Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Limited or no connectivity

• 07-05-2007 1:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭

We got NTL cable into the house. Mate of mine has set up a wireless router. I bought a dongle. I can connect to the network but get a "limited or no connectivity" message.

Have the right WEP key. Tested on two other laptops and it works fine just not on my machine. Cant see any difference in the way the laptops are setup to my desktop.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

usually means you're not getting an ip address assigned. Make sure DHCP is enabled on the router and your laptop is set to get an ip address automatically.

Try switching off the wep temporarily to see if that's the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

My machine is set to get an IP automatically. DHCP is enabled on the router afaik.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

Go to a command prompt

and type ipconfig

Post the results

Not at the machine but will post exact results later.

When I connect with limited connectivity I get a 168 IP address. Should I be getting a 168 address? The router address is an 89.

The 89 address i suspect is an external ip address.

The router itself will usually have an 192.168.*.* address

What you need to post is the computers full internal ip address and the gateway ip address as reported by ipconfig.

Also post if more than one network connection is found.

Thanks

• Advertisement

Sorry, thats what I meant, 192.168 address is what I get when I have limited connectivity. Cant remember the gateway, will post later be back around 7-8pm.

I can detect several networks nearby.

Cheers,

Jumpa

The gateway should be in the 192.168 range.

Don't worry about other wireless networks, it is network interfaces that is important.

IE You may have a wired one installed, a wireless one etc

Ok weird. I am now getting a media disconnected message with ipconfig.I entered a static IP last time I was at the machine and it connected but couldnt browse. So removed the static ip just now and it again it connects but with media disconnected message.

Yeh, strange.

The fact that the other laptops connect seems odd.

Are the makes of router and usb dongle different?

May be some compatibility issues i suppose. Does the dongle work on other computers?

Can you turn off encryption on the router?

Dongle and router are different makes. Ill try it on another machine. Were using the same encryption info on all machines so not a problem there.

My mate says its a problem with the router. Its not dishing out 192 addresses.

• Advertisement

It is not so much that there might be a problem with the encryption, just that to work out the problem we should remove anything else that might be causing a problem.

IE With encryption off can you connect to the router correctly

Advertisement