Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the best University in Ireland?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

trinity is gack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

Sangre wrote:
    trinity is gack.

Whatever happened to your precious college? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

ul is best campus by a mile.

trinity is best location and as far as variety of courses coupled with quality of education is probably the best closely followed by ucd (although its location and campus are cack imo) dcu's campus is better than trinity and ucd but its lcoation is bad too

when you go into individual courses each uni is best at something and worse at something so it really is amuch of muchness

personally ill be starting in ul next year coz it has by far the best digital media facilities iv seen in a college the campus is very new and really well designed.......has the best sports facilities in ireland ....and although limerick city has a bad rep the nightlife is really good.

if i was doing computer sci id go to dcu and if i was doing engineering id go to trinity(also trinners for law) or dit......ucd for business probably

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

PeakOutput wrote:
    if i was doing computer sci id go to dcu and if i was doing engineering id go to trinity(also trinners for law) or dit......ucd for business probably

What have you got to base any of that on?

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Babybing wrote:
    Oh and btw this idea that Quinn is by far the best business school is untrue. Trinity regularly trounces Quinn in the rankings and although I know a lot of people dont think rankings count for anything, and that certainly doesnt mean Trinity business is better than Quinn, surely it is enough to justify there is'nt much between them?

Quinn does have a far better choice of courses though.
    Well no, Quinn isn't the best business school - Smurfit is.

Do Trinity even have a business school?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭gilroyb

Yeah, Trinity has a postgrad business school.
    In terms of the MBA, Trinity is ranked 70th in the world, UCD/Smurfit is 98th.

http://rankings.ft.com/rankings/mba/rankings.html

As has been said, these rankings are definitely debatable, but both universities have these schools, and both are well regarded internationally. Can't we all just get along?

Ibid wrote:
    What's the "NUI, Galway" web-address ffs?
    Its www.nuigalway.ie
    Hope you were not taking the piss or I will feel awful stupid.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭cousin_borat

I'd say Trinity probably has the most recognition abroad. Course contents in other Universities are better but in countries where they look at what school where you went to looking for work Trinity comes out ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭stolenwine

Whats UCD Comp Sci department like? How does it match up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Steve01

Trinity ftw!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

Well no, Quinn isn't the best business school - Smurfit is.

Actually no, I'v done a reasonable amount of research - limited
    admittedly to the MBA programme’s (which is how you judge most business schools) and although Smurfit have a higher profile among undergraduates in terms of almost all reasonable measurers the Trinity MBA wins hands down.

As GilroyB pointed out the FT has ranked Trinity about 20 places higher then Smurfit on a worldwide scale and having looked through the stats in detail its hard to argue.

There are some places where Trinity have scored highly in areas of ‘debatable’ (eg international diversity etc) merit. But there are also indisputable facts are that the applicants to Trinity MBA have higher salaries going into the programme and the percentage increase in salary they get from doing the programme is higher when they come out then the Smurfit one. Lets not forget that an MBA is not generally taken for the acedemic value but for the career oppertunities - and as you look up the scale pay, and pay increase are ALMOST synomimous with the rankings. Also the schools you would expect to see at the top are there or thereabouts so I think its a reaonable study.

However it is certainly pretty indisputable that neither of them have any real international standing – if you were serious about doing an MBA you would want to look to the UK if not France.

EDIT: If anyone has any infomration on why the consider Smurfit to be *clearly* the best post grad business school in Ireland I would be really interested in it. I have actually found it quite wierd that it has acquired this repuation when most objective studies seem to at the very least put Trinity on a par.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

voted for UCD:D simply because it is the only college that offered the course i want ;) kidding...but truth...

and we all knew that actually any of these colleges like UCD ,UCC,TCD etc.(all these famous ones) can be said :'best colleges in Ireland'.why??different colleges have different strong point on different courses.

talk about the ranking of TCD and UCD,remember last time i saw them in very official ranking table(probably the best one you can find out there,i forget what exactly website it is,but it does compare every aspects of all the university on Earth in their table),TCd was about 400+,and UCD was about 500+,and through the table ,you can see the main reason they have different rankings:TCD have some BIG Awards points ahead UCD in there...my guess is...;) those 4 very famous Nobel prices winners back in old times??

no matter how..we are in the best colleges you can go in ireland (in Dublin)..regardless which one is no1 or no2...is that not enough for us?:)

overall,college is an bussiness in some people eyes....is it not??:rolleyes:

p/s:i have seen a doctor here now in UCD,used to study in RCSI(degree),then Trinity (for master?i cant remember clearly) ,and now she is applying as a lecturer and doing PhD in UCD!!great stuff,huh?:D

Nehpets wrote:
    What have you got to base any of that on?

just my opinion.................... i know people doing business in ucd and trinity i know people doing engineering in trinity and dit and ucd and i know people doing comp applications in dcu........i like talking to people about what they are doing and the impressions i have gotten of each from talking to them about it made me form opinions on which college i would prefer for each college..........if trinity had the undergrad programme for digital media or music tech that ul does with the same facilities id go there without a doubt mainly becuase,like it or not, there is a certain "prestige" in having a trinners degre..........that and the trinity ball

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭King.Penguin

so far the best arguments for one university being better than another is "because I said so". keep up the good work everybody.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Well, I almost have a degree, so I must be some sort of an authority. d:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Just trying to gauge what makes a University great and what Trinity has to offer in terms of being a great university.

"Understanding Poetry" by Dr. J. Evans Pritchard, Ph.D

*cough*

so far the best arguments for one university being better than another is "because I said so". keep up the good work everybody.

what other arguments did you expect?????

people disregard the rankings so after that is just peoples opinions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭aequinoctium

interesting...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Both Quinn and Smurfit hold the triple crown of accreditation . Very few schools world wide are that accredited, and as far as I know (and a quick google search) Trinity isnt one of them.

The Financial times might rank Trinnity a little higher, but on the other hand Smurfit is ranked 13th amongst the top European Business Schools by the the Economist Intelligence Unit and is the only Irish business school to gain a place in the rankings.

Stepping aside from the Business courses and just UCD vs Trinners as a whole.
    In a job interview I had we started talking about courses. Trinnity's free masters thing came up (if you get a 1st in your undergrad they simply give you a masters) and I was told that every employer in Ireland knows these arent worth ****, and that you can get in trouble if you apply to jobs in certain countries claiming to have a masters because many simply wont recognise it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

On the MBA thing UCD also offer 4 different MBAs whilst TCD only offer one MBA.

I think the fact that this discussion has been overtaken by the TCD/UCD thing and indeed the business thing is a bit disappointing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

What makes a third level institution "great" is what you put into it and what you take away from it at the end of the day.

Anything else is just cock-swinging.

Trinnity's free masters thing came up (if you get a 1st in your undergrad they simply give you a masters)

1st? Hardly! It's a lot more broad than that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_of_Arts_%28Oxbridge%29#Requirements

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

UCD because I'm a student here, and know pretty much know little or nothing about the other colleges (albeit a little on TCD)!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Spectator#1

Feminist reading of UCD/Trinity debate:

1. Trinity has a massive ball/UCD has no balls
    2. Trinity is Male/UCD is Female
    3. Women are better than men

1,2,3. UCD is better than Trinity. (QED)

I think that about clears things up. Any problems, talk to the breast... or Germaine Greer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭King.Penguin

Lol with spectator :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Bartronilic

Business in TCD is ****e.. simple as..

**** all maths taught, no real finance courses apart from one module in 3rd and one again in 5th.

If you want to learn business - do an undergrad in economics / maths / or something quantative and then do a postgrad in business.

Though from what I've heard, Quinn School aint much better.

In 5th what? 5th year? Theres 5 finance courses actually, over 2nd, 3rd and 4th year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Lemming wrote:
    What makes a third level institution "great" is what you put into it and what you take away from it at the end of the day.

Anything else is just cock-swinging.
    Have to entirely disagree. What makes a university great is very little to do with its undergraduate teaching or social life. It's primarily its permanent contribution to society through research.

Of course how good the societies are and how many pubs are in the locality havr a lot more bearing on which institution a CAO applicant will choose, but that's a seperate issue to what makes it great.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭Rosita

elmyra wrote:

Galway and Cork have great atmospheres about them and actually 'look' like universities.

Just curious. What does a university 'look' like?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Rosita wrote:
    Just curious. What does a university 'look' like?
    Bit like this :).

• Advertisement

Ibid wrote:
    Bit like this :).
    QFT.

Advertisement