Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Split Necks

Options
  • 06-05-2007 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭

rem.jpg

Used remington ammo on my 17 today and out of 50 Rounds I got
    at least 12 Split necks one are two even made it down to the shoulder of
    the brass.

I read about split necks before and poeple have blamed the rifle the chamber
    dimensions, the bolt face and other reasons.

So far all of the Hornady rounds I have fired through my rifle (nearly 400)
    I have only got one split neck. So I am guessing its nothing
    to do with my rifle and all about the ammo.

As soon as I put the remington ammo in splits straight away.
    This kinda sucks as I dunno if caused some inaccruacy as my
    shooting was all over the place today (3inch groupings at 100m)

I know CCI are supposed to make all brands which is weird.
    (or CCI load the rounds and Hornady supply the bullet)

Some replies I see from ammo companys are not very comforting........
    An explanation from an ammo companys suggest that they need to neck down to .17
    as they are formed with a straight wall and then they prime them with the primer compound in the rim. Then they reduce the neck of the case to the 17 caliber. This makes the neck stress a little and causes the case neck to split when fired. Because the neck can not be annealed because the priming compound would be set off. Velocities did not change nor did the accuracy change. The chamber pressure on this round is low so there would be no damage to the chamber.
    Some lots will have more rounds that will crack and some will not have any crack. We also see that the chambers do vary and a few are at the maximum or a little over.

~B

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

I have the same problem with the HMR - and it seems to be commonly experienced - most of the rimfire sites seem to say its a manufacturing problem and it should not affect accuracy- ( I doubt this myself)

Advertisement