Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Changing my Brit car over

Options
  • 07-05-2007 2:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭

I'm moving home to Dublin after four years in Wales. I somehow acquired a car (yet to acquire a full licence though). I'm not sure how to change it over when I get home.

There is the added complication that I started my insurance in November and I want to keep my no claims bonus so I can't change over until November. Is this legal? Will I have any difficulties with the Gardai driving around on British insurance/tax/mot for a few months?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭CoNfOuNd

As far as I know...(I may be wrong..)

Insurance - most insurers will cover you to travel to other EU countries. They may want to be informed first before the cover is valid, and it may only be for 60 or 90 days. They may have to post you out a 'green card' (I think its called) for EU travel but most insurers no longer do.

Tax - as long as it's current, can't see any problem with it being English.

MOT - you will need to register Irish plates when it comes to renewing your MOT in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Technically you're supposed to have it registered here within 24 hours of arrival if you are moving here. If you have the car more than 6 months in wales you should have no problems.

Advertisement