Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dyslexia at college

• 06-05-2007 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Has anyone who plans to go to University next Autumn been assessed for dyslexia recently? Info on where, when, cost, length of assessment etc. would be appreciated. Would be good no know whether the psychologist's report recommended extra time in exams and/or a waiver from spelling.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭boffin

I not sure about the assessment procedures but I invigilated for one or two people with dyselxia and there were several different procedures in place. Although I am not sure what factors determined the option taken it was prob due to the degree of dyselxia that the student had. One option was that a person would scribe for the student - the student would tell the scriber what to write on the exam paper. The student usually received an additional half an hour to do the exam. In cases where it was not as severe then the student was in a dedicted room, would have an additional half an hour and if needed was allowed a digital dictionary/thesaurus machine that is designed for helping students with dsylexia. In other cases the student sat the exam with their classmates with no extra time and would just explain to the lecturer the issue with spelling and grammer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 sallygap

I'm dyslexic and I studied in DCU. You register when you start as a dyslexic student and you get a laptop(not sure if that's based on the severity of your condition, I'm pretty bad). You also get an extra half hour in exams. I studied computers so it didn't affect me much.

Not too sure about getting assessed. I did it in Cork but it was pretty expensive and that was a few years ago. If you offset the cost against a free laptop though it's worth doing. As I've said that's DCU, don't know about other places.

Advertisement