Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Natural Stone retaining wall

Options
  • 06-05-2007 3:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

Anyone any experience building low retaining walls in the garden? I'm just looking around for information on where to buy, prices for natural stone, are there any websites that are of any use etc. I was thinking of trying a terraced layout as well and was wondering, does the second level need any extra foundations as it will be that bit higher on less-compacted soil?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,588 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I presume that is a picture of what you want, rather than what you have got? We have built retaining walls in a couple of gardens, and it depends on what effect you want.

In our present garden we made raised beds by building up about 12 to 15 inch hight walls just by stacking stone that was in the garden. By the time you pack soil behind them they kind of hold themselves up, they have been there about 8 or 10 years and have shown no inclination to fall down (they don't have small children walking on them though!)

To me, there appears to be too much evidence of cement in the walls in the picture. I would have left the bigger spaces to plant things in, but it rather looks as though its a mostly cement wall with occasional big stones. If you look at a real stone wall it is built using small and large stones so that all gaps are filled.

It really depends on who will use the garden and how it will be used whether you put in a foundation, generally I don't think it would be necessary provided you slope the wall back into the soil behind. If you like the natural look put in bits of plants as you go and it will all bed in. It you prefer a clean and tidy look you might be better to build in a more standard way with cement. If you want walls round an area for barbeques you might want to build something substantial that people can sit on.

Is there a quarry anywhere near you? Get local stone if you can, it should be cheaper and it looks better. If you can't get stone at a price you consider reasonable, you might look at recycled brick or stone if you have an architectural salvage place nearby.

This is all a bit general, but it does depend on what you want, how you will use it, where you are, how big it will be. Hope it gives you a start anyway. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Stone (Pub Sandstone) featured in these pics is available from Natural Stone Yard, Ashbourne. Walls are constructed using mortar and on a secure concrete foundation. Wall Capping is Indian Sandstone 600x300mm slab.

In this instance the walls are stone faced on bothsides of a Raised Bed for growing herbs around a 'Breakfast patio'.

P9080020.JPG

P9080010.JPG

P9080017.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 28,588 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Sonnenblumen, that's what I would call the 'clean and tidy' approach, I have to say it looks very nice and very suitable for an urban garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭secman

Roadstone do a dry wall stone effect product, I have used it and many have admired it. hopefully the pics will attatch.

2004_0106Image0001.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 CarrickD

Thanks guys for all the replies.

fantastic looking garden Sonnenblumen.

secman, thanks for the, pic that would be something i'd be interested in. did u do it urself, if so, what kind of foundation did u use?

• Advertisement

This is a dry wall, basically laid on sand just below ground level. the blocks come in various colours and sizes, they are very dense and extremely heavy, much heavier than a basic concrete block. They are pinned into each other by way of fibre glass pins and are designed to lock into each other.

The only mortar used is for the capping flags. Have to admit ,I didn't do it myself. The guy I used had never done it before either, he approached Roadstone guys and they gave him an instruction manual and talked him through it. Once he got the hang of them , he was flying.

Hoping to use them in a new build when I get around to the garden, eventually !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

secman wrote:
    Roadstone do a dry wall stone effect product, I have used it and many have admired it. hopefully the pics will attatch.

2004_0106Image0001.JPG

That's a concrete based product and shouldn't be confused with Natural stone. There are also a number of limitations with this type of 'lego block wall construction'.

Popular with some because it is relatively easy to install (and quick) and no real block/bricklaying or stone mason skills are required. There are also other concrete blocks/claddings available again cast and dyed pieces to look like real stone but not. Not the real thing!!

IMO you cannot beat the real thing, natural stone!!

Horses for courses, Some people will like the rugged look of the roadstone product, and some will like the natural stone. But IMO natural stone looks best when used as in the old style walling you would see in the West of Ireland. But when used in straight lines and with mortar, it loses that natural look, too contrived.

But there you go, if we all liked the same wouldn't the world be a boring place !

Secman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 CarrickD

I have to say I like the roadstone product, especially the thought of easy installation. I've emailed a roadstone sales rep for more information.

Thanks again.

Advertisement