Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reliable babysitter wanted, Dunmore Road area

• 06-05-2007 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

Withdrawn

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,668 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Maybe you should have posted in parenting, but I would be very worried about the idea of finding a babysitter through a public chatroom. Please check out any answers very thoroughly and get some really solid references.
    I apologise if that sounds patronising, but I really think it wasn't a good idea to start with.

And come to think of it, it would be very ill-advised for a teenager to respond to this kind of a post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

LOl I'll do it.

I am an 18 year old male.

( rubs hands together while licking lips )

EDIT: why do you think it would be a bad idea for a teenager to reply?

Someone totally unidentified is asking for private messages arranging for a 15 or 16 year old (presumably female, but whatever) to (presumably) call to a house to be interviewed for a baby-sitting job. The OP is presumable genuine but naive, though you were quick enough to spot one of the problems. The implications of this kind of arrangement are very worrying though and go against all good practise of personal safety on the internet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

LOl that is a very good point which i did not think of. Perhaps foolishly I assumed that the OP was sincere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,778 ✭✭✭✭JPA

LOl I'll do it.

I am an 18 year old male.

( rubs hands together while licking lips )

EDIT: why do you think it would be a bad idea for a teenager to reply?

Creepy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

I read this last evening and had the very same worries....

Notice boards in ardkeen shopping centre/library would be the better choice, as it would most likely be a responsible parent looking for a job for his/her son/daughter would enquire about it first or with their offspring....

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭PetraMac

It's a credit to this board and the posters here to be so conscientious on this matter.
    I have to say I'm a little surprised at the reactions. Parents often post notices on public noticeboards in shops etc. looking for babysitters. Just because this is the Internet doesn't mean it's somehow "worse"!
    It goes completely without saying that I as a parent would apply the same strict checks and common sense to a person responding to a post here that I would to a potential babysitter found through any other medium. In other words, I would get all their details first (by PM), then I would speak to them on the phone, which is a very good way of filtering out non-candidates. If I was happy with all that, I would then call their references. All this would have to check out before I would even think about giving them my address. I certainly would not ask them to call over to my house without vetting them thoroughly first.
    Note that all of this happens without the potential babysitter finding out the first thing about my child, let alone meeting them.
    Maybe the posters here aren't parents and don't know how these things are done.
    PS. I looked at the Parenting forum but thought the Waterford-specific forum would be likely to have more chance of success.

Please don't take offence at our observations PetraMac, its not at all personal, as I said, I didn't really think you were not genuine, but I feel that the whole idea of doing things this way would be far too easily abused by unscrupulous people, and its better not to go down that road.

Hope you get someone, I know its difficult and yes I am a parent - though long after the babysitting stage! Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭PetraMac

Given the reaction here, on reflection I think it's best to withdraw my original request. Consider the topic closed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement