Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broke my student card in half...!

Options
  • 07-05-2007 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭

...but it broke nicely down the centre of it's longitudinal axis (I know that's nerdy but meh) which means that both the barcode and the magnetic strip are still in perfect condition. Do I need to get a new one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

Nah don't bother. You'll only need ir for getting into the library and exams, and you don't really need it for exams if you have your exams card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Spectator#1

Nah, sellotape it and hope they don't tell you you do, it's like 6-8 euro for a new one and there'd be no point at this stage of the year!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

it's €13 for a new one!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

Sellotape... I mean Sticky-back plastic ftw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭stopyourshoppin

...but it broke nicely down the centre of it's longitudinal axis (I know that's nerdy but meh) which means that both the barcode and the magnetic strip are still in perfect condition. Do I need to get a new one?

i wouldn't bother because i think you get issued a new one next semester anyway. it would be a waste of €13. don't let the sellotape go over the magnetic part though for when you are scanning it in library. i hope when we get new cards that new pictures are taken. mine was brutal. i looked like a stressed out gollum. or do they use the photo they took in your first year?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

Depends - they could get all UCC on us. There they take a pic in first year then post out your student card the week before college or first week of - cue lots of peoples student cards being at their home addresses and them at their term addresses...

Normally though you just go in and get a new one and bring your old one as proof and you can get a new photo if you want.

Note to self: Do not go severely hungover this year and do not wear a red cardigan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 nylo

down the centre of it's longitudinal axis (I know that's nerdy but meh) QUOTE]

that is extremely nerdy.....

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

it's ok to sellotape it, i don't think the library ever use the magstripe

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

nylo wrote:
    down the centre of it's longitudinal axis (I know that's nerdy but meh) QUOTE]

that is extremely nerdy.....
    Well look who crawled out of the woodwork. I thought you had forgotten your password?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

you'll be grand.

worst case scenario get your barcode tatooed onto your hand so can scan in with a flick of your wrist.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭dcarroll

Depends - they could get all UCC on us. There they take a pic in first year then post out your student card the week before college or first week of - cue lots of peoples student cards being at their home addresses and them at their term addresses...

Normally though you just go in and get a new one and bring your old one as proof and you can get a new photo if you want.

Note to self: Do not go severely hungover this year and do not wear a red cardigan.
    now they use the same card for all 4 years, so the photo you have taken at 9.30am in your first ever week of college must last you for 4 years, cue big black eyes and very sick looking people on student cards

• Registered Users Posts: 12,596 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Getting a new one is free. Just bring it over to admin and ask them to replace it. Give them the old one and it won't cost a cent. I had mine replaced last month. Personally I'd make sure you have an intact valid one as some of the invigilators I know can be quite pedantic. I've worked as Section Head Invigilator for 5 years now and normally I wouldnt be too fussy but sometimes you get cards that look like they've been deliberately tampered with, so we've been instructed to ask everyone to bring intact cards.
    Please remember to bring them to all of your exams. People often gripe about how unfair the exams are on students, but it's also tough for invigilators if an entire class is missing their cards or if the exam was booked for 5 people as no one showed up in lectures for that option all year and then suddenly 200 people want to sit it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

dcarroll wrote:
    now they use the same card for all 4 years, so the photo you have taken at 9.30am in your first ever week of college must last you for 4 years, cue big black eyes and very sick looking people on student cards

Are you sure? Because they offered me a new photo this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭pbsuxok1znja4r

I seem to have lost my student card, with my exams starting this week! What's the quickest way for me to get a new one?? I still have my intact old card from last year but I don't supposed that's valid or any use...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭upmeath

I seem to have lost my student card, with my exams starting this week! What's the quickest way for me to get a new one?? I still have my intact old card from last year but I don't supposed that's valid or any use...

Go to admin on Monday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭pbsuxok1znja4r

upmeath wrote:
    Go to admin on Monday
    As in....Tierney building, yeah? Cool, can they sort it like, on the spot?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭BKtje

Go to student desk, ask for new card, wait for new card (circa 3mins), give €13 (or garda signed thingy saying it was stolen), take student card, dance all the way home.

Advertisement