Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thinking of getting an N95

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭massivemagumbos

culabula wrote:
    When I used it once in the north it was amazingly accurate.

how do i get the maps for the north?? even when i tried to get a route planned to galway it said "no maps" even though when i got the phone on monday it said "maps are up to date"?

edit: kinda stupid question considering the program won't even load now. I think i'm gunna have to connect it to my laptop and give it a clean up that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,342 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

how do i get the maps for the north?? even when i tried to get a route planned to galway it said "no maps" even though when i got the phone on monday it said "maps are up to date"?

edit: kinda stupid question considering the program won't even load now. I think i'm gunna have to connect it to my laptop and give it a clean up that way.

You really need to use the maploader application to download the maps. Before I did that, mine too did not plan routes down the country very well.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

And just a further note for ppl who can't get sat lock, the keypad has to be slid open to pick up a signal properly fyi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

What are your thoughts on the Wfi. Is browsing the Web better than the PSP? Is GPS built in or do you have to buy a receiver?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

One of the phone's major selling points is that it sports built-in GPS,

The browsing is much better than on the PSP: the PSP's onboard keyboard is a major pain for inputting addresses and the dedicated keyboard for it was nixed by Sony, although you can sync bookmarks with your Mac.

The N95 on the other hand has a cut-down version of Safari with mini-map, a keypad plus the ability to us a wireless keyboard such as Apple's BT one. In addition you can put Opera mini on it.

• Advertisement

haha, ok so last night i updated the firmware to v11 and the GPS worked and picked me up quicker than usual in the back garden. Then... hey presto, i'm walking to work this morning and I take out the GPS and the same problem with it loading to 30-50% then nothing nadda. back to standby. I really think its something to do wit not having a memory card in the phone. Once i get the maps on with maploader i'm hoping it'll all work just fine!

Would the GPS on the phone replace a proper GPS system or is just a nice extra on the phone? Can you use other maps apart from Smart2go?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭mackerski

Dman001 wrote:
    Would the GPS on the phone replace a proper GPS system or is just a nice extra on the phone? Can you use other maps apart from Smart2go?

Depends on you intended use. I can't see it for vehicle navigation (based on battery life) unless you add a separate bluetooth GPS receiver, but that doesn't seem to be the spirit of your question...

I believe that some of the vendors of PDA nav software (either Tom Tom or Navigon, I think, possibly others) are either already offering or planning to offer their software and maps to run on the N95, so that would give you turn-by-turn routing without paying the sub or using the network.

For ad-hoc where-am-I stuff, especially on foot, it might do what you want. I've found it fairly useful for casual stuff.

Depends on you intended use. I can't see it for vehicle navigation (based on battery life) unless you add a separate bluetooth GPS receiver
    But I thought it had a GPS receiver built into the phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭mackerski

Dman001 wrote:
    But I thought it had a GPS receiver built into the phone?

It does. But if you want to use it for vehicle navigation you'd have to keep the phone powered up (as the GPS receiver is a battery drain) and you'd have to position it inconveniently to assure good reception. Or buy a convertible.

• Advertisement

has anybody bought the navigational upgrade yet? 70euro for 3 years, to be honest i cant see myself keeping the phone for 3 years, 1year wud be a stretch but i guess if i want to sell the phone on, it cud be worth a good bit to the prospective buyer...

whats the main features of the upgrade? i've found GPS performance without the upgrade to be very tricky and generally difficult to work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Went in and got the N95 today in Grafton Street, while I was in getting sorted out this old lady comes up to the counter saying that she was having trouble setting up her phone and she whips an N95 out of her bag!!!

I must say I was a little shocked, she is easily the trendest old lady Ive ever meet, more power to her!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

I must be bloody cursed! :mad: After I finally got a replacement phone back about 2 weeks ago its crashed more times than I can count and about 50% of all calls on it people just cant hear me unless I turn on the loudspeaker :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

Went in and got the N95 today in Grafton Street, while I was in getting sorted out this old lady comes up to the counter saying that she was having trouble setting up her phone and she whips an N95 out of her bag!!!

I must say I was a little shocked, she is easily the trendest old lady Ive ever meet, more power to her!

:D brilliant, i love it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

In response to those asking about using the N95 for vehicle navigation, it is just as good as a gps if your not to fussy about the smaller screen.

Battery Life - In Car charger, so not an issue.

CoPilot Live 6 is now avail for the N95

I can keep a lock with the phone on my lap or the passenger seat so if it is mounted in any In Car holder it will keep a lock, also only needs keypad open to get initial lock not keep a lock.

No reason you can't use it as a viable GPS. Nokia Maps route selection is a bit ropey, but I suppose if you really dont know where you are going you won't notice the route is dodgy :D

CoPilot Live 6 is a top notch GPS Solution and eliminates the quirks of Nokia Maps

Inqui

Just got the new Windows Live for Nokia N95 (and S60). At last!

Inquitus wrote:
    CoPilot Live 6 is now avail for the N95
    CoPilot Live 6 is a top notch GPS Solution and eliminates the quirks of Nokia Maps

How do I go about getting CoPilot Live 6??
    culabula wrote:
    Just got the new Windows Live for Nokia N95 (and S60). At last!

How do I go about getting Windows Live??

sorry but i'm really new to this whole smartphone world!

PS: My GPS is working fine now!! just pondering over whether to buy the upgrade or a different programme altogether!

How do I go about getting CoPilot Live 6??

How do I go about getting Windows Live??

sorry but i'm really new to this whole smartphone world!

PS: My GPS is working fine now!! just pondering over whether to buy the upgrade or a different programme altogether!

I can email the new Windows Live to anyone who wants it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,342 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Strangely enough I find my N95 battery lasting much longer now. In the car I use a charger to power the navigation. I use the free Amaze GPS as it has better mapping than the nokia maps, though the voice nav doesn't work.

I bought a non-nokia branded N95 desktop charger and it has screwed up the power port on my N95. It wont securely take any genuine nokia power connection now (mains plug/ car charger) keeps falling out. Anybody have any ideas where i can get it fixed back to the original? and i'll glady throw out the non-nokia unit...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Umm have you looked here?

http://apps.nokia.ie/servicepoints/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭amby666

I bought a non-nokia branded N95 desktop charger and it has screwed up the power port on my N95. It wont securely take any genuine nokia power connection now (mains plug/ car charger) keeps falling out. Anybody have any ideas where i can get it fixed back to the original? and i'll glady throw out the non-nokia unit...

I was about to get a desktop charger. Anybody else used one they would recommend? Doesn't appear to a Nokia one available.

DONT buy one, in my opinion, buy only nokia, seriously, the N95 is too serious a piece of kit to be sticking sh*te into it. i'm regretting it majorly now but got scared by the battery warnings. In all honesty, the battery is pretty impressive for what the phone gets done while powered!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

DONT buy one, in my opinion, buy only nokia, seriously, the N95 is too serious a piece of kit to be sticking sh*te into it.
    QFT. to be honest you shouldn't spend €600 on a phone and then skimp on the accessories.

does anyone know what the story is with getting plotting/voice navigation working on it?

as i understand it, you can get the maps for free but to plot routes and get voice prompts telling you where to go you need to get a subscription. is that right?

i saw a vodafone bill pay one today and it wouldn't work. you could go to the option to get navigation for uk/ireland but to purchase it the phone would try to send a premium rate sms that would fail every time. he said it gave other options the first time but now it goes straight to trying to send the sms and doesn't give the other options

i rang nokia but the guy suggested i flash it because he had no idea. i read something on the nokia site about some networks not supporting the automatic premium rate sms thing. does anyone know how to get around this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭amby666

does anyone know what the story is with getting plotting/voice navigation working on it?

as i understand it, you can get the maps for free but to plot routes and get voice prompts telling you where to go you need to get a subscription. is that right?

Haven't tried it yet, this this looks like it does the job.

http://www.amazegps.com/

Yea the nokia maps is a proper application. Nokia bought out a navigation company a year or two ago so that they'd have a proper navigation application.

if you open up maps for the first time, you'll get a gps lock and you'll get very limited maps around the area you are in. Then u get download nokia maploader onto ur pc and transfer the maps from this onto ur phone via the usb or bluetooth connection.

I'm finding the navigation very easy come easy go but i'd imagine the extra subscription wud fix alot of stuff. If you open up maps > extra services > navigation - then it'll ask you what region you are in and how much of a subscription you want:
    6.49 for 7 days (93c a day)
    7.99 for 30 days (27c a day)
    59.99 for 1 year (16c a day)
    69.99 for 3 years (6c a day)
    I guess the one to go for is the longest term and i'm sure nokia will be updating the software etc throughout this term.

Let me know what experiences ppl have with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Does anyone know any useful N95 tech forums.

Ive gone to various sites but none of them are specific to the N95 and the solutions they provided didnt work on my phone.

Ive also gone through all the N95 threads on this forum that provide some n95 tips and settings but again while useful they didnt resolve my issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Yea the nokia maps is a proper application. Nokia bought out a navigation company a year or two ago so that they'd have a proper navigation application.

if you open up maps for the first time, you'll get a gps lock and you'll get very limited maps around the area you are in. Then u get download nokia maploader onto ur pc and transfer the maps from this onto ur phone via the usb or bluetooth connection.

I'm finding the navigation very easy come easy go but i'd imagine the extra subscription wud fix alot of stuff. If you open up maps > extra services > navigation - then it'll ask you what region you are in and how much of a subscription you want:
    6.49 for 7 days (93c a day)
    7.99 for 30 days (27c a day)
    59.99 for 1 year (16c a day)
    69.99 for 3 years (6c a day)
    I guess the one to go for is the longest term and i'm sure nokia will be updating the software etc throughout this term.

Let me know what experiences ppl have with it.
    that's where the problem was on the phone i saw. it would get that far and then say "premium rate sms sending failed"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,854 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

um just bought an n95 - can someone tell me how to tell if its a hsdpa signal or a 3g one or is it just the same 3g icon? thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,854 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

um just bought an n95 - can someone tell me how to tell if its a hsdpa signal or a 3g one or is it just the same 3g icon? thanks

Advertisement