Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clay Pigeon Competitions (Beginners)

Options
  • 06-05-2007 5:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

HI anybody know of any clay shooting competition's suitable for beginner's in the munster area (if needs be will travel further,any other information/advice would also be appricated).I have been pratcing with two friends for a few month's who are also intrested but dont know who to ask. I am new to the forum.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Hey there, I'm from Munster and would be interested also. I'm a real beginner.
    What part of Munster are you from mickeyr1. I'm in North Tipp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 mickeyr1

living in co limerick

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭bogteal

try ennis the have practice on thursday nights around 7 call up have a chat they are more then helpfull, you will need insurance to shoot hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

mickeyr1 wrote:
    living in co limerick

Clarina Gun Club just past Mungret do clay shoots but
    I dont have any contact details for them.

Also Vegeta here on the boards went someplace local-ish a week or two
    ago to shoot clays cant rememeber the place though.

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

What sort of clay shooting you guys into?

Down the Line, ball trap, skeet, sporting etc

but yeah there are some class places to, Rathkeale (rosemount) or Ennis are pretty close.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭dimebag249

bogteal wrote:
    try ennis the have practice on thursday nights around 7 call up have a chat they are more then helpfull, you will need insurance to shoot hope this helps.

I live in Ennis but my gun is back in Birdhill, can I rent a gun there?

anobody have contact information for rathceal or ennis clubs. i have practiced down the line the most i am hopeing to get a better understanding when i see a competition in action first hand i also heard some clubs have a double barrel only policy i dont know how true this is.(mines a pump action) and for some reason when i check the callender for up comeing competitions i only seem to get peoples birthdays have i gone wrong somewhere
    thanks for the information

is there restrictions on type of shotgun i heard that some are only for double barrel shotguns

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Chopperdog

mickeyr1 wrote:
    is there restrictions on type of shotgun i heard that some are only for double barrel shotguns

Generally, there is no exclusion on pump or repeating shotguns at any shoot, provided that the operator adheres to the proper safe gun handling procedures. i.e. barrells pointed in safe direction at all times, only two cartridges loaded etc. etc.

Single barrel multi shot shotguns are not recommended for novices and this may be a factor in various grounds frowning upon their usage.

I cannot speak for the clubs that you mentioned, as being private clubs they are entitled to implement and enforce their own rulings.

thanks for all the information it has been very helpful if anybody does hear of a clay pigeon shoot in the munster area please give me a shout i cant seem to figure out the calander of events i only see peoples birthdays posted

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Banjax

Ray Samson (Lazy Dog guns) runs a clay shoot 2 times a week out in Ballylanders, might be handy for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭webmanie

Hi mickeyr1 there is a clay shoot in a place called horse and jokey on the main dublin road about 4 mils from cashel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 conor1969

I am a beginner to the sport , have been out 4 times on corp activity events and would like to take up clay pigeon shooting on a more regular basis. can somebody point me in the direction of clubs in my area and what would be required to join these

Do you need to have a gun to join the clubs or do you join the club and then get the gun

rgds

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

There are quite a few to choose from near Dublin I think. I don't know the names off hand but there will be lads on here shortly who will rattle off the names

you can join the club and then get the gun I'd say, this will probably help with the license application anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

Conor,

Near Dublin try

Hilltop (www.pcquad.com) or
    Courtlough (www.courtlough.ie)

They're the only ones I've shot clays at - both very good - loads of ranges and options - I'm sure you'll get a few more pointed out here aswell.

You do not need to own your own firearm to partake or join the club although to get your own license, while living in the city, you should really be a member of a club unless you have permission to shoot on someones land already.

I would recommend that you call the club, organise a time to shoot - go have a look at the facilities - see what the craic is like with the other members - hire out a gun and show them all up on the range - see what kinda biscuits they have in the clubhouse and then see what you wanna do next.

Hope it helps,

B'Man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ShaneD02

hey i noticed that alot of ye are looking for clay shooting and it got me thinking about setting clay shoots.I have the land and the traps.iam from new ross in co.wexford. are any of ye intrested.???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I would be but I'm too far away. :(

Advertisement