Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Roeder Sacked.

• 06-05-2007 6:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭

breaking news - glen roeder sacked as manager of newcastle according to richard keys on sky sports.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Yeh, only fair, he's been ****.

Big Sam to take over, and Newcastle to easily finish in the UEFA cup spots next season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Aye, some lad on 606 there saying he swears on his daughters life that he seen big sam leaving Newcastle airport on the way to the Sunderland game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I always wonder about the timeing of these things. i mean , why not wait a week till the seasons over?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

It was coming, no point in waiting if the manager knows some of his team now, he be able to sign players early and have a few more weks with his team rather than being stuck till xmas.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

PHB wrote:

Big Sam to take over, and Newcastle to easily finish in the UEFA cup spots next season.

It seems like that is the way things will happen, alright. Roeder has been absolutly **** this year, and he can have no complaints about it. It was on the cards for a long time and the result at the weekend against Blackburn was probably the "straw that broke the camel's back".

It was unusual that the board chose to sack him now. With only 7 days until the end of the season, it wouldnt have made any difference to leave him there for the week..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,080 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Thats true, why dont they just hang on. Its like they're tryign to be big and sensational about things.

I suppose the only reason to fire him now, is for Sam to come in, meet the players and get a week or 2's work with them before they all head off on holidays. If however they dont announce Sam (or some other full time replacement) in the next week its utterly pointless firing Roeder now. Even if he is ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

So the worst kept secret in soccer is out. It's common knowledge in football circles that Big Sam left Bolton to move to newcastle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

The team's been ravaged by injuries though, one more season with less injuries is the least he deserves, surely the fans can see that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Tbh Roeder shouldnt even be managing, think he got the only season he was gonna get. Altho its a dead cert for Big Same wouldnt shock me if Bruce was mentioned cant see him staying with Brum.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

The team's been ravaged by injuries though, one more season with less injuries is the least he deserves, surely the fans can see that

nah i think it was inevitable, they are a far cry from the team that was challenging for the title, a club of Newcastle's size and money power should be pushing for champions league spots. even with the injuries a bottom half finish is appalling really. they were going nowhere under Roeder.

• Advertisement

They had about 15 players out at one stage though! How does any club cope with that? How do you reinject the team with any level of consistency?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Not a huge surprise, although i did expect them to wait till the end of the season especially after reading this morning - http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=465168&CPID=8&clid=4&lid=&title=Freddy+rejects+Big+Sam+rumours&channel=&

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Yeah newcy would be a decent enough team if they sorted out their defence and had a decent manager. Great midfield and attacking players in the team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

PHB wrote:

Easily? I think you'll find there's 10 other teams who might disagree with you there. I like Newcastle, like me own team they are perennial underacheivers and I'm certain one day they'll come along and win a cup or something but definately not "easily". Few good players, few not-so-good = ingredients for a lower/mid table team. If they got rid of that Shepperd character they could be a decent force again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Easily :)

Newcastles squad is actually really really impressive.

Goals: Shay Given - Top Class
    Midfield: Parker, Butt, Emre, Dyer, Duff, Solano, Milner.

To me, a midfield of
    Duff-Butt-Parker-Solano is very impressive.
    Then they have some great squad depth. That's a pretty good midfield, and if Duffers doesn't get injured, they have a real real threat on both wings.

Attack: Owen, Martins, Luque and Ameobi

Owen is world class, Martins has been incredible this season, and is a really good player.
    Luque is very very highly rated, in everywhere but Roeders mind, and I think if Big Sam is managing him, he'll be very very impressive.
    Amoebi can do a good job.
    That's a very good strikeforce, and aside from the top 4, and Spurs, I think it's the best strikeforce in the premiership.

Defence: Moore, Carr, Bramble, Ramage, Taylor, Babayaro

Ok, this is ****, I won't lie. Taylor is a pretty good player, as is Carr.
    I think Big Sam's best coaching quality is getting his defence in order, and organisation is half the battle in defence. I expect to see nearly all the signings for the team to come for here.

I think they are defo gona be in the UEFA cup spaces next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Rammage looks a good young player, they need a quality centre half, if only they could have got Woodgate back.

Rumours of Hypia going to them would be a massive bonus, but a huge loss to Liverpool.

Actually I'd prefer Milner on instead of Solano, Luque before he went to Newcastle was top class, similar player to Reyes but much more clinical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Dun laoire

If big Sam does go to Newcastle you can put your house on it that Kevin Nolan will be playing there too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Excellent timing by the Newcastle board. Same day United win the LEague and Sunderland do. What a fine up-standing boardroom.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

To be honest, you lot are either idiots or insane.

Reoder had more injuries than any other premiership manager this season, along with the fact that he was stuck with **** signings by other managers (babayaro, Leque, Bramble, Carr) and being stuck with only one striker for a lot of the season.

Albert Leque is a really, really bad player, terrible actually.

He is not highly rated everywhere except for in reoders head, in fact he is so non-highly rated that NO spanish clubs wanted him in january when newcastle were offering a free 2 year loan (as in, you take him, we'll still pay his wages) and PSV are only taking him because they are getting pretty close to that same deal (they are paying some wages) and they play in a **** league.

GR is a good manager, nobody could have done better this season with the problems he had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I feel sorry for Roeder given the circumstances but they said he resigned so it's probably for the best that he moved on and will go to another club...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

many think he resigned before being pushed (and that perhaps Newcastle didnt want to wait and miss out on Big Sam) he was only there a year and had originally been so on probation having to get his badges i think. With such a situation in place he was most likely not on a long term contact and thus not eligable for a payday if sacked, so he resigned.

Many Newcastle and non-Newcastle fans may think this was a mistake but a fit Newcastle squad inc Owen managed by big Sam plus one or two proposed defensive signings in the Summer have to be European candidates not in the bottom half of the table.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

I think Newcastle are still suffering from the Keegan legacy in terms of having neither players who can defend nor good defensive coaching.

That said, GR is a fairly good manager imho and the injuries and lack of transfer options have led to his downfall. I sincerely doubt any manager could have done much better given the players he had available.

A fully fit newcastle, as PHB demonstrated, have a very strong squad on paper, with the exception of world class defenders. The potential to do well next season is there and I think Roeder should have been given another season with a fit squad.

I'm not a fan of Big Sam. I think he's a common man's Mourhino who employs negative tactics and generally is bad for the game. I don't see him winning Newcastle fans over, especially if he plays them the way Bolton played.

Dreadful descision. I can see Sunderland becoming the big team in the North East based on the way Newcastle are running the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Just need to say something to the people defending roeder, I do not think he is good manager, he is very average. I know there has been many injuries and that can be an excuse for SOME of the results, but there has rarely been a inspirational performance from us this season under roeder, in most of the games we havent even played well, and it is just not good enough, from every team he has put out there are good enough players there to get a result i.e against chelsea, man utd , arsenal (we have gotten a point from each of these teams) but the fact that we couldnt be arsed putting a good performance in against "lesser" teams is just not acceptable, roeder has no idea of good tactics, there has never been a game where i have said "tactically, roder got that game spot on".

He is a nice guy and i hope he does well where ever he goes but the matter of the fact is that we were going nowhere under roeder, hence the sacking/regination.

Hopefully Sam or whoever we have in charge next can bring back the good ol' days on tyneside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

the fact that we couldnt be arsed putting a good performance in against "lesser" teams is just not acceptable, roeder has no idea of good tactics, there has never been a game where i have said "tactically, roder got that game spot on".

That probably isn't his fault. In most of the press coverage that has preceded Newcastle games, they focus has been on the injured players and when they may or may not come back.

That unsettles players, no player likes to hear that they're less important than the players not playing.

That said, the loss of Given and players of his calibre, through injury, will upset any team and the fact that a consistant team was hard to come by doesn't help either.

Hopefully Sam or whoever we have in charge next can bring back the good ol' days on tyneside.

I honestly doubt it. I think Sam is a bad choice for a club looking to challenge for the top 4. If you're looking for UEFA cup, he's fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

psi wrote:
    I honestly doubt it. I think Sam is a bad choice for a club looking to challenge for the top 4. If you're looking for UEFA cup, he's fine.

Last season's 7th place their best finish in three years (this season plus last two) would suggest that the stability of a regular top 6 finish is more important than challenging for CL qualification.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

many think he resigned before being pushed.

He was told if he didnt resign he would be sacked, i am sure they still paid off his contract and it would of been huge and too save a bit of dignity he said he resigned.

Big Sam will be annoucned as manager.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/n/newcastle_united/6632667.stm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Never saw the fuss about Roeder, thought he was quite a poor manager tbh. I dont understand why every supporter thinks they're team deserve to be challenging for the Top 6, next season there'll be a rake of teams with handsome new TV money all killing themselves for the UEFA spots. Newcastle's track record shows they only do so well before they crack internally, I heard pundits recently comment on how the pressure up there from 52k home fans gets the better of players. I'm not Big Sam's biggest fan, but if anything he'll toughen up the toon.
    Seaneh wrote:
    To be honest, you lot are either idiots or insane.
    Er, oh well if you say so....
    :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

i think people are being a little hard on Sam, he was making the best of limited resources with Bolton, and i think the signing of Anelka showed he wanted a bit more flair as opposed to industry in the team too. If he's as good as his record makes out he'll adapt and expand, and will go a little more offensive with his tactics if he can get the right players. Regardless, Sam deserves a chance to show people whether he's good or not with more resources, he's earned that right already.

I don't think he'll splash though, just buy better players of the ilk he signed at Bolton, better journeymen who can foul! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Jesus lol! Roeder was sh1t -fact.

I tried to support him but in the end I just couldn't take it anymore. Ironically most of our good results came when we had about 15 injured players and he had to field kids. And most of our good results owed much to luck, tbh. I can't think of one defeat that wasn't deserved. He's tactically inept and totally uninspiring. I doubt many of the senior players have much repsect for him. Maybe his hands were tied a bit in the transfer market but it's not like he didn't have good players at his disposal.

Also, whoever said Carr was a good player, are you joking? He used to be a good player. Since he's joined the club he's put in maybe 5 good performances. I don't think there's one Newcastle fan who rates him. The most common adjectives used on message boards to describe him would be; sh1t, lazy, incompetent, fat and useless. No coincidence we always perform better without him.

This just about sums his attitude up:
    nufc.com wrote:
    Missing from the post-match walkaround were Carr and Bramble who claimed/feigned injury and made for the dressing room.

However Emre did join the trudge, complete with foot encased in a cast.

Advertisement