Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pending legislation-what happens during the election

Options
  • 06-05-2007 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭

I am specifically referring to the "Fair deal for Nursing Homes". The legislation for this has been prepared and was due to come into practice in Jan 2008. The Act has not yet been passed. I presume if there is no change of Government it will go ahead after the election. If there is a change of Government, are they obliged to complete pending legislation or scrap the lot and start again.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭gilroyb

It it hasn't been passed the legislation falls and has to be reintroduced. Likely to happen if it's the same government, but not certain.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭jos28

Thanks Golroyb,
    Thought as much. It's a really good scheme, can't imagine any party coming up with a better idea. Hope it goes through, I was depending on it for my Mother's upkeep.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭gilroyb

I didn't recognise the particular legislation you mentioned. When I googled it just there I get the impression that it's a bill that's been voted on and passed already, just with a start date of 2008. This is different to a suggested piece of legislation that hasn't yet been voted on. If it has been voted on but doesn't start till 2008, it will almost definitely go ahead. If it hasn't been voted on, then it may well be reintroduced, but not certain and depends who gets in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭jos28

It is the proposed scheme where everyone currently in or about to go into a nursing home will pay 75% of their income towards their fees. The government will pay the rest. When the person dies, the state will take 15% of their total estate. For someone on a contributory pension it equates to a payment of €150. The average Dublin nursing home costs €1000 per week. So you can see why it is attractive.
    According to the Dept of Health helpline, it has not yet been passed. So here's hoping.

Advertisement