Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

poplar trees

Options
  • 06-05-2007 8:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 46

how much are poplar trees? any of the really upright species will do. any ideas? i have a lane-way and i want to plant tall architectural trees to give the area some definition.
    thanks..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,588 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Poplars are one of the trees with very invasive roots and unless you are in a rural area with nothing much beside the laneway I would think twice about planting them. They are also very tall and could be obtrusive in some settings. Some varieties can lift flagstones, damage foundations and generally be a nuisance. What kind of area is it, urban, rural, nearby buildings, what kind of length, how wide is the lane?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 byrnemx

its not a wide lane, but there is a road running perpendicular to the lane and i would like to plant a few along there too, how far back should i plant if i go with the populars? i.e so the roots will not affect the roads foundations.
    the area itself is fairly rural but not remote, the poplars would suit the area and there is no obstructions height wise, eg telephone lines etc.
    thanks..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

As Looksee points out Poplar roots can be a real problem. The safe planting distance to avoid house subsidence is 35 metres.

An additional problem with poplars is that they are fairly short-lived and fast growing. They get big quickly and then just fall over in a storm. Not good if you park your car nearby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 byrnemx

i know all about the poplars charactoristics, just wandering about the price?

Advertisement