Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fridge does not appear to be cooling enough

Options
  • 06-05-2007 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭

My Fridge freeer, built in, 9 years old. Does not appear to be cooling as well as it used to. THe compressor is running. Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭suitseir

Maybe get a free standing thermostat and put it on one of the shelves and check to see what temp it is at. If it is not cold enough, would not be good for your food! Mind you, if it is nine years old, it could just be on its way out. Mine is 8 years old and I am replacing it this year because I feel it is not as efficient as it should be. Maybe time to replace it!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,588 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Presumably you have checked the very obvious things, like the temperature setting inside the fridge - the warm weather recently may mean that you need to sett it a bit cooler (usually a higher number?). Or it is not frosted up which would reduce efficiency. Otherwise as the previous poster said, its just giving up, the days of the 25 year old fridge are long gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Have you checked the cooling fins at the back of the appliance?
    These need to be clean and dust-free, and after nine years......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

No, will remove the fridge, it is built in and check that. The freezer part seems to be OK, The compressor is running continuously, the problem possibly is related to the control of the fridge temperature.

got a free standing thermostat and the fridge is 12C and the freezer is -30C the room is about 17C, there is some frost on the rear of the inside of the fridge.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

dingding wrote:
    No, will remove the fridge, it is built in and check that. The freezer part seems to be OK, The compressor is running continuously, the problem possibly is related to the control of the fridge temperature.

got a free standing thermostat and the fridge is 12C and the freezer is -30C the room is about 17C, there is some frost on the rear of the inside of the fridge.

If the compressor is running continuously then something is wrong. AFAIK it should only come on when the fridge goes above a 'threshold'. Your compressor is probably running because your fridge is at 12 degrees. This would mean that the sensor is probably working and the problem lies elsewhere. Check all that has been suggested, the amonia level maybe low, you'll need to get a technician to check this.

Be careful, if it's running at 12 degrees then it's not safe. You shouldn't eat meat or dairy etc as bacteria levels maybe high. A fridge should run less than 5 degrees around 2-4 ideally

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

My parents just replaced their 35 year old "Ford" fridge, it still worked but the freezer door had broken...
    Wont see the likes of that again.

check the seals on your door, they can degrade or just fall away and so your cold air is leaking away and the fridge is constantly trying to cool down.

If your frerezer is ok I would guess the compressor is ok...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭baguio

GreeBo wrote:
    check the seals on your door, they can degrade or just fall away and so your cold air is leaking away and the fridge is constantly trying to cool down.
    Unfortunately, most of the manufacturers put them together in a way that a new seal cannot be fixed on - the whole door has to be replaced. And if you get a price on a new door, you'll know that your as well off buying a new fridge. Its criminal really. They are making people go out and buy again when the rest of the appliance is sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

dingding wrote:
    My Fridge freeer, built in, 9 years old. Does not appear to be cooling as well as it used to. THe compressor is running. Any ideas?

Do you know if it has two compressors? If so, and the freezer is ok, it's possible that the fridge has leaked a bit.

TBH though it doesn't really matter, even a minor repair will be expensive, and not worth it for a nine year old motor. Buy a new fridge freezer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

It has a single compressor for both parts. Must start looking for a fridge freezer.

Advertisement