Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thinking of getting an N95

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

i've just bought a sim-free N95 online. i've got a 3pay sim card.

i'm assuming everything will work fine and go smooth? is there anything i need to do once i get it, or any advice to get full functionality.

my home has wireless broadband so i'm hoping to be able to use the full internet browser and then 3's services that i have at the moment on my k800i??

i'm pretty sure i can get around the battery problems wit home/office/car charging??
    you'll have to put 3's web settings into the phone

web settings
    connection name:3
    data bearer: packet data
    access point name:3ireland.ie
    user name:none
    prompt password:no
    password:default/blank
    authentication:normal
    homepage:http://mobile.3ireland.ie/hb/HutchKey

advanced settings:
    network type:ipv4
    phoner ip address automatic
    name servers: automatic
    proxy server address:none
    proxy port number:0

mms settings:
    connection name:3 MMS
    homepage:http://mms.um.3ireland.ie:10021/mmsc

advanced settings:
    proxy server address:mms.3ireland.ie
    proxy port number:8799

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

web settings
    connection name:3
    homepage:http://mobile.3ireland.ie/hb/HutchKey

advanced settings:
    proxy server address:none
    proxy port number:0

mms settings:
    connection name:3 MMS
    homepage:http://mms.um.3ireland.ie:10021/mmsc

advanced settings:
    proxy server address:mms.3ireland.ie
    proxy port number:8799

these the same for 3monthly??

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭massivemagumbos

wow, thanks a million vimes, cant wait to get the phone. hope its all its cracked upto be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,921 ✭✭✭Soarer

So would I be able to go out, buy a 3pay phone/sim, drop it into my N95, enter the settings, and have full 3 functionality?

Also, could I download 3's settings from the Nokia site?

P.S. @Massive. I've the N95, and I love it! Takes a bit of getting used to, and tbh, I probably haven't even used half the stuff in it. But what I have used, I've found excellent.

*edit* Just checked nokia.ie there, and they don't have the 3 settings!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

Soarer wrote:
    So would I be able to go out, buy a 3pay phone/sim, drop it into my N95, enter the settings, and have full 3 functionality?

P.S. @Massive. I've the N95, and I love it! Takes a bit of getting used to, and tbh, I probably haven't even used half the stuff in it. But what I have used, I've found excellent.

*edit* Just checked nokia.ie there, and they don't have the 3 settings!

You will have to buy a phone to get the SIM; note that 3PAY flabour of BB will not allow you to use the phone as a modem.

You shouldn't need to download the 3 settings, they should be held on the SIM. Mine are, When I SIM-swap 3IRL-O2UK-3UK they just change accordingly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

davton wrote:
    these the same for 3monthly??
    yup
    Soarer wrote:

the nokia site doesn't have the settings for the n95 for 3 but those are the settings on my n70 so there shouldn't be a problem. i can't guaratnee that it'll work fully with planet 3 because i've never used a non-3 branded phone for it but the net will work.
    culabula wrote:
    You shouldn't need to download the 3 settings, they should be held on the SIM. Mine are, When I SIM-swap 3IRL-O2UK-3UK they just change accordingly.
    hmm, i don't think my phone did that but i never checked tbh

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Have my N95 5 days now and thinking of getting rid allready . Constantly drops wireless , hangs , pissing me off big time .

Think i'll get a htc touch instead .

sharkman wrote:
    Have my N95 5 days now and thinking of getting rid allready . Constantly drops wireless , hangs , pissing me off big time .

Think i'll get a htc touch instead .

Did you update the firmware?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

culabula wrote:
    Did you update the firmware?

Sure did !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭tabatha

have noticed mine drops the wifi all the time also and i only have it 3 days! have also updated the software.

• Advertisement

has anybody bought the voice-recognition and tried using it hooked upto a modern car? 3.5mm jack if u get me?

i've had a k800 for a year now and while my friend's phone broke and whatnot, my gentle touch has kept it in good nick! i hope the same for the N95! haha fingers crossed.

are there any features that dont work in ireland? how's the mapping? is there anyway of upgrading the maps to navtec etc??

Have mine 2 months now!

Never had any problems at all with dropping connections!

Havnt bough the voice-regognition yet or anything, no need, just download some other applications off the web, theres LOADS out there to make the phone even more amazing!

I've sold my Ipod & Digital Camera on the web, no need for them anymore and going to order the 4gb mini card on payday! So, same space as my ipod!

As for the laptop, if I didnt need it for work, i'd sell it too, full internet on the N95!

Guys, its seriously the best thing since dough, let alone sliced bread!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Can't remember where i got this link, but thought i'd throw it up anyway.

http://3lib.ukonline.co.uk/tipsn95.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭rubberduckey

Hi spyguy, where are you getting the 4gb card from??

just search for it, i think sandisk are doing it. so mymemory.co.uk is a good way to go

i'm going for a 2gb card cuz nokia developed the n95 with 2gb in mind, 4gb might not work properly and i think its excessive. the more space, the more junk. 2 is massive anyway. 4 is new so it'll cost a bomb!

oh wud the postman ever hurry up!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jrey1981

was at the Google press day in Paris today and as soon as I got there, a guy had his N95 out taking photos! Wish I had brought one with me!

jrey1981 wrote:
    was at the Google press day in Paris today and as soon as I got there, a guy had his N95 out taking photos! Wish I had brought one with me!

Ta gueule!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Decided to take the plunge myself and am very impressed with the phone. Found another link of useful tips including one which is meant to solve the WIFI dropping.

http://n95blog.com/nokia-n95-thursday-thundering-links-tips/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭tabatha

delly wrote:
    Decided to take the plunge myself and am very impressed with the phone. Found another link of useful tips including one which is meant to solve the WIFI dropping.

http://n95blog.com/nokia-n95-thursday-thundering-links-tips/

great site, fair play and thanks!:)

having some problem with the GPS, the phone was originally turned on in doncaster and it picked up the satelittes etc, now i'm in dublin and it thinks i'm still in doncaster, how do i reset the GPS home page if u get me? do i have to stand outside for 20 minutes and wait for satelittes to catch me?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Basicly, yes. It'll start off where ever it was last until it picks up a signal then it should jump to your current location.

so how long is too long wandering around the roads to pick up a signal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Just got mine today! To say I'm over the moon is an understatement! Ah I love birthdays! Yey me!

To answer the last question I read: mine took about 3 Min's to pick up the satelittes wile sitting in my car and pin point where I was.

ok i'll go sit and wait so! i love it too! got mine today! i hope they dont become too common, has any gotten the voice navigation??

edit: got the gps working, took a few minutes but its now finding it alot faster, its not giving me a route planner unless i buy the voice navigation though??

Posting this on my n95, man, this phone just kicks ass more and more as i use it.

Got my 2gb card today as well and uploaded a few tv episodes, very watchable and very handy.

:(

when i drive up the north, the phone takes ages to pick up satelitte and didnt have the maps for outside dublin at all???!

:mad:

when i try to access maps now on my N95 it loads for 30-50% then goes back to the main screen again...

:confused: i'm so lost!!

wi-fi is great, phone is great, camera is great - gps isnt going smooth for me!!

:(

when i drive up the north, the phone takes ages to pick up satelitte and didnt have the maps for outside dublin at all???!

:mad:

when i try to access maps now on my N95 it loads for 30-50% then goes back to the main screen again...

:confused: i'm so lost!!

wi-fi is great, phone is great, camera is great - gps isnt going smooth for me!!

GPS can be a bit slow to lock on: it has to be done outside and it has to be done in full view of the sky. You must make sure you are not obscuring the little eye at the bottom of the phone -it is so easy to do while trying to navigate the app. Leave it facing the cosmos first and once it is locked on, then do all the planning.

When I used it once in the north it was amazingly accurate.

ok i'll go sit and wait so! i love it too! got mine today! i hope they dont become too common, has any gotten the voice navigation??

edit: got the gps working, took a few minutes but its now finding it alot faster, its not giving me a route planner unless i buy the voice navigation though??

I have used voice nav; y'see part of my deal was 3 years unfettered access to the service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Anyone having problems with it crashing? After the nokia center fried mine they gave me a new one but its crashed about 5 or 6 times in the week or so that I've had it :(

• Advertisement

any idea why the GPS isnt working at all now? before yesterday when i opened up "maps" i got an globe and it just zoomed into my last known whereabouts, now it just loads to 30-50% and then resets back to the main screen (with the time/date, shortcuts, wlan scanning thing)

Advertisement