Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What next for FF?

Options
  • 06-05-2007 6:47pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭

Well as of this evening it looks like there is more of a chance of FF and FG going in coalition with each other then a return of the FF/PD partnership.

So what next for FF.

Will they now entertain the notion of Sinn Fein?
    Cant see them courting indepandents as they wont have enough of them.

What about the Greens or Labour?

Greens may be the real possibility but they want to see FF out of goverenment aswell!

What do youy think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

I think Labour or the greens will make up the numbers for FF should the FG+LAB option not get enough seats. FF will offer a good deal to labour and if bertie stands down I reckon they or the greens will form a government with FF.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,830 ✭✭✭SeanW

What is most likely in my view is FF plus Labour, unless a "rainbow" of FG+Lab+Greens make the numbers and the Greens can be lured in with a mutually beneficial deal.

FF could get an overall majority with Labour from what I understand, though possibly Sinn Fein or the Greens could do it as well if they get the right combo of votes on the day. Though the Greens would have to elect a new leader (hence Tanaiste) maybe Labour would as well.

Interesting times ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

If FF doesnt get a coalition partner, and the sum of FG/Lab/Green doesn't equal or pass FF, then it is possible to see a minority FF administration and a late autumn general election. :) or :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

FF/PD - despite today's publicity stunt, PDs will do anything to keep power even if Ahern is still in charge - won't happen as neither will have numbers even with independent support

FF/FG - 1 in a million chance. Even if it did FG would demand Kenny be Taoiseach and Ahern gone. Would be disasterous for irish democracy if it did ever happen

FF/Lab - I'll say this for the 4,000th time - Labour going into bed with FF WILL be political suicide for Labour no matter if Ahern is there or not. Labour won't touch the stench of corruption surrounding FF, they would lose 50% of members instantly and their vote would be destroyed. They haven't forgot the backlash after 1992.

FF/Greens - Greens don't want to touch FF and that was before Bertiegate came into the domain. Again, they'll suffer badly for it from members and their voters who want FF out. It would be a major risk for then to touch FF - FF/Greens will need independent support

FF/SF - Both won't admit it, they would snuggle up at any opportunity. Can't see SF getting enough votes to make it happen and would need lots of indepedent support

well in other words FF are likely to out of government come May 24th

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

I think you are a bit optimistic there johnny with regards to labour and the greens not going near FF.

Labour will have more of a chance of implementing more of their labour agenda with FF rather than with FG and they (as well as the greens) will decide who to go into government with based on which government they are likely to have more influence with. I would imagine Bertie standing down would have to be a minimum requirement but I wouldn't be shocked too much if it wasn't made a condition.

It all depends on the deals on offer after the election.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

The so called Labour back lash after 1992 is a myth. They just returned to their natural percentage vote. It was the 1992 vote that was a backlash - a catch all anti establishment/anti government vote. We didnt have Greens or Sinn Féin or a tendency to vote for Independents at the time. I don't think Labour really took that as a real Labour vote - there were candidates getting elected at the time who really weren't expecting it themselves.

As regards not going into Government with Fianna Fáil - lots of Labour people would have no problem with it( and I'm including Labour TD's). I can't wait for the election to be over and we can get around to the fun.

Advertisement