Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Next Comic Jam?

Options
  • 06-05-2007 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭

Hiddy hi all,

Couple of questions for the next comic jam:

Dates - hows everyone calender look? May seems pretty full for everyone so maybe June? - [I'm gone for the end of june]

Place - Cork or Dublin? I'm easy with either but hows everyone else feel?

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

End of June, and I reckon cork. Tho of course this means the jackeens will piss and moan about having to venture outside their smog-ridden coccoon of a city :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Fysh wrote:
    End of June, and I reckon cork. Tho of course this means the jackeens will piss and moan about having to venture outside their smog-ridden coccoon of a city :P

only major issue with cork is crash space for people, thou we could pull a declan and just hang out in the one place till daylight then go our seperate ways :P

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Well, between myself and Jack B. Badd we may be able to offer some amount of crashspace (tho I can't commit her to providing space) but yes, I endorse the notion of just keeping going all night and then collapsing the day after. I'm happy to offer space for carrying on all night including gaming utensils and cartoons...

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭the Shades

But the not sleeping kills me! I'm getting too old for all nighters...

By the way, are you sure Cork exists and isn't jsut some fantasy land? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

Of course I can provide crash space :) I've half a double bed up for grabs (as I assume does Fysh) and I could fit a few people on floors / couches if needs be. Might be a bring-your-own-sleeping-bag affair for some peeps though.
    the Shades wrote:
    By the way, are you sure Cork exists and isn't jsut some fantasy land?

Shurrup, you :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Jonesy3110

Hey I wanna ask a noob question, - whats a comic jam?

Jonesy3110 wrote:
    Hey I wanna ask a noob question, - whats a comic jam?

cus im to lazy to type out the whole answer here sa link to the house of 12 FAQ We had our first jam last september to get ready for 24 hour comics day then had an improv one after the dublin comic con in november and we've been sort of aiming to have them ever 2 months or so plus 24 hour comics day again in october.

basicly we draw weird comics about any topic cept for Fsyh who always ends up drawing penis by the end of the night :P

Basically it's an excuse for a party where we pretend that we're not just gonna talk rubbish and drink our beverages of choice and instead claim that we'll draw comics and stuff. (well, ok, other people sometimes actually draw comic; personally, I usually resort to drawing flying willies on every page I'm allowed near....)

Edited to add:

Damn, ztoical beat me to it. Though I have to say, by the end of the night? Hell, I'll have to start off by drawing cocks next time then, and see where we progress from there...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

ztoical wrote:
    basicly we draw weird comics about any topic cept for Fsyh who always ends up drawing penis by the end of the night :P

/me holds me head :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Jonesy3110

Hey thanks for the reply, penises yeah emm sounds fun ..... *backs away*

• Advertisement

Well, in my defence at least 2 of the offending pages/panels involving wang were overt references - one being a reference to a scene in Garth Ennis's "Dicks" involving questionable sausages, and the other being a reference to this. Another one of them was related to this.

But yes, it's all an elaborate front for me to hide my fascination with cock. emot-awesome.gif

Fysh wrote:
    it's all an elaborate front for me to hide my fascination with cock. emot-awesome.gif

man i was expecting some comment about stapple gunning hamsters to walls but you just went and dug yourself in deeper :P

As if it's possible for me to dig any deeper at this stage. Between the constant cock/crotch jokes and my exuberant taste in shirts, I'm evidently so far in the closet I'm in Narnia. But there you go. I got a chance to use the Something Awful "Awesome" smilie though, so all is good....

Actually at the end of the last jam I ended up with a rather attractive and penis free comic-esque book mark which includes the magnificent quote;

"This wouldn't have happened on Ugly Betty"

I believe that was chiefly due to me only being allowed to draw a stickman on that particular item (I may have been busy at the time with the half-a-page-of-A3-spread involving nothing but flying penii)...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

cork means i can afford to get a taxi home to my bed and i wont be driving around shattered the day after threatening the horseboxes on the n8

ok so cork it is then but what date?

Hasn't anyone made a decision about this yet? And weren't we supposed to have one in Dublin shortly after the bbq to make up for not actually having one when new people came all the way to Kilkenny?

Or have you all ben distracted by the eh... 'glamour' of Cork!

the Shades wrote:
    Hasn't anyone made a decision about this yet?

well call out a date. I asked for people to say what dates did or didnt suit them and no said anything so how could a decision have been made.

I'm gone to new york for the second half of june [14th - 30th........MoCCA happy dance :D ] so those are no dates for me, anything else should be good.

Ok 24 hour comics day [THCD] is towards the end of october so how about we aim to have a decent comic jam in august? Thats half way between now and THCD.

I'd rather set a date ages away and give people loads of notice then put a half ass jam together in the next couple of weeks.

There is a comics event happening in september being put together by Rob at sub city and another one by John from 3rd place in November and THCD is october that way we'd get a nice run of comic type things each month from august to november and then maybe aim for an xmas comic session depending on numbers.

So opinions? What are peoples plans for august? Whose going away who will be around. I'd like to avoid the bank hoilday weekend as people tend to have plans for that.

• Advertisement

Eh... I've no plans yet, was thinking about holidays in September so August is probably ok for me. I'm sure I'll skip whatever Rob is organising as usual so yeah might be an idea. God when you put it like that I realise how little I've done comic-wise this year. Probably won't get anything out by the end of the year :(

Advertisement