Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend Good Road Wheels

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Yeah, they are not bad. The fulcrums are more or less rebadged Campy wheels as far as I know and around that price point are about as light as you will get.

If you want to go about half a pound lighter for another 100 euro...
    http://www.velotec.ie/product_info.php/cPath/22/products_id/35?osCsid=ff0201e95a19188a523cf4b00d6e9525

Decent wheels too, don't let the brand name put you off, they are lighter than most and ride nicely. But if you don't want to stretch to that, then in the 200 euro bracket the ones you have picked out sound good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭theo4130

ive only heard great things about the xero wheels, when i upgrade i will for sure buy some of these.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

Quigs Snr wrote:
    If you want to go about half a pound lighter for another 100 euro...
    http://www.velotec.ie/product_info.php/cPath/22/products_id/35?osCsid=ff0201e95a19188a523cf4b00d6e9525

I have never heard of that website before. Is it IRISH?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Yeah its Irish, I think its Padraig Marrey's business and is based in Galway. I might be wrong but I think Padraig might ride for Murphy and Gunn these days, at any rate, its a reputable site and is Irish.

The other option you could go for is custom build wheels... but you need to know what you are looking for and find yourself a good wheel builder.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Fulcrums look cool are good and stiff (no flex) and roll brillantly. Spend as much as you can on good wheels as this will probably be the most important upgrade you will do.

• Advertisement

i suppose i cant get much worse that what i have at the moment

sorry for bringing up an old post but i didnt want to start a new thread. A mate of mine is selling a set of Bontrager select wheel fairly cheap (there are the wheels from the trek 1500)
    Is this much of a upgrade from my extisting Bontrager wheels ?(the ones from the trek 100)

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mucco

E@gle. wrote:
    sorry for bringing up an old post but i didnt want to start a new thread. A mate of mine is selling a set of Bontrager select wheel fairly cheap (there are the wheels from the trek 1500)
    Is this much of a upgrade from my extisting Bontrager wheels ?(the ones from the trek 100)

I have those on my 1500, and I think they're ****e. I've got myself a cheap Ultegra front off ebay (£40 sterling) and a nice stiff rear for about £80. Much better.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭crashoveroid

Campag wheels are good i use Campagnolo Neutron Wheel Set best set i have ever had not one issue with these wheels great all round wheel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Stereophonic

Would these wheels be allowed in races?

55cz610shset.jpg

• Advertisement

Would these wheels be allowed in races?

55cz610shset.jpg

Yeah they are my mate races on them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

Pardon my ignorance, but what's the deal with wheels? I read here that they are the single most important upgrade you could make. I ride a Trek 1400 with stock Bontrager wheels. I have read in many places that these wheels are sh*te. Would better wheels be lighter? Where does the increased performance come from?

bogmanfan wrote:
    Pardon my ignorance, but what's the deal with wheels? I read here that they are the single most important upgrade you could make. I ride a Trek 1400 with stock Bontrager wheels. I have read in many places that these wheels are sh*te. Would better wheels be lighter? Where does the increased performance come from?

Wheels are one of the best things to put on a bike next to yourself LOL
    Wheels that have being great reviews at the moment are the Mavic Askiums i been on a pair and they are good and well priced as well at €150.00 for the set. or you may want to go the route of getting hand buit wheels that will last you years and years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

theo4130 wrote:
    ive only heard great things about the xero wheels, when i upgrade i will for sure buy some of these.

I have a set of Xero Lites on one of my bikes and would recommend them. They'te well built and are a good balance of lightness and value. There seems to be an updated range out now so there are bound to be bargains to be had.

ok so i have decided to go with the xero's wheels i can get a set for €250 from my local dealer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Stereophonic

Does anyone know if the Fulcrums are good Wheels?

I was looking at the Fulcrum 1's. I like the Fulcrums apart from the red colour...

Does anyone know if the Fulcrums are good Wheels?

I was looking at the Fulcrum 1's. I like the Fulcrums apart from the red colour...

fulcrum 1's are available in silver also. they are €600 + afaik

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Nice to hear from Quigs Snr that he recommends the Xero wheels, because thats what I bought from Velotec. They are putting a bike together for me.

Quigs Snr did the Etape (and wrote a great report).

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Mavic Open Pros on the hub of your choice should make for a very decent budget wheel.

Advertisement