Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

360 update out today

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭GrumPy

ahhhhh what! what is the deal with Live Messenger?? I cant access it because I have a 'Child Account'. its ridiculous. There isnt even an option to change it in th Family Settings GRRRRRRRR

Did you mammy set your xbox up for you? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭ciano1

ahhhhh what! what is the deal with Live Messenger?? I cant access it because I have a 'Child Account'. its ridiculous. There isnt even an option to change it in th Family Settings GRRRRRRRR
    i know its a pain......i even tried changing my date of birth on my hotmail address but that didnt work....i just made a new messenger account...its stupid the way theres not even a family setting to allow live messenger when a massive amount of live users have "child" accounts

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I thought that this messenger thing would allow us to merge together an existing list of contacts with the Xbox Live account. But it seems that I either have to switch to using a completely different MSN account now, the xbox one, or change the emails linked to the xbox account to be the one I have for MSN, but I don't really want to do that though as you are forced into using hotmail addresses then.

Oh well, was a nice idea.

I do like now knowing what game I've got in the drive though, but I need to find an easier game to play now to see what this achievement popup is all about.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Lord Oz

Haven't tried the update yet but how do you play h.264 videos on the 360 if you can't stream them off a pc?

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Grudle

robinph wrote:
    I thought that this messenger thing would allow us to merge together an existing list of contacts with the Xbox Live account. But it seems that I either have to switch to using a completely different MSN account now, the xbox one, or change the emails linked to the xbox account to be the one I have for MSN, but I don't really want to do that though as you are forced into using hotmail addresses then.

You don't need a Hotmail account to set up a MSN account. I have mine set up through gmail. You just enter your gmail or whatever account as your email and this is used to log you in to your own MSN account.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Got the update. all very nice etc. Started playing Rainbow 6V multiplayer and it hung in the middle of a game. Froze completely, had to restart console. Tried again, same thing happened :mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭Julez

Scruff wrote:
    Got the update. all very nice etc. Started playing Rainbow 6V multiplayer and it hung in the middle of a game. Froze completely, had to restart console. Tried again, same thing happened :mad::mad::mad::mad:

This happened to me just before my 360 got the three red lights!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Grudle wrote:
    You don't need a Hotmail account to set up a MSN account. I have mine set up through gmail. You just enter your gmail or whatever account as your email and this is used to log you in to your own MSN account.
    Well what I really want to do is change my MSN account that has a hotmail address to use the other email that I actually do use. Once a live account as a hotmail address linked to it though you can not remove it, you can change non hotmail addresses around though by the looks of the settings on www.live.com.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Julez wrote:
    This happened to me just before my 360 got the three red lights!!

B O L L O X

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Lord Oz wrote:
    Haven't tried the update yet but how do you play h.264 videos on the 360 if you can't stream them off a pc?

Local, either through disc or USB storage like flash or an external HD.

As for network link it's not something I have tried out yet but will tomorrow there is some talk that installing the Zune software makes MP4 files available in media sharing. There is also a plugin for WMP that makes it see MP4 files called WMP Tag which I will also test if it is the case that the Xbox 360 does not see MP4 files over a LAN.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭the-ging

Hey My 1 month gold account has expired and I havn't got a new one yet. Going to play some of the 1 player games I have first, but does the msn messenger work with a silver account?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Okay did some tests & had no problems payback MP4 files over the network.

If for whatever reason the Xbox 360 does not see the MP4 files in the shared folder;

* Make sure you have MP4 directshow decoders installed, MS says this is required though obviously most folks would have this if dealing with the video (note VLC/QuickTime and some other MP4 players are not directshow compatible). So that means install ffdshow if you don't already have it and Haali Media Splitter which is needed to parse MP4 files.

* The CCCP codec pack is a good all in once choice instead as it contains the above anyway and uninstall any other codec packs you have before installing it.

* If the videos still don't show after that then install the WMP MP4 Tag plugin as that will make WMP see MP4 files in it's own library.

Finally there is a nice FAQ from MS at this link for all things video related, for instance didn't know you could change the view modes for stretching content to fill the screen.

The FAQ also mentions that is is possible to embed a picture thumbnail that will show on the Xbox 360 UI into the video with the Zune software so that is something worth trying out as well I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

the-ging wrote:
    Hey My 1 month gold account has expired and I havn't got a new one yet. Going to play some of the 1 player games I have first, but does the msn messenger work with a silver account?

No

messenger does work with a silver account

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭shreddedloops

ciano how did you get messenger to work without making a new xbox profile? I cant seem to find any way of using a new messenger account with the xbox

i made a new messenger account using the email address tied to my gamertag

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭sinjin_smythe

ciano1 wrote:

But sure thats just a pain in the arse, i want to use my current msn adress with my xbox,, not make up a new one altogether

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭shreddedloops

ciano1 wrote:

ok thats alot easier said then done.

Do you have a different email address with your gamertag than you do with your orginal Windows Live account?

I dont think theres anyway to use 2 messenger accounts with the same email and I cant find anyway of using a different email with my gamertag ahhhhh

they are working on letting users over 13 use messenger http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/systemupdates/may07faq.htm

Advertisement