Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ram/vista question

Options
  • 06-05-2007 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭

ive already got 2 gigs of ram as indicated below. my question is if there is any point getting another 2 gigs for a total of 4gb of ram. reasons being ram is cheap at the moment (ill only be spending €110), im getting vista ultimate (ram eater), and i like my computer games.:D

any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Cant hurt I suppose! I would upgrade to 4 gigs if I had gotten 64bit vista :rolleyes:

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

DeafVision wrote:
    Cant hurt I suppose! I would upgrade to 4 gigs if I had gotten 64bit vista :rolleyes:

why would you only upgrade if you vista 64bit?...its ultimate 32 bit that i have

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

you need 64bit to get full use of 4 gigs.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

....oh....did not know that. so then really the limit of ram for 32 bit is 2 gigs of ram?? or will it just not use the full 4 gigs effectively. i guess ill see if i can go for 64 bit then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

32-bit and anything greater than 2GB of RAM is messy. If you put in 4GB then depending on the rest of the hardware in the system and the bios you will only get 3GB or roughly a small bit more usable because of physical address mapping.

Also applications need to be made aware of the RAM in order to make use of it which most pro apps are but games are not.

Short answer is use 64-bit if you want 4GB of RAM though there really isn't much point as a games machine, faster CPU/GPU will always be better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

2GB is fine.

S.

thanks guys, great help. i think ye just saved me from an unneccesary impulse buy.....i think ill go get myself a better moniter instead:D :D:D

Advertisement