Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HL Maths Question

Options
  • 06-05-2007 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,970 ✭✭✭

Off some weird mock paper we were given to do over the weekend, haven't the foggiest. From Q2 Paper 1

queshs8.png

Thar' she blows, tough one, that power is n by the way, n+3 etc... I've tried subbing in the different n+ values into the sin and cos then messing around with the indices, didn't work, tried subbing in X for sin0 and Y for cos0 but to no avail. Anyone help?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

Looks pretty odd at first alright. Here's how you do it:

(For ease of notation I'm going to use computer notation i.e. U(n), U(n+3) etc for the indices, and leave out the theta, since it's the only variable)

U(n) = sin^n+cos^n

[U(n+3) - U(n+5)]/U(n+1) = [sin^(n+3) + cos^(n+3) - sin^(n+5) + cos^(n+5)] / [sin^(n+1) + cos^(n+1)]

RHS numerator can be factorised as:

sin^(n+3)[1-sin^2] + cos^(n+3)[1-cos^2]

= sin^(n+3)[cos^2] + cos^(n+3)[sin^2] ...since sin^2 + cos^2 = 1

= sin^(n+1)[sin^2.cos^2] + cos^(n+1)[cos^2.sin^2] ...just borrowing powers from the multiplicators

=[sin^(n+1) + cos^(n+1)][sin^2.cos^2]

and the first bracket cancels with the denominator above and you're left with the RHS given in the problem.

Yep, got the same as Mr. Collins.

(I'm not just saying that - I have it written in front of me, and just pressed refresh and saw he posted it up).

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭rjt

Using the definition of Un, we get:

U_(n+3)-U(n+5) = sin^(n+3) -sin^(n+5) + cos^(n+3) - cos^(n+5) {I'm omitting the theta's}

= sin^(n+3)x(1-cos^2) + cos^(n+3)x(1-sin^2)
    = sin^(n+3)cos^2 + cos^(n+3)sin^2
    = sin^2cos^2(sin^(n+1) + cos^(n+1))
    = sin^2cos^2U_(n+1)

Therefore, ( U(n+3) - U_(n+5) ) / U_(n+1) = sin^2cos^2

If there's any problem with understanding this, I'll LaTeX it up for you; its hard to follow when written without proper formatting.

Edit: Agh, beaten to it ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

rjt wrote:
    ...Edit: Agh, beaten to it ;)

Yes! I win!

I was going to do it in LaTeX myself but realised it would take me about half an hour and I'd be beaten to it! I'm not the most proficient at LaTeX yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,970 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Thanks alot, was a tough one. It was kind of bastardish of them to put trig like that in question 2 paper 1 though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭md99

I HATE maths pre papers....

The real thing is USUALLY okay though

Advertisement