That ok?

cheers Dalas...just lookin for general info...how to sign up etc

ok. no worries. They are still waiting for the web guys to work their magic on the website. So as soon as the application is up and running on the web ill let you know...
    In the meantime does anyone know of any company that can help sponsor?

Pet food companies would be my bet...im sure theyd be interested in the advertising that would come with it through radio and tv (news reports) that will come with it. Or something like Intervet ireland.

cool! good point! ill pass it on.

Thanks a mil for the general feedback and support guys. much appreicated.

Advertisement