Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kenny blames McDowell for Leaks

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Whoever it was I have no doubt that the leak came from within the current government, as the school mistress said last time out.

It could well be McDowell - he certainly has put the spotlight on his info from "a number of sources" - of whom we know Jody Corcoran is one.

Whoever it is I think it's unfair that Enda Kenny has been drawn into this, he has more integrity than all of FF and the PDs put together and will be a Taoiseach we can be proud of. And one who can pronounce his "th"

Dis is de end of de Tee-shock Bertie Ahern :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

ateam wrote:
    I never used the word embarrassing.

No you didn't but you did say Enda would ruin our reputation? Did Bertie help it by lying to the UN (hmmm I am seeing a pattern here).
    I also did not paint Bertie as a hero in the Northern Ireland peace process but that he had a large part to play in the peace process.

Actually he played a small role in it. But hey I think we are going to disagree on this until the cows come home. It could also be said without Garrett Fitzgerald and the Anglo Irish Agreement there would be no peace process. But the man who you should be lauding as the main person who helped deliver the peace process is John Hume.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

ateam wrote:
    In regard to your second point, you obviously didn't listen to the News at One where he emphatically named McDowell.
    In his original remarks he did not name McDowell, it was only later that he said that it was McDowell.
    athtrasna wrote:
    Whoever it is I think it's unfair that Enda Kenny has been drawn into this,
    He was not "drawn in", he jumped in. He accused a member of the coalition of deliberately sabotaging that government, most likely in order that FF voters in a certain two constituencies would no longer transfer to a PD candidate.

The Minister to be fair he was responding to questions about the FF assertation that someone in FG was behind the leaks, so in effect he was drawn into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

In his original remarks he did not name McDowell, it was only later that he said that it was McDowell.

He was not "drawn in", he jumped in. He accused a member of the coalition of deliberately sabotaging that government, most likely in order that FF voters in a certain two constituencies would no longer transfer to a PD candidate.

He was drawn in, he's been asked about this every day for the last 2 weeks, everybody has their breaking point. The childish crap that Cowen came out with yesterday forced Enda into it. Cowen showed himself for the true bully that he is. If he is ever Taoiseach, I'm emigrating!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Noel Ahern was putting the blame on FG although he has no evidence to support it.

TBH I'd rather all the parties dropped the blame game and got back to what this election should be about, i.e. the issues that the public want to see addressed, the dog on the street knows Bertie is a crook so lets just move on.

Oh thats my opinion btw.

irish1 we would if the PD's would let us. (and you can read that comment whatever way you want ;))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

I think Enda was drawn into it. To be fair, he probably shouldnt have mentioned Mr Mc Dowell, but the truth is that the PDs have re ignited this whole controversy with their antics at the weekend. Yesterday Brian Cowen clearly blamed the opposition for it. Then Noel Ahern said today that it was Fine Gael, even though he admitted that he had nothing to prove it. Why would Fine Gael want this controversy to keep going on and on? I realise that Fine Gael have brought a new twist to the story, but its only right that Fine Gael should be able to defend themselves, especially when as we know that what Tom Parlon said about the 'bombshell' Fine Gael were supposed to dropping on May 21 was shown to be completely untrue.
    Fianna Fail are now trying to smear Fine Gael, saying that Fine Gael were responsible for the controversy appearing and going on. Every time Enda was asked about the controversy all he said was that it was up to Bertie to decide what Bertie should do.Personally I think that they want it to go on and on, because they are hoping for a sympathy vote if it lasts long enough. Then they said that FG were very interested a few weeks ago about Berties finances. The only problem with that was that this was a story that was 7 years old as Richard Bruton explained on the 6.1 news this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,830 ✭✭✭SeanW

Also as the saying goes "there's no such thing as bad publicity" and FG+Lab have been getting almost no publicity of any kind with everyone preoccupied with Bertie's money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

ateam wrote:
    Kenny is politically ineffective, a weak leader. He would ruin our international reputation.

As opposed to "Backhander Bertie" and "Charvet Charlie"?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭JerkyBoy

Enda Kenny was clearly pointing to the fact that it has been McDowell, and not FG, who in the last few days has been getting leaked information from the Tribunal and using it as a political tool.

Just look at what happened on Saturday night \ Sunday morning.
    McDowell using tribunal information for political ends.

FG had been silent on the matter until Noel Ahern, Cowen and others began to accuse FG of being behind it all, all while admitting they have no evidence.
    THAT is the only clear example of dirty politics I've seen so far!

And I'm no FG fan, but this is all blown totally out of proportion.
    They still have my confidence over FF\PDs.

Fine Gael have refused to retract Enda Kanny's allegation that McDowell is the one hurting Bertie.

Fine Gael have refused to retract Enda Kanny's allegation that McDowell is the one hurting Bertie.

McDowell IS the one currently hurting Bertie!
    He's the one who is demanding a statemtent based on leaked tribunal information that has put Bertie into the position of actually agreeing to give one.

FG did not put Bertie in this position...McDowell did by seeking leaked information from the Tribunal.

It's unbelievable spin to try and turn this around on FG.

What Enda Kenny said is true...FF need to point their finger at McDowell for Bertie's current problems. He's the one with the leaked info, and he's the one using it politically.

Enda Kenny accused Michael McDowell of leaking the information to the press. If this is not true then Kenny should apologise.

Enda Kenny accused Michael McDowell of leaking the information to the press. If this is not true then Kenny should apologise.

Could you quote Enda Kenny on this please?

AFAIK, a spokesperson has already clarified what Kenny meant, and that it was in regard to the recent press conference by McDowell.

I await the quote where Kenny says that McDowell leaked the tribunal info to the press...

Well it wouldn't be the first time that Herr Flick has leaked something to the press now would it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

JerkyBoy wrote:
    I await the quote where Kenny says that McDowell leaked the tribunal info to the press...

RTÉ Radio 1, News at One, on Monday 8th May, in an interview with Sean O'Rourke.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0507/news1pm.html

10 minutes into the clip linked there, under Enda Kenny's name, is where the interview goes onto the PD's and at 11'45" secs, he mentions Mr. McDowell as the source of the leak.

And from here
    As he wound up his manifesto launch this morning, Enda Kenny claimed that if the Taoiseach wanted to know who was putting out information from Tribunals he only had to look across the cabinet table.
    Later on the RTÉ Radio's News At One, he confirmed he had meant Michael McDowell, prompting a furious response from the PD leader.

This afternoon Enda Kenny's spokesman said he did not intend to allege the Justice Minister had been responsible for the original leak from the Tribunal about the Taoiseach's financial affairs but had been referring to events of the last week when Mr McDowell's adviser had been passed material relating to the inquiry.

But Enda Kenny hasn't denied that McDowell has been the source of subsequent leaks. For some reason, and only RTÉ know best, this clip wasn't broadcast subsequently in other news bulletins.

It does sound like he's insinuating the leaks could be from McDowell given his history. But the crux of his point was that Bertie need worry more about McDowell and leaks than FG and leaks.

He only came out with this in response so accusations against FG so it sounds like he's using attack as the best form of defence, which personally I feel is lame.

However, I still think regardless of all this, and who leaked it or not...Bertie has to go...he sacked poor Ivor for getting a mere paintjob...Bertie is taking breifcases full of 10s of thousands in cash, among other dodgy payments.

If Bertie was a lower-level TD he'd be gone by now.

Same rules should apply to all.
    FF should sack him.
    The more they defend him, the worse they all look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭patzer117

JerkyBoy wrote:
    It does sound like he's insinuating the leaks could be from McDowell given his history. But the crux of his point was that Bertie need worry more about McDowell and leaks than FG and leaks.

Rubbish! Who the hell leaked it to the Sunday Independant from the tribunal? if you're saying it's McDowell then I hope you have a solicitor and are able to back up that claim. What Kenny said was tantamount to saying just that and it's rebounded in his face. The leak from the tribunal is meant to damage bertie and as such, say FF, it's more likely that it came from Fine Gael...

Maybe its Albert.......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

stepbar wrote:
    Maybe its Albert.......

Reynolds?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭RalphCifaretto

It's fairly interesting that FG are targetting the PDs. They must feel the potential PD collapse is key to their post election strategy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

daveirl wrote:
    This post has been deleted.

It's not Albert!

Patrick Bartholomew Ahern is the name.

;)

Heinrich wrote:
    Reynolds?

Yes, Albert Reynolds.... jeez

It's fairly interesting that FG are targetting the PDs. They must feel the potential PD collapse is key to their post election strategy.
    Not really. They do it every election.

Advertisement