Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Name that series/book

Options
  • 07-05-2007 12:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭

I remember reading a fantasy series that I want to re-read but for the life of me can't recall the author or titles.... Google is no help from the details I remember...

It was about a duke(or such) who had a pack of hounds that killed his wife.... the hounds had names like rage,sorrow, good cheer etc

Ring any bells???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Possibly the Malazan series?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Fenster wrote:
    Possibly the Malazan series?

The Malazan series sounds good. Is it a series for adults or kids?

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭elusiveguy

that popped up in my searches alright but it doesn't seem like it....

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

The Malazan series sounds good. Is it a series for adults or kids?
    Adults definitely! It's a very complex, intelligently written series. Events in one book might trigger something three books later but in a way that will make sense. Demanding, yes, but very very rewarding.

I'll put it another way - the author had the whole series planned before he begun (right down to the titles of the books - all ten names have been available for ages).

It's become very popular in the last few years, especially here on boards. Book 7 is out today \o/

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

elusiveguy wrote:
    It was about a duke(or such) who had a pack of hounds that killed his wife.... the hounds had names like rage,sorrow, good cheer etc
    Another guess - Kate Elliott's "The Crown of Stars" series. That featured a host of characters. One of them, Alain, lived with a Duke who had hounds with names like "Rage" and "Sorrow". The hounds only obeyed him and the old Duke and pretty sure they killed the Duke's wife.

There were also other elements to the seven-books series: a vicious race called the Eika for example, a complex idea of magic based around astronomy, all set in places with names like Wendar and Darre.

Ring any bells?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

^^^this was the book that came to my mind when i read the OP's description

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭elusiveguy

ixoy wrote:
    Another guess - Kate Elliott's "The Crown of Stars" series. That featured a host of characters. One of them, Alain, lived with a Duke who had hounds with names like "Rage" and "Sorrow". The hounds only obeyed him and the old Duke and pretty sure they killed the Duke's wife.

There were also other elements to the seven-books series: a vicious race called the Eika for example, a complex idea of magic based around astronomy, all set in places with names like Wendar and Darre.

Ring any bells?

THATS IT!!!!!!!! Thank you!!!!

Advertisement