Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

United Premiership Champs

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Don't listen to Stekelly, he is a goalie, all goalies are mental. Particularly Stekelly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Best team won it this season. Congrats United!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Draupnir wrote:
    Don't listen to Stekelly, he is a goalie, all goalies are mental. Particularly Stekelly!

Lets leave my mental health issues to PI.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Stekelly wrote:
    Nobody turned it into anything. It was a THE treble/double etc VS A Treble/Double etc discussion. The teams invovled were irrelevant. They just happen to be the only teams winninh multiple tarophies lately :D (relax Chelsea & Arsenal fans, you guy are cool too:) )

Dont try stir up a row where there wasnt one.

Not Man utd prem champs ? The THREAD TITLE LIES !!!1111!!!!!

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭joe316

but thats got nothing to do with the thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

KdjaCL wrote:
    Not Man utd prem champs ? The THREAD TITLE LIES !!!1111!!!!!

kdjac

People discussing something not entirely about the title of the thread? Will wonders ever cease?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 156 ✭✭ballroom blitz

I thought it was a bit of an anti climax to win the league while not even being on the pitch tbh. Not that I'm not delighted it was well deserved!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

*relectuantly applauds*

Personally if I were a fan Id be disappointed it wasnt taken to the wire Wednesday, I was backing Chelsea today (much in the same way I was breaking with tradition and semi backing Man U on Wed for the first few mins until it all went tits up, as it would have been a great final but ah well)

Ill be sad to see Jose go if he does (and with a near flawless record like his if they sack him for underachievement they deserve to go down the pan with their next manager), even Fergie himself said it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 156 ✭✭ballroom blitz

shane86 wrote:
    Ill be sad to see Jose go if he does (and with a near flawless record like his if they sack him for underachievement they deserve to go down the pan with their next manager), even Fergie himself said it.

Me too he definitely adds to the premiership I love hating him!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,371 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Richly Deserved title for United.
    Nice to see flair triumphing over graft and doggedness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭justfortherecor

Well done United, special mention to Giggs as well. A true legend and faithful servant to the United cause!

Kudos to Chelsea as well for making it a very interesting and tense league this year. Honestly, their performance in the 2nd half today with 10 men was nothing short of astonishing.

Should be another good battle between the 2 teams again next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 672 ✭✭✭dil999

Stekelly wrote:
    :D

But seriously, before 99 , the generally accepted and most used criteria for THE Treble was the domestic competitions. They might not be the best 3 competitions but just like th edouble is the FA cup and the league, the treble was and is, the domestic treble. Utd decided to take it as their own. Winning the league and champions league would be a double but THE double is always the league & fa cup.

If Liverpool go out and win th eleague, FA cup and CL next season my thoughts wouldnt change on it. The Quadrouple, now thats different :) thats a recent invention. Obviously, if Liverpool win that I will be proclaiming them Kings of the Universe for evermore, and will have won THE quadrouple.:)

Its always been THE treble. Ask any liverpool fan from the seventies. The league cup and the uefa cup hardly correspond to trophys own their own, let alone as part of a treble

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

PHB wrote:
    What did Fergie say :) I had to watch the match in a pub
    Fantastic to be Champs again, well desevered.
    This is what Fergie had to say - http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_2111301,00.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Congrats. Don't ruin it by being smug f*ckers now ;)

I thought Jose wasn't exactly all that humble in defeat. He kept adding cryptic things like "congratulations to the team, manager... and all those who helped them win the league", without expanding any further.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Stekelly wrote:
    :D
    If Liverpool go out and win th eleague, FA cup and CL next season my thoughts wouldnt change on it. The Quadrouple, now thats different :) thats a recent invention. Obviously, if Liverpool win that I will be proclaiming them Kings of the Universe for evermore, and will have won THE quadrouple.:)

The quadruple? That's just a formality. Oops, wrong thread :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

So happy today, this has been a great weekend , well done to Chelsea they put up a good fight, Come On United, Ferguson's Red White Army!!

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭Brendygg

Great Season in the Premiership. Hopefully do the double on May 19th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Stekelly wrote:
    Optomistic UTD fans .:)

I'll bet someone will trawl though last years threads and proclaim themsleves a prophet. :)

Alleluia Brother,

I have always had faith in Fergie , I knew he was the right man to sort out the problems united had over the last few seasons. The rebuilding is not over yet, we need a couple of signings to strengthen the squad and then theers the problem of Scholes Giggs and Neville nearing the end of their playing days but the improvement over the last year has been very evident, I expect taht to continue and United will be even stronger with more quaility in the squad next season.

I had a quick look through the soccer forum archive this evening and found some interesting pre season Views

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054969382

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054936288

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

What a great achievement for SAF and the squad. Like a few have said already I was so proud that real flair and attacking quality won out over mostly one dimensional, physical play from an allbeit very affective team.

I'm absolutely delighted United have been able to wrestle the Premiership back and I think that this has been Fergie's best league title triumph to date. Now, roll on the cup final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

PiE wrote:
    Congrats. Don't ruin it by being smug f*ckers now ;)

Hopefully if/when Liverpool win the CL for a 6th time, the pool fans will be humble in their victory and the soccer forum will all be rainbows and daisies :)

Anyway no Utd fan smugness (as yet) it seems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

MANCHESTER UNITED FC - 2006/7 BARCLAYS PREMIER LEAGUE CHAMPIONS!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

astrofool wrote:
    Ye jinxed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Shred

Congrats to United, it's well deserved in fairness.
    PHB wrote:
    Let's just agree we got different trebles

United got:

The premiership
    The FA Cup
    The Champions League

Liverpool got:

The League Cup
    The FA Cup
    The UEFA Cup

Different trebles.
    The treble I've always wanted was the domestic treble to be honest.

Either way, today is about the league, what I wanted most, and I'm very happy :)

Joe Fagan won the League, League Cup & Euro Cup in his first season too btw;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

The Muppet wrote:

This one makes for some brilliant reading!

oh, by the way, championes...championes....:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

astrofool wrote:
    Hopefully if/when Liverpool win the CL for a 6th time, the pool fans will be humble in their victory and the soccer forum will all be rainbows and daisies :)

what timing.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Congrats to ManYoo on the league win.

I agree with various posts over the last while. A league win is better than any knock out competition.

Mourinho's veiled 'everyone was against us' speech was a disgrace tbh.

Well done Ye-nie-ted. :)

Oh, and it's a nice 'interest' now. Will liverpool win another before United catch them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Shred

seansouth wrote:
    Oh, and it's a nice 'interest' now. Will liverpool win another before United catch them?

I bloody well hope so!
    p_larkin99 wrote:
    oh, by the way, championes...championes....

Shouldn't that be Campeones, campeones, ole, ole, ole btw:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Fair played to them!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Well done to Utd!
    Good to see that it wasn't money that bought the title! Hopefully next season Liverpool and Arsenal can also put in more of a challenge and make it even more exciting! Really can't see anyone out of these 4 making a challenge :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭joe316

Dont think it has been mentioned but a special thank you to Henrik Larsson, his arrival boosted everyone at the club, the players and the fans over the tough christmas period. And more importantly gave Rooney the kick up the ass that he needed at the time and he has finished the season much better than otherwise expected.

Thank you Henrik, you may not be getting a medal but at least you can have the satisifaction that you were a big part of the success.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Credit where it's due, ManU :)
    The best team always wins and yiz have been in league-winning form for a while now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Thank you Henrik, you may not be getting a medal but at least you can have the satisifaction that you were a big part of the success.

Apparently Man Utd are going to make him an unofficial medal.

9 out of 15 premiership are United's, but I really think this is the sweetest. Re-throning Liverpool was incredible, but Chelsea took domination to a whole new level in terms of pure consistancy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

Yayz! Well done to everyone at United, a really great season and surely United's best league achievement yet.

To pick out some individuals for praise:
    Ronaldo - has turned a torrent of abuse against both his character and his footballing ability (showpony, no end product etc) into a torrent of praise. He's our player of the season and had one of the best Premiership seasons I can remember.
    Scholes - Overcame a career-threatening injury to prove his class. Central midfield was always our problem area, but he solved it.
    Vidic/Ferdinand - Immense all season, best partnership in the league and probably rivalled only by Bruce/Pallister in Ferguson's era.
    Giggs/Saha - Their form at the beginning of the season laid the foundations for success
    Rooney - His form at the end of the season wrapped it up
    Van der Sar - Despite an iffy spell recently, he has proved our best keeper since you know who. That his 'gaffes' have all involved little more than parrying the ball to the wrong area really says it all.
    Evra/Neville/Carrick - The unspectacular positions in the team, we couldn't have done it without their consistency

Given that the above represents probably our first choice eleven, that means every one of them had a good season. That's incredible really. Thanks also to Fletcher/O'Shea/Brown/Park/Kuszczak/Silvestre/Heinze/Larsson/Smith/Solskjaer/Richardson who all stepped up when needed.

And, of course, fair play Alex Ferguson - best United manager ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

the last 30 seconds of the match yesterday, captured at the Bishops Blaze Pub just yards from OT.then, que 5 minutes of madness, quality!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-kiEs_yu04&mode=related&search=

jester77 wrote:
    Well done to Utd!
    Good to see that it wasn't money that bought the title!(

:confused:

Yea, because Rooney, ronaldo et all came dirt cheap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

theres a difference between buying nearly an entire squad in a few yrs compared to buying one or 2 expensive players each year. Teams who are doing well are going to have more money so there hardly gonna stick every penny in the bank. If Abramovich didnt exist and Chelsea won the league with a decent squad and not every player was world class, they would still go and buy big names players but no way would they be able to buy as many as they have bought with abramovich there. If Utd didnt win the league in 92 or whatever year it was and before the big investors started appearing, they wouldnt have had the money to buy keane or other big signing they made in the mid 90's and even then, they bought the players over time. If liverpool win the european cup, do you think fans will be happy if benitez buys no players in the summer? If Liverpool/Arsenal were richer they would be paying way over the odds like Utd have to every year. And now that Liverpool seem to have more money with the americans and soon arsenal, dont be suprised when there paying way over the odds. They only bargain utd will ever get now is if they find a good 16yr old player!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Fair play to United. I wrote them off in the pre-season and had low expectations of alot of their players. Gladly say that I was wrong and am very happy that the title is back with a footballing team.

If Liverpool/Arsenal were richer they would be paying way over the odds like Utd have to every year.

United's net spend is very similar to Liverpools net spend.
    In terms of net spend, it goes
    Chelsea - by a ****ing mile
    Man Utd
    Liverpool - closely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,847 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

ziggy67 wrote:
    Its arrogant crap like this that makes otherwise neutrals such as myself hate Utd

Its not arrogance, its just a bit of banter. 9 times since the competition began 15 years ago isnt bad...so in a sense it has come back home!

I hate to see people stating they're neutrals and then say they "hate" a team. I live with 2 guys and they carry on the same way. Its silly really, sitting on the fench and rubbing it in when United lose! I never could understand it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,847 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Yea, because Rooney, ronaldo et all came dirt cheap.

Well Ronaldo was 12m at 18, Rooney still potentially could only cost United 22m...Same with Carrick, only 14m has gone to Spurs (though its still a fair amount of money). Evra at less than 4m, Vidic at less than 7m, Heinze 5.5m, Sivestre 4.5m, Park 4.5m, Smith 6m (& Danny Pugh) and Saha at just under 13m.

There was next to nothing in terms of transfer fees of the following players Scholes, Giggs, Neville, Brown, O Shea, Eagles, Larrson, Solskjaer, Flecther and Richardson.

Rio at a staggering 29m brings it up a fair bit, but the list above was bought over 5 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I'm delighted we won the league but gutted how far behind we are from winning the European Cup...to be honest, Milan are the only team I could have seen stopping us so convincingly...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Give it a rest lads.

We know there are plenty of ABUs out there that have no problem with the team, so much as the fans. God knows there are obnoxious United fans here but there are from many other clubs too.

All you can do is say fair play to the club for out competing the Arsenal, who play the best football and Chelsea who have the most money and the strongest squad.

That in itself is enough to praise them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,424 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

ziggy67 wrote:
    In a sense that is even more arrogant than the original statement! Love how football didn't exist pre-Premiership though! :rolleyes:
    well. The chant is specifically related to the Premiership trophy; so it DIDN'T exist pre-Premiership.:rolleyes:

Anyway, its a bit of football banter; i've spoken to chelsea fans who are confident the trophy will 'be back where it belongs' next season. Its a bit of fun, not something to get worked up over.

• Advertisement

Trilla wrote:
    Well Ronaldo was 12m at 18, Rooney still potentially could only cost United 22m...Same with Carrick, only 14m has gone to Spurs (though its still a fair amount of money). Evra at less than 4m, Vidic at less than 7m, Heinze 5.5m, Sivestre 4.5m, Park 4.5m, Smith 6m (& Danny Pugh) and Saha at just under 13m.

There was next to nothing in terms of transfer fees of the following players Scholes, Giggs, Neville, Brown, O Shea, Eagles, Larrson, Solskjaer, Flecther and Richardson.

Rio at a staggering 29m brings it up a fair bit, but the list above was bought over 5 years.

Carrick only 14m? :D I am not complaining that they spend money, just saying thats its a bit stupid saying its a good thing United won the league instead of chelsea buying it.

United bought the league, thats what you have to do now a days too stand a chance. You can argue the roots of where the money came from till the cows come home, but that doesnt matter.

Well like, what does bought the league mean exactly?

If you mean in comparision to other clubs,
    Just doing a quick look on soccerbase.com (not exact, just based on maths in my head :)):
    In the last three years net spend:

Chelsea - 262 million
    Man Utd - 45 million (incl Ruud which they skip)
    Liverpool - 70 million
    Spurs - 37 million
    Arsenal - 10 million

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

every player in the world should be sacked and then clubs can sign who they want on a free transfer. That'll solve buying the league...................forget that chelsea will just spend 10 times more than anyone else can on wages :)

If you go back to when Ferguson took over Utd, I wonder how much he has spent altogether compared to how much chelsea have spent since Roman took over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

So when that thread started a few weeks ago with the premiership results predictor and how the table would look hands up who had Utd ahead by 7pts with 2 games to go ;)

As satisfying as it is for a fan to have their club win the league I have to say I am genuinely happy for the players.

Giggs: 9 Titles, superb achievement.
    Scholes: The quiet man but deserves everything as he is so genuine.
    Ferdinand: Vidic was the making of him and a few years after paying 29m for the lad hes finally got the trophy he was after and went some way towards paying back his transfer fee !
    Van der Sar: Fannied around at Fulham for a few years and no offence to them but great to see him get towards the end of his career with a championship medal.
    Carrick: Despite the huge transfer fee (not his fault) and some time to adjust Im delighted for him that he made the right decision to go to Utd and his career can only get better for it now.
    Ronaldo & Rooney: Lets face it, 2 of the best young players around in the league and in both cases worked their bollix off for 99% of the season...Rooney dragged the average down there :p Rooney came to Utd to win trophies and Im delighted for the lad, he'll pnly get better. Ronaldo, his play simply deserved that medal :)

All in all, it guarantees the team will hopefully stay together and they can only build on it :D

A happy Sizzler!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Of course, no team lasts for 20 years, unless you buy 22 £30m 18 year olds :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement