Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a List system?

Options
  • 07-05-2007 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭

In my travels across the country this bank holiday weekend I was struck by how many pictures of our leaders were strewn about the country. I saw posters of party policies, little soundbites on party colours reminding us what they have promised. And then I got to thinking about some of the outgoing members of the Dail and DeHondt. Maybe it's time to switch over to something else, like say a list system . This election is the first in many years where the issues will come into strongest focus. We will be voting for a set of policies of a specific party or grouping. So why not give them the chance to pick some competent people. Lord knows , the return of some deputies makes me shudder,and the thoughts of some of them becoming ministers is even more disturbing.

So would a list system be such a bad thing?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

Do you mean D'Hondt for the general election, or to be used in forming a Government? I presume the latter.

I really don't see why you think this will ensure a more competent Government, it's just a more specific spread of representation across the coalition parties. There are too many dodgy small parties: I'm thinking of the Greens, Sinn Fein and the PDs. I'm not too comfortable with the idea of Ministers out of any of those parties tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

No way, for a country this size, PR-STV is the one that gives the voter the choice as to who they elect.

I certainly choose between candidates of my chosen party and vote for them in the order I choose, and not the order their party HQ chooses!!

Advertisement