Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Action Bedding;Barrel free floating

Options
  • 06-05-2007 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭

hey lads , gona put a rifle basix kit in my marlin, trigger is quite heavy, groups are alright could me better though!! was wondering would there be any point in bedding the action. Maybe glass bedding, and how would i go about this?, this is just a little project i have in my head! ive had a look at some sites and while they seem to go into quite a bit of detail, theres a couple of things im not familiar with, being ive never done it before!!! Headless action screws? theres no pictures and i would be quite sceptical of my skills at interpreting the directions accurately and i dont want to make a balls of my rifle, id crie!!
    :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

newby,

A headless screw is a 'grub screw' or 'set screw', it can have a variety of headless configurations :D but usually Allen type. The bearing point can have various designs as well such as flat, cone, oval, or cup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

Try free floating it first....

An easy way to check if it makes an improvement is to place a couple of
    thin washers between the action and the stock . This will raise the whole barrel
    and action just enough to prevent the barrel touching the stock at any point.

Try shooting it like that for a while and see if groups are consistently better or worse. Cheap and easy to reverse if it doesn't work.

Some guns actually work better with a slight pressure point between the tip of the fore end and the barrel . Better to check which it likes before making a wrong turn.

Advertisement