Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kenny blames McDowell for Leaks

Options
  • 07-05-2007 3:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭

Enda Kenny has claimed Michael McDowell is behind the leaking of Bertie's finances http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0507/election.html

Outrageous claim, totally senseless. Why would the leader of the PDs seek to damage the Fianna Fail party? The PDs rely on Fianna Fail transfers and both parties are close ideologically.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Hmmm as far as I know he didn't name names, RTE look like they are making assumptions. Wasn't this what Mary O'Rourke said at the time of Bertiegate 1, infact I believe she was saying it was someone in FF.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

I'd like to see an actual quote from Kenny, judging from the article he just said it wasn't FG and then RTÉ inferred the rest.

The interesting thing is if this leak is identified back to the Government side what further effect will it have on their support. Certainly torpedo's (again) their stable government claim if they are trying to stab each other in the back all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

ateam wrote:
    Outrageous claim, totally senseless. Why would the leader of the PDs seek to damage the Fianna Fail party? The PDs rely on Fianna Fail transfers and both parties are close ideologically.

And McDowell is such a level headed man , who never did anything strange....

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Dandesav

I'd like to see an actual quote from Kenny, judging from the article he just said it wasn't FG and then RTÉ inferred the rest.

I'm pretty sure Seán O'Rourke pushed Kenny and he named McDowell himself.

It seems a bit of a stupid thing to do. The whole Tom Parlon thing would only strengthen FG because it made the PDs look desperate, so why turn around and do the exact same thing?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭ateam

Not sure if it's on the rte site yet, but I was listening to it anyway and when asked to name the figure he was accusing of leaking the information, he said Michael McDowell.

This claim was made on the day Fine Gael are launching their manifesto and in which they hope to talk about the issues. Kenny has shown his true mud slinging colours by making such a preposperous allegation. By making this allegation, it totally undermines his wish to talk about the issues.

The opposition leaders have shown no leadership on the Bertie affair, instead they're worried that Fianna Fail will experience a bounce like the last Bertie affair. They more worried about that than showing any real leadership.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

It was Rabbitte himself on last Mondays' Questions and Answers who said he asked hard questions but then stopped asking them when he went down 5 points and Bertie went up 5 in the polls last October...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

gandalf wrote:
    The interesting thing is if this leak is identified back to the Government side what further effect will it have on their support. Certainly torpedo's (again) their stable government claim if they are trying to stab each other in the back all the time.
    It makes no political sense for McDowell to do it. It might be an anti-Bertie rump in FF, but from what I hear he's got few enemies in there.
    I wonder if Kenny has a guilty conscience......;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheVan

Pushed further, he continued: "Who has been contacting journalists about leaks and giving him information? Who has been tearing pages out of department files and handing them to journalists. Fine Gael is not responsible for this and we don't descend to that level."

In all fairness, I don't think McDowell would do something that stupid. Some crazy, desperate PD might do it but its much more likely to be an internal FF thing.

Its an insane allegation to be throwing around unless he has proper proof.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,830 ✭✭✭SeanW

Frankly, I don't believe Kenny said that without a quote. RTE's reporting has been getting quite fanciful, like Charlie Bird's claim that McDowell and the Pee Dees were going to walk from the government in less than 24 hours? At this point I'm starting to think rumour has replaced fact as the currency of information, and personally speaking I certainly wouldn't rule out this whole thing as an attention grabbing ploy by McDowell.

The alternative coalition has been focusing on the issues, and they've just released a manifesto today. How many people know this? How many people consider that important news when all the headlines and all the main newspieces are swamped with a million different outtakes and perspectives of "Bertie and his money."

Remember that the alternative coalition have been staying relatively silent on this because they lost last time they tried to make Bertiegate I into something. I also sense that they are genuinely concerned about the real problems Ireland faces. So as to what in heavens name they have to gain from jumping head first into Bertiegate II, I don't know!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I can't see the point in committing to the no comment route and then lashing out at the PDs. If he said it he either cracked under pressure and blurted out nonsense or is a terrible tactician. I'd go with the former tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

SeanW wrote:
    Frankly, I don't believe Kenny said that without a quote. RTE's reporting has been getting quite fanciful, like Charlie Bird's claim that McDowell and the Pee Dees were going to walk from the government in less than 24 hours? At this point I'm starting to think rumour has replaced fact as the currency of information, and personally speaking I certainly wouldn't rule out this whole thing as an attention grabbing ploy by McDowell.

Charlie Bird has been on the record to say that he rang the PD's press office numerous times on Saturday and they didn't say no when asked are they pulling out of govt. The press office were as in the dark as the rest of us, Charlie included, it appears.

Its one thing to have a go at the nation's favourite politician, but the nation's favourite journalist? Sessh! The PD's have it bad!

The thing about RTÉ and the broadcast media as a whole, is you hear the politicians live and unedited and are editorially independent. For this election, Newstalk is a welcome addition.

SeanW wrote:

The alternative coalition has been focusing on the issues, and they've just released a manifesto today. How many people know this? How many people consider that important news when all the headlines and all the main newspieces are swamped with a million different outtakes and perspectives of "Bertie and his money."

Remember that the alternative coalition have been staying relatively silent on this because they lost last time they tried to make Bertiegate I into something. I also sense that they are genuinely concerned about the real problems Ireland faces. So as to what in heavens name they have to gain from jumping head first into Bertiegate II, I don't know!

Choose to ignore it if you like, but Enda Kenny did undoubtedly say Michael McDowell was behind the leaking of the information.

By doing this, Enda is contradicting himself by diverting attention away from the issues and putting spotlight again on Bertie's finances. Kenny can't have it both ways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

It makes no political sense for McDowell to do it.
    Are you kidding? He's been featured in just about every national news bulletin since last Friday, he's gone from political insignificance verging on complete annhilation to somebody whose being talked about in almost every home in the country where there's an interest in politics.

I think he's been playing some very messy publicity games, and I don't think it's working out like he might have expected.

Just watching the news here and he NEVER mentions Herr Flicks name. He was responding to the sissy fits from FF that FG are behind the leaks (without any proof, even admitted by Noel Ahern) so he cannot be held responsible for letting this run on. The person at fault for all this is Bertie Ahern, if he only conducted himself properly and not as a conduit for dodgy funds from developers then we wouldn't be going through this.

I think it was a stupid thing for Kenny to say, but I do think he was misunderstood.

It seems that what he meant was that McDowell spent a few days last week talking secretly to journalists and getting the information that they had. He then used this information as the basis for his asking the Taoiseach to make a statement. I don't think that he meant that McDowell is behind the actual leaks.

Still a stupid thing to say though- it'll overshadow their manifesto launch.

Dandesav wrote:
    I think it was a stupid thing for Kenny to say, but I do think he was misunderstood.

It seems that what he meant was that McDowell spent a few days last week talking secretly to journalists and getting the information that they had. He then used this information as the basis for his asking the Taoiseach to make a statement. I don't think that he meant that McDowell is behind the actual leaks.

Still a stupid thing to say though- it'll overshadow their manifesto launch.

Kenny is politically ineffective, a weak leader. He would ruin our international reputation.

ateam wrote:
    Kenny is politically ineffective, a weak leader. He would ruin our international reputation.

So the corruption of Charlie Haughey, Bertie Ahern and lots of others hasn't damaged our reputation, but an honest man who mightn't exactly be the most exciting in the world, but who will still work hard for the country will?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

An honest man who is in fact very well spoken, has the longest record of public service in the Dail, is well educated and has already shown a level of leadership in his party that has been unprecedented in recent times. You think that's more embarrassing than Bertie?

For what it's worth, I think Enda Kenny is a very respectable political ambassador for this country, even Presidential material.

• Advertisement

ateam wrote:

Like Bertie the Borrower hasn't :rolleyes:

Also just a thought who would have easier access to the Tribunals documents, someone in Government or opposition?

InFront wrote:
    An honest man who is in fact very well spoken, has the longest record of public service in the Dail, is well educated and has already shown a level of leadership in his party that has been unprecedented in recent times. You think that's more embarrassing than Bertie?

Bertie Ahern has shown great statesmanship over the past 10 years and was hugely influential in the pursuit of peace in the North. He also led this country's presidency of the EU with huge success.

Kenny, on the other hand, was Minister of Tourism for 2 years back in the mid 90s.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

ateam wrote:
    Bertie Ahern has shown great statesmanship over the past 10 years and was hugely influential in the pursuit of peace in the North. He also led this country's presidency of the EU with huge success.

Kenny, on the other hand, was Minister of Tourism for 2 years back in the mid 90s.
    Kenny didn't sign blank cheques for the most corrupt Leader in our history who tranished our international reputation, however Bertie on the other hand .......

Bertie Ahern also has cast the integrety of the offices of the Minister of Finance and the Office of Taoiseach into doubt with highly dubious Financial transactions with a group of people some of whom went onto State boards who were appointed by Ahern and his Government.

As for the Peace process alot of people before him did an awful lot of donkey work on it as well so he's not quite that solo hero you make out.

I can just see a conservative having that Arguement about Tony Blair before the faithful election that swept him into power as well.

irish1 wrote:
    Kenny did sign blank cheques for the most corrupt Leader in our history who tranished our international reputation, however Bertie on the other hand .......

Illustrate exactly how our international reputation has been tarnished by allegedly signing blank cheques given that we've had a halt to emigration, an influx of thousands of immigrants including ex-emigrants and we've imported hundreds of foreign multinationals...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

1)Fine Gael have accepted McDowell's word that he did not do it.

2)Kenny never named McDowell, but it is obvious who he meant, there is no other interpretation of his words.

3)I think that some people are being hard on Kenny for the wrong reasons. Abroad, aside from being Ginger;) , he probably wouldn't do us much damage. A year or two ago, he would have, but FG have worked on him and got him up to scratch, so he could probably go abroad without embaressing us.
    What would concern me is that he has only ever held a single ministry (for only two years), and did not distinguish himself while in that ministry.

Oh btw ateam didn't Bertie make a statement in the UN General Assembly about our charitable donations that the government subsequently went back on. Is that the type of embarressment you are talking about?

1)Fine Gael have accepted McDowell's word that he did not do it.

2)Kenny never named McDowell, but it is obvious who he meant, there is no other interpretation of his words.

3)I think that some people are being hard on Kenny for the wrong reasons. Abroad, aside from being Ginger;) , he probably wouldn't do us much damage. A year or two ago, he would have, but FG have worked on him and got him up to scratch, so he could probably go abroad without embaressing us.
    What would concern me is that he has only ever held a single ministry (for only two years), and did not distinguish himself while in that ministry.

In regard to your second point, you obviously didn't listen to the News at One where he emphatically named McDowell.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

gandalf wrote:
    with a group of people some of whom went onto State boards who were appointed by Ahern and his Government.

Ah but didn't he tell Dobbo that he didn't appoint them because they gave him money, he appointed them because they were his friends :rolleyes:

Seriously I don't know which reason is worse.

• Advertisement

gandalf wrote:
    Oh btw ateam didn't Bertie make a statement in the UN General Assembly about our charitable donations that the government subsequently went back on. Is that the type of embarressment you are talking about?

I never used the word embarrassing.

I also did not paint Bertie as a hero in the Northern Ireland peace process but that he had a large part to play in the peace process.

Advertisement