Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rifle Import Question

Options
  • 06-05-2007 9:37pm

Quick question:

If a person from Britain wanted to take part in a shoot here what would they need re paperwork?

Would a FAC / Europass suffice?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

They need to have an Irish Firearms cert. Not sure how they go about getting it, but them's the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

really? how come a europass isn't sufficient?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Because of poor firearms legislation in Ireland PL. We've mentioned several times to the DoJ that we'd like a free temporary firearms pass for target shooters (the NARGC doesn't agree with the idea of such a pass for hunters for various good reasons) who want to come in to shoot a competition for a weekend and then go home (eg. NI shooters coming down for the nationals) but it's never made it to legislation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Gerri

really? how come a europass isn't sufficient?
    Because not all European countries will accept it on it's own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Gerri

Quick question:

If a person from Britain wanted to take part in a shoot here what would they need re paperwork?

Would a FAC / Europass suffice?
    The procedure is to apply for an Irish Firearms license, same as for Irish citizens, applicant will need to send a copy of their UK FAC and original European Pass to the Garda station in the district where they will be shooting and pay €38 , license issued will be for 1 year or until 31st July, same as for Irish shooters. Goes without saying that a valid reason is required ,e.g. competition, deer stalking, clay shooting etc. Once issued the Irish license allows the shooter to use the firearm wherever they have permission to shoot, unlesss stated otherwise on their license. There may be other requirements so the BEST place for information would be the Garda station in the district where the person will be staying.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

Sounds like a hell of a lot of rigaramole just to shoot over here for the weekend. This kind of bureaucracy does the sport no favors. I believe it's not half as complicated for an Irish shooter to go to england and shoot for the weekend?

Nope - you just get in touch with the local police and they send you the required permit / form.

I've found it straight forward enough..

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭boc121

how do you get a euro pass
    and do you need one for N.I.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

Go to this link ....all is explained and forms are available to download.

http://www.psni.police.uk/index/advice_centre/firearms/pg_firearms_visiting.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭boc121

cheers jaycee.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 2reliance

Hi All,
    Just new to the forum, must say very informative. Just a quick question...Ive just caught the clay shooting bug and was checking out the prices of shotguns to be presice. I was given a few prices via local gunsmiths and they all came in around the same but I checked out some uk gunsmith prices on line and there was a considerable difference of a saving. Could anyone tell me
    A/ can you import a shotgun into this country from uk.
    B/ do you need a special licence to import it.
    C/ is there 17.5% or 21% to be paid on the gun as soon as you take it in or do you pay the difference between vats considering you would be paying vat upon purchase over there.
    D/ is there to much jargon and a mountain of wrigmarole' to go through.
    I was looking at a Beretta 686E and was quoted from 2.2K here and 1.5K over in the uk.I just dont want to be made a gilly out of..Cheers if anyone can help..

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭freddieot

I've imported 2 pistols so far, one from NI and one from Germany. In both cases I needed an Article 7 form which you can get from the Local Garda Station. This was enough for the foreign dealer (they have to get an export permit). what you need to do is:-

1. Confirm with the dealer in the UK that an Article 7 form will be sufficient for their needs. (some can be awkward)
    2. Get the serial number, invoice etc. and apply for a Cert. Tell the cops that you will also need an Article 7 form.
    3. They should issue the Cert and the Article 7 at the same time.
    4.Send the Article 7 to the dealer in the UK.
    5. Ideally he can arrange for DHL or someone like that to deliver the shotgun to you.
    6. It is unlikely that you would be required to talk to Customs but if it does happen then all you need to do is show your firearms Certificate.

SIMPLE REALLY -As I said, I'v done it twice already and would not hesitate to do it again.

As GB is part of the EU, the dealer will charge you VAT when he sells you the gun. You don't have to pay any more taxes over her.

Good Luck

freddieot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭FLAG

Article 7 is not required to import a shotgun, if you look at the classification of firearms as per the EU Weapons directive I believe a shotgun is category D and as such all you need is you Irish firearms certificate, if you are exporting from the UK they will likley require you to have an Irish Import permit however by law this is not required, they will issue an article 11 and ship the gun to you on completion of UK paperwork.

Other option is to get a UK temp firearms permit, get you Irish License and go over and get it, your Irish Firearms permit doubles as an import document when you get here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 2reliance

Thanks Guys, possibly saved me a packet going forward. I will keep ye updated if I do purchase.Hope it goes as smooth as it sounds.
    2R.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭mallards

Sparks wrote:
    Because of poor firearms legislation in Ireland PL. We've mentioned several times to the DoJ that we'd like a free temporary firearms pass for target shooters (the NARGC doesn't agree with the idea of such a pass for hunters for various good reasons) who want to come in to shoot a competition for a weekend and then go home (eg. NI shooters coming down for the nationals) but it's never made it to legislation.

As a matter of interest What are the good reasons Sparks?
    I work in Dublin but travel home to the north at weekends I would love to shoot my own guns at courtlough or go for a hunt with friends I have in Dublin. It's a pain in the butt that I need a FAC and europass!

Mallards.

Advertisement