Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best XBox Modchip?

Options
  • 06-05-2007 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭

I have successfully softmodded my Xbox, a v1.4, but am having no luck at all with upgrading the hard drive.

I've tried both XBOXHDM (get error 6) and Chimp (get error 14) so now it seems like I'll have to bite the bullet and just install a modchip.

My new dilemma is which chip to get, I've decided to go solderless as soldering is a skill I've never picked up and I don't intend trying now
    Xecuter 2.6 CE - €45 delivered
    Xecuter 3 CE - €60 delivered
    SmartXX v3 - €60 delivered

Any recommendations on which chip is best bearing in mind
    1) want to add a new 320GB hard drive
    2) want to install XBMC to use it as a media center
    3) would like to use various emulators
    4) XBox live is not an issue

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭mayto

did you make the iso for xboxhdm with eeprom from original box ? soft modding large hdd fort xbox is very easy, no need to waste your money on a modchip. with xboxhdm you rebuild hdd,then softmod and finally lock hdd with "lockhd -a" .

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭antomack

I used the instructions as available on xbox-scene forums for 'XBOXHDM for dummies' including backing up the eeprom from the xbox, copying over the C and E drives from xbox hdd to xboxhdm.linux folder along with eeprom.bin and ran the make-iso, etc.

The only issue I can seem to find pointed to is that I used Krayzie's NDure which apparently creates a virtual drive for C and from some forums this can cause problems as the backups you take through FTP are not correct. I cannot find any instructions on how to get around this other than to get your hands on the base MS files of a C Drive and do the XBOXHDM with these but I haven't been able to find these base files anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,255 ✭✭✭ongarite

you can get the real files off the c drive by renaming any file to shadowC_off.bin and placing it the root of the e: drive.
    You can also get to the real c through Krayzie Extras which is part of the Krayzie Ndure softmod install package. I think its called professional mode.
    If you use the Krayzie virtual C you will have to softmod your xbox again as the virtual c is the original MS dashboard.
    Did you run the lockhd -a command using boot option 3 of xboxhdm after creating and formatting the HD.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭mayto

google "How To Softmod Through Xboxhdm" and you will get link to xbox-scene thread,not "ndure softmod through xboxhdm" link .follow post #1 for original softmod to get eeprom(which you already have) and post #71 for adding bigger hdd guide. older mod than ndure but done it loads of times myself and never had a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,259 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Best modchip if you don't ever have the need to go back to a non modded system is a tsop flash on the main board. You replace the MS code in the on-board flash. all yea gotta do is use an exploit and then flash (once yea jumper the flash protection pin to ground)

• Advertisement
Advertisement