Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cooking a curry - added too many chili's - help!

• 06-05-2007 6:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,441 ✭✭✭✭

I like my curry's on the hot side but it seems the chilli's I used today were hotter than i thought. First warning was my hands tingled a bit after washing them, I washed my hands after chopping and then touched my face - it still burns now even after washing it!

Needless to say the dish while smelling fantastic is probably going to be unbelievably hot.

I'm making a curry with beef cubes, does anyone have any suggestions to avert disaster, am thinking of adding a tin of kidney beans to soak up some of the heat, any use?

Help!!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

..natural yoghurt...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Longfield wrote:
    I like my curry's on the hot side but it seems the chilli's I used today were hotter than i thought. First warning was my hands tingled a bit after washing them, I washed my hands after chopping and then touched my face - it still burns now even after washing it!

Needless to say the dish while smelling fantastic is probably going to be unbelievably hot.

I'm making a curry with beef cubes, does anyone have any suggestions to avert disaster, am thinking of adding a tin of kidney beans to soak up some of the heat, any use?

Help!!

tinned chopped tomatoes, could also add a tin of tomato puree, also some water, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

Probably too late now... but lemon juice is the thing to add. Won't cool it down completely, but the acidity will help counterbalance the heat of the chillies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭rediguana

Adding sugar / honey will decrease heat.

Adding salt / garlic will increase heat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭dermo88

Add in Coconut milk to bring the heat down a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

Coconut milk or natural yogurt. What kind of chillis did you use?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭rediguana

Incidentally, during the actual EATING of said hot curry, plain rice will deaden the burning sensation more effectively than drinking water / milk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,441 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Thanks all, I just added a tin of kidney beans and it worked out delish.

Some really good suggestions though for future use as kidney beans are definately not a good bale me out for all recipies, was lucky this time.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Funny to see the separate suggestions for chopped tomatos and yoghurt, I add both to mine! I also add lemon juice and kidney beans to all of my curries...which probably explains why they never taste hot enough :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭jos28

Boards to the rescue yet again. I made a chicken curry for dinner this evening. Ate mine and it was far too hot. I knew no-one else in the house would eat it when they came home later. So I tried the natural yogurt and honey. Worked brilliantly. Delicious mild and creamy curry. Thanks !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Next time send it to me. I love hot hot hot curries, but no one else here does. Cook the chicken in PiriPiri spices, at a bit of chili powder, then into the curry sauce. Mouth blistering good!

Advertisement