Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dogs on buses

Options
  • 07-05-2007 10:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭

I'd quite like to get rid of my car, but I bring my dog for a walk every day in a park about 10 minutes' drive away.

It used to be permissible to bring dogs on buses if you brought them upstairs - but is this still so? I haven't seen a dog on a bus in an age.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

As far as i know they are allowed once they are well behaved. The odd time I see a dog on the bus they are usually very quite and just sit still.

You could always ask Dublin Bus and get the official answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Schlemm

I think that they're allowed at the discresion of the driver. Brought my dog on the bus once without any hassle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Hmm. I'll test it out tomorrow or Wednesday (not today, when drivers are liable to be narky from having to work on a bank holiday Monday). Thanks.

ANIMALS

No animal shall travel on a bus except with the permission of the driver (who may withdraw this permission at any time) and in such portion of the vehicle as the driver may direct. Expect guide dogs.

http://www.dublinbus.ie/your_journey/general_information.asp

Looks like its up to the driver. I.e during rush hour I dont think he'd allow it, but if its relatively quiet there shouldn't be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭JPA

luckat wrote:
    I'd quite like to get rid of my car, but I bring my dog for a walk every day in a park about 10 minutes' drive away.

It used to be permissible to bring dogs on buses if you brought them upstairs - but is this still so? I haven't seen a dog on a bus in an age.

What kind of dog is it? The driver probably wouldn't let a big dog on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

It is up to the drivers descretion.

I remember a few xmas eves back in Dublin (before I had my car) I had no way of getting to my parents house without getting a taxi or bus so went to use the bus.. Had the dog with me and the driver was fine about it.

2 days later (Stephens Day) A family member was rushed to hospital.. I wanted to bring the dog home so I could leave her there whilst I went down to the hospital.. Again i went to get the bus but the driver wouldnt let me on with the dog.. Bus wasnt full or anything.. Suppose the driver was afraid of dogs or just didnt like them.

She's a fairly big girl - collie-lab cross. Small children tend to ask if she's a wolf, because she looks just like a wolf in a storybook.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭Rigsby

I inquired about bringing my dog on the train. I was told only guide dogs and small lap dogs were allowed. The reason I was given was that someone took their dog on a crowded train. Someone stood on the dog's paw and it bit the person. The person sued the company hence the rule. The same rule applys to busses.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

This so puts me off moving back to Ireland. In the UK I can bring my dogs on any bus, train or tube I want with a limit of no more than two dogs per person and the dogs have to be on a lead and off the furniture. Everyone does it and there are no problems with it as the dogs learn how to behave on public transport from an early age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Schlemm

iguana wrote:
    This so puts me off moving back to Ireland. In the UK I can bring my dogs on any bus, train or tube I want with a limit of no more than two dogs per person and the dogs have to be on a lead and off the furniture. Everyone does it and there are no problems with it as the dogs learn how to behave on public transport from an early age.
    Same goes for most European countries, where you can have dogs in shopping malls, hotels, trams, busses, etc. without any hassle. Ireland is not a very dog-friendly country if you ask me!

• Advertisement

Yeah its annoying - If you want to travel via public transport from Dublin to say Cork or Galway with a dog then you *MUST* have private transport.
    I will be going back to college as a mature student soon and will have to keep the car as I have a responsibility to my dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭JB1

Now that's funny.Every other european country allowa a dog in public transport-as long as they have a valid tickets.These irish...:confused::D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

About a month ago we brought our two bichons on without any hassle. We were laden down with shopping. The dogs just sat quietly on the ground and it was fine. This was on a rather quiet evening though.

JB1 wrote:
    Now that's funny.Every other european country allowa a dog in public transport-as long as they have a valid tickets.These irish...:confused::D

Huh? You don't pay anything to bring your dogs on public transport in the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭JB1

Hi Iguana,
    in NL & germany you do and I think it's fair.However, you pay children fare.They simply accomodate for the space a medium dog or cat carrier would take.Someone else won't be able to fit in the bus or sit down.I ahve once travelled in amsterdam with 3 cat carriers...no hassle,just get a ticket.Also ahve a fairly large dog (110 pound) but not a prob..just get a ticket.I prefer that much over having to have a car.
    Of course, you don't have to buy a pint for the dog in the pub...

JB1 wrote:
    Hi Iguana,
    in NL & germany you do and I think it's fair.However, you pay children fare.They simply accomodate for the space a medium dog or cat carrier would take.Someone else won't be able to fit in the bus or sit down.

Fair enough, I guess as kids travel free in London so do animals.:D

Well, there's a question to ask the Greens. How are we doggy people supposed to be all environmental if we can't bring the pooch on the train?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 hotlips_h

luckat wrote:
    Well, there's a question to ask the Greens. How are we doggy people supposed to be all environmental if we can't bring the pooch on the train?

Totally agree. Ireland is extremely dog-unfriendly. You can hardly take them anywhere with you, although one of the pleasant side-effects of the smoking ban is that there are more pubs and coffee shops where you can sit outside.

Of course you can't bring a bike on the luas or Dart either, can you? That's equally bonkers. You certainly should be able to bring bikes and dogs during off-peak hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭2funki4wheelz

I've brought my dogs on the train the odd time - all 3 only last month to get them to their kennels when were going away.
    I thought they were allowed on intercity trains but not on the commuter ones. I've seen people with lap dogs quite a few times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭michelleans

Wow - I was under the impression that it was even stricter and no dog at any time was allowed on any public transport! Though I have never tried it in Ireland..

When my german shepherd was a pup I could take him on the buses in Turkey no problem, intercity and city buses (on my lap if crowded or at my side) Dogs are allowed on trains when crated only. Now he's fully grown I walk into town with him as he never gets tired..

I'd love to see dogs allowed on buses here and into shops etc (only the well behaved ones of course) but not just guide dogs.
    How about trying to get some support for this? There's a good citizen award for well behaved dogs in some other countries - something like this to prove your dog is well behaved allowing access to bus transport shop enterance etc? Doesn't sound unreasonable to me!

• Advertisement
Advertisement