Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's a bit rich of Labour...

Options
2»

Comments

M&#250 wrote: »
    Only after he committed adultery (a mortal sin in the Catholic Church) with Celia Larkin! But he's still waffling on about "aggressive secularism" and showing off his ashes on his forehead in the Dáil on Ash Wednesday. Now personally I couldn't give a flying f**k who Bertie Ahern sleeps with, but he's some neck trying to pass himself off as a pious Catholic for electoral gain. It'd make anyone with a shred of morality sick, be they Catholic or not. But the mass-going biddies with their rosary beads will still vote for him in droves! :rolleyes:
    Tone it down Múinteoir.
    One of the nice things about this democracy is a freedom of belief.Everyone else so far has managed to debate in this thread without feeling the need for casual insults thrown at other peoples beliefs like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Macy wrote:
    If you ever have kids clown bag, you might have no choice but to tow the religious line along with many other parents who are being black mailed into. After all, if state schools are starting to insist on baptismal certs and you want your kids to go to their local school what are you going to do?

Macy,

I thought about this when I saw the first post in this thread. Maybe not everyone who's at mass wants to be there, and is just there to make sure that their kid can get into the local school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Múinteoir

Tristrame wrote:
    Tone it down Múinteoir.
    One of the nice things about this democracy is a freedom of belief.Everyone else so far has managed to debate in this thread without feeling the need for casual insults thrown at other peoples beliefs like that.

That's the biggest cop-out argument ever! We'd never have any debate if the fear of insulting beliefs was holding us back. On that basis we couldn't criticise any political party in public for fear of insulting their voters. Gimme a break! It might be inappropriate to call someone names, but I have not done that. If you seriously think we can't attack belief systems or political parties for fear of offending their supporters, you don't have a clue about the concept of free speech.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Múinteoir's point was well made as the OP indeed agreed with. Is "mass going biddies" the specific objection? I hear worse said about just about any political party around here regularly.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Derek Scully & his FG canvassers were outside the two Catholic churches in Leixlip today. What was odd about it was that there were people on the opposite side of the road holding a poster each for him but they looked like they were protesting!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭patzer117

It's really rich of FF to court the Catholic vote, when their leader doesn't even live with the mother of his children. At least Labour have some honesty about their position.

hmm... let's look at this. Labour has a specific policy on abortion, gay marriage, the role of the church in education (remember after the Ferns report Labour trying to get the church to pull out and play no further part?) and the role of the church in general... all of which go against church teachings.

Fianna Fail has a specific policy on abortion, gay marriage, the role of the church in education, and the role of the church in general... all of which complement the church's teachings.

Yes, now i'm seeing it. So it is really rich of FF to court the Catholic vote :rolleyes:

That's the biggest cop-out argument ever! We'd never have any debate if the fear of insulting beliefs was holding us back. On that basis we couldn't criticise any political party in public for fear of insulting their voters. Gimme a break! It might be inappropriate to call someone names, but I have not done that. If you seriously think we can't attack belief systems or political parties for fear of offending their supporters, you don't have a clue about the concept of free speech.
    I was talking about the concept of respect for peoples entitlements to hold beliefs.
    This is not a thread about the legitimacy of a catholics beliefs,an atheists beliefs or an anglican.
    From what I can see you were throwing in your own disdain for someone elses religion in an off topic manner unnecessarally.
    If you want to insult peoples religions or lifestyle belief systems do it elsewhere thanks.Do not do it on the politics forum.

For the record this thread is about looking for votes from people whose belief systems run contrary to what you stand for.
    It's not a bash a church thread or a bash a lifestyle thread.
    You can take something like that up in humanities.
    End of story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

I got a generally warm welcome when canvassing for Labour outside a number of churches yesterday. One gentlemen complained loudly about canvassing outside the church, though his complaint was aimed at all parties, and had nothing to do with Labour policies.

I don't see any huge inconsistency with canvassing for Labour outside a church. How many of the church-goers are 'a la carte', I wonder? How many are using contraception on a regular basis? How many ensure they are in a 'state of grace' before recieving communion.

These are complex issues, and simplistic black/white views do not match reality on the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

kbannon wrote:
    Derek Scully & his FG canvassers were outside the two Catholic churches in Leixlip today.
    It's Darren Scully ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Mick86

wb wrote:
    I thought that he had some cheek trying to canvass the Catholic vote.

They weren't canvassing the Catholic vote they were canvassing the crowd which just happened to be coming out of mass.
    RainyDay wrote:
    ...One gentlemen complained loudly about canvassing outside the church, though his complaint was aimed at all parties, and had nothing to do with Labour policies...

Maybe, like me, he thinks all canvassers are just a bloody nuisance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Múinteoir

patzer117 wrote:
    hmm... let's look at this. Labour has a specific policy on abortion, gay marriage, the role of the church in education (remember after the Ferns report Labour trying to get the church to pull out and play no further part?) and the role of the church in general... all of which go against church teachings.

Fianna Fail has a specific policy on abortion, gay marriage, the role of the church in education, and the role of the church in general... all of which complement the church's teachings.

Yes, now i'm seeing it. So it is really rich of FF to court the Catholic vote :rolleyes:

Nice to see you ignored my original point. And if FF are so in tune with Catholic teaching, why aren't they advocating getting rid of divorce, contraception and banning homosexual activities, because they are all things that are now legal, that the Catholic Church fought tooth and nail to oppose.

Advertisement