Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thinking of getting an N95

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭drdre

ZygOte wrote:
    im afraid i dont know, i asked in work about getting one as my current phone is near death. we get all our company phones from them, i was just told it was five hundred and something euro.

No im not denying it, im just saying it might be available for around 500 but must be on the highest business tariff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭dave oc

A mate of mine who works in three told me that the N95 failed three's testing. Might be a while before it comes to 3, not sure bout O2 though...

Dave6195 wrote:
    A mate of mine who works in three told me that the N95 failed three's testing. Might be a while before it comes to 3, not sure bout O2 though...

why would it fail testing here and not in uk? They should just start selling them.Its a first mover advantage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

Its More to do with being compatable with their network..(failing tests dosent mean the phone is bad or anything )Took nearly two years for the Nokia 9210i to be "O2 Approved" and then they brought out the 9500 :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

they told me it was in the testing phase over 1 month ago. they bloody take ages in ireland to test phones.we should look at uk with way more users and they get latest phones in the same week its out

There are different stages of testing involved, and up until a month ago, there was quite a backlog due to the increase in the number of phones being released this year.

Anyways, the stage of testing it is at now ( assuming no other issues ) can mean release to public anywhere in a timeframe of 2 weeks from now up to 2 months if more customisation ends up being done, plus there are the occasions where something a phone might come out on say pay monthly first followed by prepay after it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭GUIGuy

What I'd love to know is what is so different about "Irish" GSM or UMTS that requires testing other than has been done in the UK, Germany, Finland or by the phone manufacturers themselves.

I suspect that when they say "testing" they in fact mean that they wrote their own customised firmware (to block features) and they need to test that. I know people with N95s and it works just fine. I even heard that the N73 failed at one stage... and I use that every day without the slightest problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

it isnt the GSM that needs to be tested. Its the functioning of the phones software with the software/servers on O2 systems ( USSD codes like *100# etc ), the configuration & settings, branding and customisations of the phones, and interroperability with the other handset manufacturers than O2 .

Any you would be surprised at what goes wrong with some phones when communicating with other brands lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 922 ✭✭✭Mr. Skeffington

A good place to buy phones is:

http://www.mphone.co.uk/acatalog/n95_sim_free.html

Used these guys a few times before and they get my approval, N95 is €675 from them sim free. UK based

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jrey1981

I make mphone's price €690.

I'll have N95s in next week. PM me for a price. It'll be cheaper and you can collect in Dublin.

why go with other sites for expensive prices when jrey has already said his price is close to 625 and he is a reputable person.

If you are looking for a phone id rather get one form him than the uk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 922 ✭✭✭Mr. Skeffington

Didnt realise jrey was doing them, sure would go to him for one instead of the UK if I was getting one, dont have the money right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

I'd like to support Irish business but for me London would be easier than Dublin since I'm actually in London right now. I'm going to take a look at the shop prices today/tomorrow and see what they're like. If its not too far off the online or jrey price I'll probably get it here. Otherwise I might just have to be sending jrey a PM ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭yossarin

I got mine last month (on business orange in UK).

It runs well but the battery life is a nightmare !
    it lasts a day and a half with GPS/WIFI/etc turned off.

yossarin, the battery life is one of the things thats troubling me alright. Anyone I've talked to thinks I'm mad going for a phone that would be lucky to last 2 days on one charge. Cheapest shop price I've seen today is £500 (yes thats STG) with the most expensive being £550. Seems to only be CarPhone Wharehouse and Phones4U who are doing the SimFree. All the 02 & Vodafone shops I've seen will only sell one on contract. Havent seen a 3G or an Orange shop yet.

yossarin wrote:
    I got mine last month (on business orange in UK).

It runs well but the battery life is a nightmare !
    it lasts a day and a half with GPS/WIFI/etc turned off.

Just get a car or desktop charger and you will be fine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭yossarin

drdre wrote:
    Just get a car or desktop charger and you will be fine
    I appreciate the sentiment but "just keep it plugged in all the time" is not really helpful advice.

I have chargers in both my flat and office. the battery is still a problem. i often go away for two days at a time and having to remember my charger is annoying.

JohnK - if you are close to chargers at all times, then its a great phone. otherwise, i'd have a loko at the e65 - that was my second choice when i was upgrading.

yossarin wrote:
    I appreciate the sentiment but "just keep it plugged in all the time" is not really helpful advice.

I have chargers in both my flat and office. the battery is still a problem.

Yeah.I have the n95 and dont have that much of a problem yet as im studing for exams and im not using it much.I just have a charger beside me so i plug it in whenever i want to and i have a car charger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

Have a look at powermonkey.co.uk
    I'm thinking of getting one as a charge will barely last me a train ride. I have USB charger plugged into the MacBook which is a reasonable short-term solution.

culabula wrote:
    Have a look at powermonkey.co.uk
    I'm thinking of getting one as a charge will barely last me a train ride. I have USB charger plugged into the MacBook which is a reasonable short-term solution.

It sounds good but is abit expensive.Its better just getting a new battery and keep it charged.
    Heres a link to powermonkey
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/POWER-MONKEY-POWERMONKEY-CHARGER-4-IPOD-MP3-PSP-MOBILE_W0QQitemZ260117416739QQihZ016QQcategoryZ48618QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

drdre wrote:

Not really, since the power monkey will charge all my other peripherals too. That's quite cheap actually on that eBay site -it's usually around 35GBP.

• Advertisement

culabula wrote:
    Not really, since the power monkey will charge all my other peripherals too. That's quite cheap actually on that eBay site -it's usually around 3GBP.

Does it come with every adapter or do you have to buy them eg for nokia n95 for ipods and for normal nokias

drdre wrote:
    Does it come with every adapter or do you have to buy them eg for nokia n95 for ipods and for normal nokias

Sorry, meant around 35GBP. Yes, it comes with a whole range of adaptors and holds enough power for 96 hours.

culabula wrote:
    Sorry, meant around 35GBP. Yes, it comes with a whole range of adaptors and holds enough power for 96 hours.

Thats really good then and is it charged through a battery or through a 3 pin plug

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭dohouch

Just a link to Channel5 "Gadgett Show video on N95
    Gadget Show N95
    http://gadgetshow.five.tv/jsp/5gsmain.jsp?lnk=900

🧐IMHO, God wants us all to ENJOY many,many ice-creams , 🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦

dohouch wrote:
    Just a link to Channel5 "Gadgett Show video on N95
    Gadget Show N95
    http://gadgetshow.five.tv/jsp/5gsmain.jsp?lnk=900

Thats a good video but i already have a N95 :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭dohouch

Does my signature look big in this?

🧐IMHO, God wants us all to ENJOY many,many ice-creams , 🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦

Unfortunately, I think I’m now going to have to pass on this phone :(. The more I read about the battery life the more unacceptable it is which is a real shame as I’m loving the features of it.

Realistically if I’m travelling then I can see myself using the audio/video playback and WiFi a lot and since I could end up spending the best part of ½ a day if not more between trains and airports I need to know that my phone will actually work when I get to my destination as often times I wouldn’t be in a position to charge it when I arrive. Maybe if Nokia bring out a better battery I’ll take another look at this but until then it just wont do :(

Sounds like they should supply 2 batteries with it like they did with another high end model - the 8800 or 8800 Sirocco I think it was.

You could always buy a spare battery

N95s are here guys. If you're in Dublin you can pick one up today!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭rubberduckey

Hi jrey1981, what price are you selling for??

Advertisement