Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tiger Barb advice

Options
  • 06-05-2007 9:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I just bought a new tropical fish tank. I have 8 small green tiger barbs in the tank at the moment and was wondering if there were any other breeds of fish that would be suitable to be in the tank with the barbs? and what fish should be a deffinate no-no.
    thanks
    Tom

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭animan

most fast swimming fish should be ok but stay away from fish with long fins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭LovelyTom

i was told by a friend that black phantom tetras and bala sharks work well with them, is that right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Poppy84

Hi Tom,

Stay away from Siamese Fighting fish and guppies, anything with long flowy fins. Some pet places will say its ok to put these in as long as the tiger barbs are kept in a group, it is not

I would also advise you to do your own research on them and not to take the advice of people selling them to you as stone, some of them blag it and it costs you dearly......we found out the hard way!

They tend not to like angel fish either, they should only be kept with other semi-aggressive fish, such as other barbs (not cherry barbs, though), certain cichlids like kribensis, firemouths, keyholes, etc.
    A red-tail black shark should be able to hold his own against barbs.

The larger the school of barbs you have, the less aggression they will display towards other fish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭LovelyTom

Thanks for the advice, I've decided to go for 4 more tiger barbs and 8 black phantom tetras, and they're working very well together. I was considering about buying a few clown loaches, would they be alright in the tank with the barbs?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

Take a look at http://www.irishfishkeepers.com/forum. It's a very active forum and you'll get plenty of advice there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Shane190

How big would the tiger barbs grow?? how many should i keep in a 30L tank? thanks in advance.

They grow to about 2.5 inches. I wouldn't have any more than 3 in a 30l tank. That's very small. Do you have heating and filtration? I'ts a necessity for tropical fish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Shane190

Yes, i have both..would neon tetras be ok with them?

Not really, Tetras are bit too agressive for them. You'll slowly see your neons disappear.

Advertisement