Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gerry Adams on tax (RTE Just Now)

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Listening to Adams today it was quite clear he was out of his "comfort zone" dealing with taxes and economic arguments.

I would never vote for Sinn Fein. Id be shagged if my hard earned tax Euros went to support chavs and wasters,who operated in the black economy,and who skiddaddled off on holidays every second month at my expense,while i pay thorugh the hole for everything.

No way Jose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

I think them in Government would be an absolute disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

irish1 wrote:
    Sinn Fein are very good at local politics thats where most of their votes come from
    :confused: A person can only vote for a candidate running in the constituency where their vote is based. How can the support not be "local"?

Every TD who is elected is elected because of "local" support!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

:confused: A person can only vote for a candidate running in the constituency where their vote is based. How can the support not be "local"?

Is it honestly that unclear?

He's saying that local issues are often the deciding factors in elections not national ones. I think most people vote according to who will do the best for their community, rather then blindly following a certain party.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

You'd be surprised by how people make a party vote instead of an individual vote, also some of the constituency's are quite large.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

trao wrote:
    Surely you are not suggesting an FF/SF coalition?! Bertie was quite clear when he said that he would not go into coalition. Although he was also equally clear that in this funny world of democracy, he could not stop SF supporting his nomination as Taoiseach and voting for FF legislation

forgive me if i'm wrong but weren't FF equally as clear that they would not engage in auction politics NOR would they be making any changes to stamp duty

thens theres aherns recent comments about the only problem FF have with SF's policy is there corporation tax being too high last week. this comment got overshoadowed by everything else in the last week though

so two big u-turns they may as well go for the hattrick :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Isn't it amazing what elections can do to politicans. It seems that the Shinners have learned the Feel and Fail trick of talking a lot without actually saying anything. It seems to me that Sinn Feins u-turn on these issues shows that they are no different to Feel and Fail in that they believe in nothing either, just what they will think will gain them votes. The only parties that have consistantly said the same things are FG, Lab and the Greens since the election was called. None of these parties have had policy/political u-turns since the start of the election campaign last Sunday. Sinn Fein changed their tune on taxation, the PDs on whether they should walk from government, and of course Feel and Fail on stamp duty. That from the supposedly prudent party. Now I know that FG did change its position on stamp duty slightly but the fact remains that we and Labour have been consistantly saying the same thing since the start of the election, on all the important issues.

Its clear that we need a change. Its hardly sensible that we should elect the outgoing administration to go back in given that the two parties are not exactly on the best terms at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 HAZEMAN

Gerry Adams doesn't seem to have any particular tax policy. It seemed from the interview that Gerry was very unknowledgable. I admire him for all that he has achieved in N Ireland, however I don't think it would be safe to have Sinn Fein in a position to look after our finances.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Maybe it's because he's a British citizen. :eek: :):D
    No he's not. He has an Irish passport.

Advertisement