Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thinking of getting an N95

• 06-05-2007 9:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭

I see from a few threads here that there are a couple of people with Nokia N95’s. Are they worth it? From the reviews I’ve read online they seem to have some really nice features that I can see myself using, primarily the WiFi & camera. What concerns me though is the talk I’ve seen about lag with the menu and taking pictures; is it noticeable or just a case of people talking ****e? I have an SE k750i at the moment and the lag for pictures drives me nuts to the point where I hardly ever use the camera and the slow menus really does my head in too. Would I be better off avoiding this?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭drdre

I have used the N95 , sold it and have ordered a new one :)

Have to admit its a great phone with nearly every extra. like sat nav and i think it has wifi but havnt used it yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Have you noticed any lag?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,342 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

it's a speedy device alright and menus are fine. There is a slight delay when you take a photo to save it but i'm ok with that. Wi-fi is fine but not as strong as on the laptop. The downside is the battery, use any features and you will have to recharge during the day. A car charger is a must for the gps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Not a bad phone, got one recently (currently off to be fixed-prob. with GPS crashing) the camera slows down a bit, not that noticeable & worth it for the picture quality. Tbh I think the slider is a bit loose but can be fixed easily enough.
    Do not expect too much from the GPS though, checked it against a Garmin nuvi I have in the car & its often well out-10-20 mts..might be I have a dodgy one.
    Also got a SE W880i on o2 saturday, much more impressed with it, build quality & features for a <10mm thick phone is staggering.

Basically you won't be disappointed with the N95, if you like your mobile feature rich-including a barcode reader ffs!

Thanks for the replies :). With the WiFi, how long roughly could you use it on a charge? Also, does the camera make a noise when it takes a picture? The noise from my current phone makes it sound like a cheap childs toy and I absolutly hate that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭dave oc

Well i'm posting from an n95 at de mo and the wlan is great. There's a firmware update released recently that speeds up the menu's(and the camera has gotten quicker according to sources no the net, i never used the camera before the updated firmware so i'm not sure). The camera can still be a little slow to ticke pictures but i can live with it because they look so good.

Thats good to hear :). I've seen some sample photos on the net that were taken with the N95 and they look good printed so that's a definite mark in its favour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 262 ✭✭eko

Actually, while still on the N95, can anyone tell us of the SIM free N95 on the Irish networks "run" their respective portals properly? So, on Vodafone, does Vodafone Live show correctly, or on 3 Ireland, does Planet 3 work? How about downloads (ie. Windows Live Messenger in 3)?

Cheers! :)

JohnK wrote:
    Thanks for the replies :). With the WiFi, how long roughly could you use it on a charge? Also, does the camera make a noise when it takes a picture? The noise from my current phone makes it sound like a cheap childs toy and I absolutly hate that.

You can switch off the camera noise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭dave oc

drdre wrote:
    You can switch off the camera noise

How do you do it?

• Advertisement

Dave6195 wrote:
    How do you do it?

It should be possible through the camera settings. I have done it afew times on different phones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

glynf wrote:
    including a barcode reader ffs!

Does it have a barcode reader? Sorry, if this is a stupid q, but a gimmick like that would defo make me buy the phone.

Minto wrote:
    Does it have a barcode reader? Sorry, if this is a stupid q, but a gimmick like that would defo make me buy the phone.

I dont think so

Just thought of another question actually; how easy is it to see the screen in sunlight? My SE is a bloody nightmare and I have to try tilt it in all sorts of weird angles trying to shade it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 323 ✭✭steppen

Minto wrote:

Yes it does, it reads 2D barcodes.

steppen wrote:
    Yes it does, it reads 2D barcodes.

Ah, i learnt something new today. So how does that work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 323 ✭✭steppen

Some people use it on business cards,
    the card has a 2d barcode image on it, you then point the camera from your phone at it, it zooms in decodes it and then you have all the contact details of the person...apparently it is still not perfected..nokia have an article about it here.. http://83.145.232.112/learn.htm

steppen wrote:
    Some people use it on business cards,
    the card has a 2d barcode image on it, you then point the camera from your phone at it, it zooms in decodes it and then you have all the contact details of the person...apparently it is still not perfected..nokia have an article about it here.. http://83.145.232.112/learn.htm

Excellent cant wait to try it out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Just on the topic of the N95 I was talking to someone in O2 last week and they had just got the phone in that day for testing. They said it should be on the O2 market around the middle of June.

Not sure how accuate the above is in regard to the due date, Im just relaying what I heard but I plan on holding off till then, hopefully I can get some more information closer to the date.

Just on the topic of the N95 I was talking to someone in O2 last week and they had just got the phone in that day for testing. They said it should be on the O2 market around the middle of June.

Not sure how accuate the above is in regard to the due date, Im just relaying what I heard but I plan on holding off till then, hopefully I can get some more information closer to the date.

They always have dates that are way off.I wouldnt wait if i was you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

eko wrote:
    Actually, while still on the N95, can anyone tell us of the SIM free N95 on the Irish networks "run" their respective portals properly? So, on Vodafone, does Vodafone Live show correctly, or on 3 Ireland, does Planet 3 work? How about downloads (ie. Windows Live Messenger in 3)?

Cheers! :)

No Messenger yet on 3, Planet 3 works jes' fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

drdre wrote:
    I dont think so

It does but em, not sure that it's actually for reading barcodes as we know them, Jim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 262 ✭✭eko

culabula wrote:
    No Messenger yet on 3, Planet 3 works jes' fine.

Thanks culabula, as always. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭GUIGuy

Price down to 719 sim free in 3g store in Dundrum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 559 ✭✭✭ZygOte

i believe fonesdirect are doing them for around 500ish TBC

Would they be cheaper to buy in the UK? I'll be over in London for the weekend so if I could pick one up then it'd really make the weekend for me :). I'd normally buy it online but this time I'd prefer to give it a quick once over in person before I hand over my cash. I'd be looking for the sim-free one if that makes any difference.

ZygOte wrote:
    i believe fonesdirect are doing them for around 500ish TBC

I wouldnt believe that, can you get more information.is it bill or pay as you go.I bet its the top tariff bill :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

The N95 has started the handset testing phase. I wouldnt have enough info to provide any estimate on public release dates though.

JNive wrote:
    The N95 has started the handset testing phase. I wouldnt have enough info to provide any estimate on public release dates though.

they told me it was in the testing phase over 1 month ago. they bloody take ages in ireland to test phones.we should look at uk with way more users and they get latest phones in the same week its out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 559 ✭✭✭ZygOte

drdre wrote:
    I wouldnt believe that, can you get more information.is it bill or pay as you go.I bet its the top tariff bill :)

im afraid i dont know, i asked in work about getting one as my current phone is near death. we get all our company phones from them, i was just told it was five hundred and something euro.

Advertisement