Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thinking of getting an N95

Comments

Hey Guys!

Anyone got any update on when O2 are releasing N95?

Dont particularly want to buy sim free !
    Cheers,

Spy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

I spoke to a guy in one of the 02 shops in cork and he knew nothing about the phone. Said it wasnt even in their system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭drdre

Hi jrey1981, what price are you selling for??
    There 650 check adverts.ie, there for sale on that site or just send him a private message

JohnK wrote:
    I spoke to a guy in one of the 02 shops in cork and he knew nothing about the phone. Said it wasnt even in their system.

You are right, I seriously dont think they will be on the networks until after the summer.Irish networks are too slow and they say its in testing.I dont think it takes that long for testing as the UK doesnt take that long to get a phone on the market.

Yea, it will be ages by the time they release it, but O2 seem to be the quicket, just dont understand why they are slower here, seen as it has been out a month or 2 in the UK!
    While I understand the fact that they have much larger customer base and different tech / specs on their network, can O2 Ireland they not just take the UK's word for it ??? :confused:

Check out the video below ! Its amazin, the user steps trough pretty much everything the phone can do, i'm very very VERY impressed!:D
    The only thing is that he is US based, anyone know if the one I'm gonna buy (from Jrey) will have the same applications etc, or will it be a different version as we are in Europe ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GmLchZN1Dc

I've researched a hell of a lot, and overall I think the only down points are:
    • Low battery life (not a problem - Car, desktop, house charger!!)
    • Can go slow when running a number of applications (to be expected)
    • The max memory card you can get is 2GB (would want 5 or 10 for music to replace iPod)
    • The GPS isnt TOTALLY accurate, like within a number of meters, but accurate enough seen as its a phone
    • The buttons are too close when using it "landscape" for those of us blessed with stubby fingers
    • The price, but i personally think the price is fine, seen as it will replace my iPod, Mobile, GPS, Digital camera, Wifi finder, (sort of) laptop and roll it all into one !

I emailed O2 to see, and even though they have an award winning customer service, I am awaiting a response.

All that said, I honestly dont think I can wait for O2 to bring it out, and at least it will be totally unbranded if I get sim-free.

Come a hell of a long way since our ordinary phone, txt, GPRS WAP camera & snake game phones!

Bravo Nokia, Bravo!

Roll on payday, Jrey get mine ready, you've just made a sale !!!

P.s, without sounding bad Jrey, has anyone else bought from Jrey? Safe / reputable enough?

Cheers !

Spyguy !

• Advertisement

• The max memory card you can get is 2GB (would want 5 or 10 for music to replace iPod)
    Just regarding this one, SanDisk are saying they have a 4GB card thats compatible: http://www.sandisk.com/Compatibility/Device(8461)-Nokia-N95.aspx

JohnK wrote:
    Just regarding this one, SanDisk are saying they have a 4GB card thats compatible: http://www.sandisk.com/Compatibility/Device(8461)-Nokia-N95.aspx

Yes you are right, you can get 4gb card but i think 2gb would be enough

Sound! Thats ok then !

Just got an email back from O2

"
    Dear Patrick,
    Thank you for your e-mail and I apologise for the delay in our response.
    The Nokia N95 should be available in July or August of this year.
    We will not be able to support it until it is available on the network.
    Should you require any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us.
    "

BOLLIX

I aint waitin that long! God dalm it!

Anyone have any ideas about what he meant by:
    ??
    Is there anything that will not work when i get it sim free next week? Or are they just saying that to try and get me to buy it on O2 when it's released?

Spy !

Sound! Thats ok then !

Just got an email back from O2

"
    Dear Patrick,
    Thank you for your e-mail and I apologise for the delay in our response.
    The Nokia N95 should be available in July or August of this year.
    Should you require any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us.
    "

BOLLIX

I aint waitin that long! God dalm it!

Anyone have any ideas about what he meant by:
    ??
    Is there anything that will not work when i get it sim free next week? Or are they just saying that to try and get me to buy it on O2 when it's released?

Spy !

The main word to highlight here is SHOULD be available.It wont be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭damo86

In fareness o2 have been pretty good at getting phones lately and have kept promises,they got the latest blackberries on time and the have the latest xda's and they got the k800i before anyone else.
    Vodafone will be launching the n95 in august 2009...pack of shysters,only now they've launched the e70 which ive being waiting for the last year...too late now vodafone,lost yourself a customer!
    ****rant over*****

Anyhow, back on topic,your better off getting simfree cos they arent going to much difference in price even with network subsidies so id go for it.ill stick to my p990i a little while longer...have the e90 im my sight because me likes me qwerty keyboards!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jrey1981

O2 got the 6300 fairly sharpish.

Two other customers from boards - can't remember their usernames - have bought from me and one more will have one on the way to him tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

jrey1981 wrote:
    and one more will have one on the way to him tomorrow.

that's me :D

i'll be busy tomorrow waiting at the letterbox all day :p

smemon wrote:
    that's me :D

i'll be busy tomorrow waiting at the letterbox all day :p

Hope the irish post doesnt cock up as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭mackerski

jrey1981 wrote:
    O2 got the 6300 fairly sharpish.

Two other customers from boards - can't remember their usernames - have bought from me and one more will have one on the way to him tomorrow.

I'm one of the happy (with jrey) customers. He really exists, really does have the phones, mine arrived in good shape etc.

On the phone, I still really like it, but my battery experience is mixed. Keep in mind, the battery conditioning logic is probably taking a while to get clued in, so I may not have been getting full capacity early on, also, I started by taking no measures to preserve battery life.

FWIW to anybody, here's a good way to flatten a not-yet-run-in battery in half a day:
    • Switch on Bluetooth
    • Connect to your desktop via bluetooth
    • Leave connected to desktop PC. What harm?
    • Switch on Wifi and connect to an AP
    • Try to register to a SIP provider (can't say whether this was relevant for me, as AP security wasn't working, so no registration possible)
    • Play with phone in various, though not heavy-duty, ways. Some browsing, a bit of address-book syncing.

Since then, I've got in the habit of essentially doing the reverse of the above (bring up bluetooth and Wifi only as needed, though I do use them a bit). I've had 24 hours of life out of the thing, though I don't know if that will be consistent. Once I think I have anything useful to report I'll do so.

Edit: The first thing I did, once the thing was first fully charged, was a firmware update. I can't say how improved the new version is, never having tried the factory version, but it's a major number and-then-some increment, so you'd probably be well-advised.

Can you get a standalone charger for the n95 battery? I might reconsider getting this if I could just pick up a second battery for those times when I’m travelling but if I have to charge it in the phone then its really no good to me.

JohnK wrote:
    Can you get a standalone charger for the n95 battery? I might reconsider getting this if I could just pick up a second battery for those times when I’m travelling but if I have to charge it in the phone then its really no good to me.

Do you mean desktop charger.You can also get other portable nokia chargers that you can have in your pocket just in case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

JohnK wrote:

Yes, I have seen them on eBay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

damo86 wrote:
    they got the k800i before anyone else.

Three got the k800i a good bit before anyone else.

Well that wouldn’t be so bad so with one of those desktop chargers as I could have a few batteries charged and ready to go. Not ideal obviously but might just have swung things back in favour of me buying this phone. Hmm, I shall have to ponder this for a while...

JohnK wrote:
    Well that wouldn’t be so bad so with one of those desktop chargers as I could have a few batteries charged and ready to go. Not ideal obviously but might just have swung things back in favour of me buying this phone. Hmm, I shall have to ponder this for a while...

Just get the n95, you know you want one :D

just buy this it comes with 2 batteries and a desktop charger
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2x-Battery-BL-5F-for-N95-N93i-E65-Desktop-Charger_W0QQitemZ120122423434QQihZ002QQcategoryZ20365QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

• Advertisement

Well, I've ordered the phone from jrey, a memory card from shop4memory and a dual desktop charger & spare battery from ebay. That should keep me busy for a while :p

thanks everyone :D

JohnK wrote:
    Well, I've ordered the phone from jrey, a memory card from shop4memory and a dual desktop charger & spare battery from ebay. That should keep me busy for a while :p

Great news.What size memory card are you getting.

I got the 2GB SanDisk. Hope that'll do me as I didnt see the 4GB ones and I like to carry a lot of crap with me :p

JohnK wrote:
    I got the 2GB SanDisk. Hope that'll do me as I didnt see the 4GB ones and I like to carry a lot of crap with me :p

Ah its fine.I think 2gb is perfect and when you get fed up just get the 4gb by then there might even be a 8gb :D

Now 8GB would be cool :D

JohnK wrote:
    Now 8GB would be cool :D
    There is a normal 8GB sd card so the micro should be out soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭foobar

JohnK wrote:

How does that battery compare to the one that ships with the n95 ?

They say its the same but given the price of it I would seriously doubt that its an actual nokia battery. I'm getting it just so I have a spare that I can pop in when the main one runs out.

JohnK wrote:
    They say its the same but given the price of it I would seriously doubt that its an actual nokia battery. I'm getting it just so I have a spare that I can pop in when the main one runs out.

The hong kong ones wont be genuine they are fakes but will do the job perfectly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,342 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I'd be wary of HK batteries. I got one that seemed to work ok but when the phone rang it shut down. I'd be wary about putting such a battery into a €700 phone!

Advertisement